Pirate 4x4 banner

dash lights

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  EWong 
#1 ·
I was wiring some new gauges to the dashlights, so they would light up when the dash lights were on.
I must of touched something, because now the dash lights do not come on at all?
I checked all the fuses and they are all good. There is a relay on the right side under the dash. Could i have shorted that? Is there a fues anywhere else?

#5 ·
John H said:
You better just let me take a look at that.:D
How about playing tow truck instead ;) Need to get over to Ryan's for a little plasma action :D
Took the truck on 17 yesterday. Two words, DEATH WOBBLE :eek:

#9 ·
Fueler said:
GEEZZ....thats a helluva road to test road manners on:eek: :eek:
don't have much to choose from, do I:flipoff2:

#12 ·
Arnold said:
Like 2stroke said it's probably the taillight relay. I had to replace mine a few years back when my dash lights went out.
where is this relay?

#14 ·
Alot of the toyota wiring is very small gauge...

When i wired up all my autometer's i simply used the parking lights as a signal for a 30amp relay, then hooked the lights to the relay so they get good strong power.

#15 ·
According to the schematic the dash lights do work off the tail light relay, which feeds the tail light fuse. There is a fuseable link before the relay, and if that was bad power door locks and windows wouldn't work in addition to the dash and tail lights.
If you tapped into the circuit at dimmer switch, you will have problems.

#16 ·
I may be wrong but isn't everything in a Toyota switched on the negatve side?
You know, normally everything is grounded and the switch, rheostat etc. is on the positive side but in a Toy it's the opposit.

If I remember right when I wired my temp guage I tied the positive into the light fuse and ran the negative over to the dimmer rheostat.
I could be wrong though, spent all morning inhaling contact cement fumes.:rasta:

#20 ·
Ya CAN wire to the dimmer swithc *IF* you wire the instrument lights to take into account a ground switched configuration.

I have my autometers wired this way. The dimmer controsl the dash AND the autometer lights.

Wont work on the Monster tach as the one I have ties the tach ground and the light ground together...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.