Pirate 4x4 banner

turbo replacment options

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  e cliff 
#1 ·
well i just sent my CT20 in to get rebuilt... and it's shot...

was quoted 1300 for a T3 with adapters.. there's got to be a cheaper way!

#2 ·
First, if you haven't already, go to Yahoogroups and sign up for the 22RTE list. Someone will have a used CT-20 to replace yours.

Second, I'd look into a CT-26 from a Supra. It will bolt up with a little modification and a new turbo elbow.

#3 ·
DSI T3's came stock on lebaron turbo's and chrysler turbo minivans , the lebaron 2.2 liter would be a good match, and probably spool up a little faster due to the displacement difference. all that and you won't have to worry about cooking your cylinder head with the water out of the turbo water jacket.......

#4 ·
Foxfab said:
First, if you haven't already, go to Yahoogroups and sign up for the 22RTE list. Someone will have a used CT-20 to replace yours.

Second, I'd look into a CT-26 from a Supra. It will bolt up with a little modification and a new turbo elbow.

i've been on that list for almost a year now and every time i ask a question i never get an answer...

#5 ·
Dave, $1300 is a great price. I think that the TEC T3 conversion costs about $3k. Does the price include oil and coolant lines also? These aren't a big deal (Jeff Moskovitz has the info on what you need on his site) but they add a little to the price if you use Earl's fittings. I am into my T3/T4 conversion for about $1000, not including the exhaust and downpipe. Almost all of that cost is the turbo, I bought Jeff's old T3/T4 with a ball bearing center section. Jeff also has the specs for the adapter on his page for a T3. All of the information you need is right there.

I'm now building a stainless exhaust with parts from Road Race Engineering and Burns Stainless and I am into the exhaust for about $400. It is kind of a pain in the ass but once it is together it will be worth it.

#6 ·
Dirty Harry said:
Dave, $1300 is a great price. I think that the TEC T3 conversion costs about $3k. Does the price include oil and coolant lines also? These aren't a big deal (Jeff Moskovitz has the info on what you need on his site) but they add a little to the price if you use Earl's fittings. I am into my T3/T4 conversion for about $1000, not including the exhaust and downpipe. Almost all of that cost is the turbo, I bought Jeff's old T3/T4 with a ball bearing center section. Jeff also has the specs for the adapter on his page for a T3. All of the information you need is right there.

I'm now building a stainless exhaust with parts from Road Race Engineering and Burns Stainless and I am into the exhaust for about $400. It is kind of a pain in the ass but once it is together it will be worth it.

OUCH $$$$$$

it's not street legal i don't need big power :( if i cna't get a good used one soon i guess she's gonna get a regular RE motor in place...

#7 ·
I have a T3 garret laying around thats a reman that im not gonna use- its to small for what i need :D I needa hybrid T3/T4 next or a S60 and going 16v neon head :)

or ya might concider goin with the mitsu turbo off a 88 or newer off of a chrysler - I can get em got like $16 each at the local yard

#8 ·
How can a guy spend so much bling-bling on some things and be such a cheapskate on others? :flipoff2:

Your best bet for cheap is to copy this adapter, pick up a T3 off of a Thunderbird or Lebaron, and make your own downpipe out of alumanized tubing and crush bends. You could do this for around $500.

Don't give up on the turbo motor! If you don't want to mess with the downpipe then just get a rebuilt turbo. JL8Jeff was selling a new turbo and downpipe earlier this month on the list for $550.

#9 ·
Dirty Harry said:
How can a guy spend so much bling-bling on some things and be such a cheapskate on others? :flipoff2:

it's easy... have ya seen the tube buggy i'm building?? and it's on a time schedule!

i don't have enough spare coin to piss on, i set aside 325 bucks to rebuild my current turbo, and that's exactly what i have to spend...

speed freak... tell me more please :D

#10 ·
do you want a t3 with a custom turbor header??? not the log type, if ya have the space then it could be done, you have a certian front end i want.:D :D :D give me a call.(209)609-2937.

Cliff

#11 ·
remember if you get a t3 from a lebaron the header to turbo bolt pattern is not like any other t3, it's oddball

there is an assload of pictures on my pic page under turbo, check for the link in my profile

i'm runnin a t3 from a lebaron, efi head, etc...check out the post 'turbo'd my 4runner'

#12 ·
e cliff said:
do you want a t3 with a custom turbor header??? not the log type, if ya have the space then it could be done, you have a certian front end i want.:D :D :D give me a call.(209)609-2937.

Cliff

sorry dude it's sold and the money's spent... gotta lock up what i am gonna run ;)

#14 ·
dude, where did you send it? The only thing on your turbo that would be shot would be the shaft. You can usually get a remmaned shaft for around $150.

I hope you sent it to performance techniques. If not, you should have them send it there. Ask them if you can get the sogi discount. Rebuild is $400 + shaft(if shaft is bad).

or rebuild it yourself...

http://www.socalsupras.com/tuning/turborebuild.html

#15 ·
the local place said the output housing's cracked and won't do it...

it was only going to be 400 to rebuild it, but tehy say it's cracked and won't help

the turbo functioned perfectly it just had a seal that was leaking into the output housing causing it to smoke @ idle and on deceleration...

#16 ·
i have a used ct20 that need the seal for the compressor housing( it would use a little oil, but not smoke). at work my boss said that it would cost about $$250-300 to rebuild it( new seals/bearings) and i could have it rebiult for you if ya want.

give me a call(209)609-2937

Cliff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.