Pirate 4x4 banner

Need Help

608 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  NIC 
#1 ·
I have a 89' Toyota pickup that had a 22re engine and a 5 speed man. trans. in it. I put a chevy 305 w/turbo 350 trans and a 203 transfer in it. Now at 55mph I am running 3800rpm and with 35" tires. What gears should I put in it to get the desired rpm ofr 2800 at 55 mph? Please Help Guys!!

#4 ·
Well 5.29s will return you back to stock RPMs with the stock setup, however, it may be thrown off by the new motor. I dont deal with chevys, but a good guess would go and search on their bb, and maybe ask around what people are running with 35s and a 305. Good luck.

#8 ·
imrtoy said:
I have a 89' Toyota pickup that had a 22re engine and a 5 speed man. trans. in it. I put a chevy 305 w/turbo 350 trans and a 203 transfer in it. Now at 55mph I am running 3800rpm and with 35" tires. What gears should I put in it to get the desired rpm ofr 2800 at 55 mph? Please Help Guys!!
That doesn't sound right. What gears do you have in it now? Is your speedo right? It would be like 20% off with stock gears. With 5.29's, it would be right on. Is your tach right?, is it V8 tach, and not a 4cyl tach.

I dont see any way that you could be running 3800rpm at 55mph, unless your tranny is stuck in 2nd or something.

Also, you dont want to run it at 2800rpm@55. Its a V8 man you should only need like 2200 at 55mph.

I recomend you run 4.10's or 4.30's with your setup, 4.10's would be easier. But what you need to do is figure out whats wrong with your instrumentation(sp?)

#9 ·
Re: Re: Need Help

jesselt said:

That doesn't sound right. What gears do you have in it now? Is your speedo right? It would be like 20% off with stock gears. With 5.29's, it would be right on. Is your tach right?, is it V8 tach, and not a 4cyl tach.

I dont see any way that you could be running 3800rpm at 55mph, unless your tranny is stuck in 2nd or something.

Also, you dont want to run it at 2800rpm@55. Its a V8 man you should only need like 2200 at 55mph.

I recomend you run 4.10's or 4.30's with your setup, 4.10's would be easier. But what you need to do is figure out whats wrong with your instrumentation(sp?)
i agree we need more info. i think your prob is instrumentation.:flipoff2:

#10 ·
i would say that your tacho is out, if you have hooked it up to the standard one that is.

Think of it in this way, it takes twice the number of sparks to run and 8 compared with a 4.

therefore my thinking is you will need a resistor to recalabirate your tach back to stock, better yet get an auto meter monster with a huge shift light :D

NICK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.