Pirate 4x4 banner

Huge improvement

966 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  budr 
#1 ·
I know a lot of you don't care how they drive on the highway, but for the few guys out there that still drive their rigs everywhere they go, I may have a bit of advise for you. Anyway did the SAS swap on my 88 4runner used All Pro's kit. Truck never felt right when driving. It had a bad wobble at around 40 mph both accelerating and decelerating. Had it aligned several times from tape measure to 4-wheel laser alignment. When hitting bumps at an angle steering wheel would jerk back and forth. Steering was very heavy and really felt like you were fighting it to turn. Well I bent my first toyota housing ('83) doing some desert running. Decided that I was going to try something different with the next one. Found an '85 housing, cut the short truss off the '83 housing and welding it back on top of the '85 housing (don't worry made very short welds and let it completely cool between each weld). I knew that stock toyota's only have about 1-2 degrees of caster and I was showing about 7 degrees and I felt that it was too much for this axle. I called Roger Brown and ordered a set of 3 degree shims (very nice work and got the parts very quick, Thanks to Roger) I welded the shims onto the new housing and put everything back together. Just did the tape measure alignment for now and am not using a steering stabilizer. Any way it made a huge difference in the driving and it's showing about 4 degrees of caster now. The steering feels very light and natural again. Also no problems with wandering on the highway up to 80 mph. It completely got rid of the wobble. So if anyone else it having trouble with wobbles after SAS maybe check out the caster. See Ya

See less See more
#3 ·
There has been alot of posts about death marching or wobbles. Mine just started doing it really bad here in the last couple months. I think since my allpro springs have finally settled and it has messed up my caster. I have been experimenting with different amounts of caster and I had 7 degrees and it made it do it even more. I am going to try about 4 degrees and see where that takes me.

Congrats on your death marching going away. It is not pretty to watch on the road when it starts.
Rick

#4 · (Edited)
I had the same experience after my SAS with death wobble. 8-9 degrees of caster after SAS. It's now been shimmed to 3-4 degrees, and feels MUCH better on the street.

It's not a cure-all, though. Shims can potentially throw your front driveline angle out of whack (mine vibes over 20MPH now)... and if you run high steer the tie rod will probably hit the spring when the suspension droops. I pulled the bottom leaf out of my AP springs to lower the truck and create the needed clearance.

Death marching? Sounds like something Imperial Stormtroopers would do. :confused:

#5 ·
My D44 with 4 inch yj springs and 7 inch shackles in stock 82 toyota mounts is showing around 10 degrees caster.

Steering is heavy, like you are fighting to turn the wheel, and there is minor wobble. If you are going 10 or more mph in reverse and try to stop, I get incredible death wobble. Like better than any disneyland ride. Truck almost tips over. I will make a drop front mount and run shorter shackles to get the castor back to about 6 degrees. I hope it helps.

#6 ·
I took care of my front pinion angle by using a hi-pinion diff. I would definitely say that 10 degrees is too much. That heavy steering feeling is why I didn't feel like it was set up right among other things. I just got it done and haven't had it out wheeling yet so I don't know if it will hit the springs. I does look like it may stop hitting my oil pan. I will let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.