Pirate 4x4 banner

make a 88 4runner into a pickup????

1K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  TOY 2 
#1 ·
I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for:flipoff2:

I want to make the 88runner into a pickup........kinda like vova did to make his regular cab an extra cab( cut the front pillars and under the seat):D ......Will the back body mount line up to the back cab mount on the regualer cab????? will a bed bolt onto the back of the runner frame???........Has anyone put a pickup body on a 4runner frame?????

HELP

#3 ·
The only reason I'm going to do this is because I can't get a title on the 88 4 runner......I had the cops run it and it came back clean(not stolen) but when I went to the DMV they told me that the title was in a lein holders name and it would be almost impossible to get a title for that vin#..........I have a title for a cab that I have sitting on the side of my house .........So i figured that I could make the runner into a pickup and then I would have a title:D ......

I have a good friend that owns a body shop so the swap job would be easy:D ......No dash swap, No wiring to deal with.....Just a little sazall and some welding:D ........This thing don't need to look good just functional as a wheeler/trash hauler

#10 · (Edited)
TOY 2 said:
I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for:flipoff2:

I want to make the 88runner into a pickup........kinda like vova did to make his regular cab an extra cab( cut the front pillars and under the seat):D ......Will the back body mount line up to the back cab mount on the regualer cab????? will a bed bolt onto the back of the runner frame???........Has anyone put a pickup body on a 4runner frame?????

HELP
how about this, i have an 85 cab and bed you can have for nothing if you come and get them? and maybe gimme a hand taking them off

Josh
pm me if youre interested

edit: never mind i just read more and saw you didnt want a cab

#11 ·
TOY 2 said:
I think I will just do it and post some tech on it latter:D .......or if bones does it first maybe he will help me out;)
It'll be a month or so until I get to crackin' on my pile. I'll probably just wap the enitre cab if I go that route. My inner fender areas are all bent to shit. When I went to put on my new fenders, the holes didn't line up to well :D PLus my A-pillars are rusting from the inside out I noticed :D One more reason not to buy another cab from around here and go tube..lol

As far as legalities go here in MO, I contacted the MO Highway Patrol and here's what he said in a nutshell. Have a title for BOTH rigs, after it's built I would then need to drive it to the HP headquaters and have them inspect it. Assuming all goes well there, they woud then issue me one title (assuming the PU cab one) and then the other title would be scraped or whatever they do with that to take it out of the system.

Now if you do what you plan to do it could get sticky if you yourself change out either the VIN plates on the doors or dash. If you want it to be legit incase of future sale or you plan to rob a bank, check into it with your HP or DMV. Yes the rear body mounts will need to be moved, not sure on the bed. I've never seen a nice one around here worth using..:D

#12 ·
Too bad you're so far away or I'd trade you a titled cab and a box for the runner body from the window pillars back!:D

If you can't tell I'm goin' the other direction. Already got the rear floorpan and seats from a runner, now I just need better weather so I can cut up my cab.

#13 ·
ForestCam said:
Too bad you're so far away or I'd trade you a titled cab and a box for the runner body from the window pillars back!:D

If you can't tell I'm goin' the other direction. Already got the rear floorpan and seats from a runner, now I just need better weather so I can cut up my cab.

I would do it in a second:D ...........to may miles and not enough time:(

#14 ·
I just called the Hwy Patrol bck to see if I can make mine a buggy from the firewall back w/out a windshield and it be street legal still and got the thumbs up. :D Just make sure it has seatbelts, HI/LO beams, signals, etc. If I choose to run glass, I need to keep the wipers. Just an FYI :D Looks like I need a bender!

#16 ·
Bones said:
I just called the Hwy Patrol bck to see if I can make mine a buggy from the firewall back w/out a windshield and it be street legal still and got the thumbs up. :D Just make sure it has seatbelts, HI/LO beams, signals, etc. If I choose to run glass, I need to keep the wipers. Just an FYI :D Looks like I need a bender!

So if you make it a buggy will you need the title:D ..........If not let me know;)

#17 ·
hey I live in las vegas Id trade you my 85 reg cab body for your runner. and if your going tube you can title it in nevada as an Rv have new vin plates just like a trailer. I have freinds at DMV e-mail me and I will see what I can find out for you on lein release info

Freakrocktoy@aol.com

#18 ·
obex26 said:
hey I live in las vegas Id trade you my 85 reg cab body for your runner. and if your going tube you can title it in nevada as an Rv have new vin plates just like a trailer. I have freinds at DMV e-mail me and I will see what I can find out for you on lein release info

Freakrocktoy@aol.com

I e-mailed you.......and thanks for the help:D

#20 ·
if youre gonna end up swapping cabs the extra cab went onto the 4runner frame for me with minimal fuss. the first and second body mounts(from the front) need 2" bodylift pucks. the third needs to be moved as it doesnt line up at all and the fourth(rear) needs no puck, but the "bucket(lip)" that the bodymount sits on needs to be shaved off....i moved the 4runner gas tank to the far rear under the flatbed, i imagine that may have issues with clearance as well...

this was on a 90 cab/ 87 frame...hope it helps:D

#21 ·
Booger Weldz said:
if youre gonna end up swapping cabs the extra cab went onto the 4runner frame for me with minimal fuss. the first and second body mounts(from the front) need 2" bodylift pucks. the third needs to be moved as it doesnt line up at all and the fourth(rear) needs no puck, but the "bucket(lip)" that the bodymount sits on needs to be shaved off....i moved the 4runner gas tank to the far rear under the flatbed, i imagine that may have issues with clearance as well...

this was on a 90 cab/ 87 frame...hope it helps:D

Thanks for the help.........sounds like a PITA to me:D .....I might go the easy route and part this thing out:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.