Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 V6 help

1K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  bobbed83toy 
#1 ·
What would make this moter die after it starts???I don't have any history on this thing(88 4runner)........I just picked it up drained the gas(smelled bad).....checked the oil (good)..went to start it up and it fired right up then 5 to 10 seconds it just dies:confused: ......It runs fine for the short time it runs but then dies:( ......I can start it right back up but it does the same thing........going out right now to get a new fuel filter and spark plugs

I did a search and came up with nothing useful.........Is there a sencer or is this a common problem with 3.0 V6........Not sure but I think the computer is shutting the gas or spark off for some reason.........I have NO experence with the toy 3.0 so if you have any help for me you will have to spell it out for me:D .........Thanks in advance for you help

#3 ·
Wilson said:
Maybe the EFI relay is going bad. I've never had that happen to me, but a relay could turn on and off like you're describing.
Thanks for the resonse

What does the efi relay look like ????where would it be located at??? Can you test this thing to see if is going bad or do you just have to replace it

:confused:

#4 ·
It is located in the fuse panel under the hood, just in front of the battery. ON the cover is a skematic showing the location of the fuses and relays and what they do. I don't know how to test it, but imagine it's possible. My manual is at my parent's house, so I can't help you there.

#5 ·
Wilson said:
It is located in the fuse panel under the hood, just in front of the battery. ON the cover is a skematic showing the location of the fuses and relays and what they do. I don't know how to test it, but imagine it's possible. My manual is at my parent's house, so I can't help you there.

Thanks I will check it out:D .............any other suggestions:confused:

#6 ·
wilson

I checked the relay in the fuse box under the hood........Took it out and pulled the cover off the relay.......put the relay back in without the cover on it and started the moter and watched the relay.........The moter died and the relay didn't do anything so I don't think thats it........What does this relay control......spark or fuel???

I also pulled a spark plug wire and stuck a screw driver in it .....started the moter and watched the spark......looked like a good hot spark then when the moter started to die there still was spark..........so I think it's a fuel problem......I'm going out right now to put a new fuel filter in and see if that helps.........is there any other fuel related things(relays...ect) that I can check for:confused: ........It dosen't act like it's starving for fuel it just dies all of a sudden.............Thanks wilson for you expertise:D

#7 ·
That relay would control the heavier drawing components, I'm guessing fuel pump for one thing. I blew the 15a EFI fuse last week on my way home from fordyce. That killed everything, computer included. Turned out to be the 4 wires for the O2 sensor had been melted through by the exhaust. That was continually blowing teh fuses. Your problem does sound fuel related, try the filter and go from there, it doesn't hurt anything to change it N E wayz.

I'm far from an expert on these things..... it'll be a 5.0 before too long

#8 ·
Wilson said:
That relay would control the heavier drawing components, I'm guessing fuel pump for one thing. I blew the 15a EFI fuse last week on my way home from fordyce. That killed everything, computer included. Turned out to be the 4 wires for the O2 sensor had been melted through by the exhaust. That was continually blowing teh fuses. Your problem does sound fuel related, try the filter and go from there, it doesn't hurt anything to change it N E wayz.

I'm far from an expert on these things..... it'll be a 5.0 before too long

I read that in one of the searches I did:D .........Is the fuel pump in the tank??????I think if the fuel filter don't help I'm going to check voltage to the fuel pump and see if I lose voltage before it dies

If you have owned a 3.0 for more than a week I would call you an expert compared to me:D

#9 ·
The pump is in teh tank, it has a small prefilter on it (not a big deal ususally) The main fuel filter is located on the passenger frame rail about half way up teh length of the truck. I've owned mine for about 3 years now and have had very few problems to speak of after the ignitor went out and took the coil with it 3 days after I bought it. Nothing like an intermittent electrical gremlin to piss you off.

#10 ·
It's a great motor, loads of torque and decent power. I got 17mpg last week from Chico to Truckee!!! I just don't want to put all the $$ into a V6 crawler and then have my motor go south. They are too $$ replace. So now I'm thinking 5.0/C6/203/205 get it!!!

#11 ·
I hate to say this, but the first thing I thought was the air flow meter. But if that was it, it shouldn't run for a few seconds first. What happens if you go to wide open throttle before it dies?

BTW, it's usually close to impossible to check a relay for proper operation. I'll check the EWD library on Monday if I have time.

#12 ·
I was just going to ask if there was another fuel filter.......I just got done changing the pulgs and fuel filter on the frame .......now it runs for about 30 seconds then dies.........I think it's staving for fuel........why would it do this ????? Do I need to drop the tank and clean/replace the little filter you are talking about????What else could be causing tis problem?????

#13 · (Edited)
Im4yotas said:
I hate to say this, but the first thing I thought was the air flow meter. But if that was it, it shouldn't run for a few seconds first. What happens if you go to wide open throttle before it dies?

BTW, it's usually close to impossible to check a relay for proper operation. I'll check the EWD library on Monday if I have time.

If I start it and run it about 4500 rpm it just dies sooner.........I haven't tried wide open yet but I will try right now:D

EDIT; same as not wide open just dies eaither way:(

#16 ·
well I pulled the tank.......what a PITA that is..........The filter you guys are talking about is the screen at the pickup of the pump?? If thats the filter your talking about it was clean .......so now I don't know where to go from here:confused:

How does the fuel reach the combustion chamber......Is this a kind of trottle body or is like muti-port injection???? I see like a fuel runner on each side.........It doesn't make sence for all the injectors to be plug but could that be a possibilty:confused: Why does it start easy and run for a bit then run out of fuel and die

#18 ·
Wilson said:
It's not real hard to do, you may want to check your fuel pressure (from memory) it should between 38 and 44psi.

Wheres a good place to check it.......I don't have a fuel guage is there some other guage I can use.......I'm assume if the pressure is low that means that the pump is going out?????

#19 ·
ok, got the manual here is the procedure for checking the main relay:

If it's equipped with a V6, remove the relay from its mount and verify that there is continuity between terminals 1 and 3, that there is no continuity between 2 and 4 and that there is no continuity between 3 and 4 (see illustration). If continuity is not as specified, replace the relay. Then apply battery voltage across terminals 1 and 3 and verify that there is continuity between terminals 2 and 4. If relay operation is not as specified, replace it.

Attachments

#20 ·
TOY 2 said:

Wheres a good place to check it.......I don't have a fuel guage is there some other guage I can use.......I'm assume if the pressure is low that means that the pump is going out?????
Check it right out of the tank, if yous till have it out. Plug the harness back in and rig up a water pressure gauge or something like it. Hose claps and fule line hold that little amount of pressure fine. If it is not within specs, then yes the pump is bad.

#22 ·
Wilson said:
ok, got the manual here is the procedure for checking the main relay:

If it's equipped with a V6, remove the relay from its mount and verify that there is continuity between terminals 1 and 3, that there is no continuity between 2 and 4 and that there is no continuity between 3 and 4 (see illustration). If continuity is not as specified, replace the relay. Then apply battery voltage across terminals 1 and 3 and verify that there is continuity between terminals 2 and 4. If relay operation is not as specified, replace it.

Ok couple of problems:D ......The picture show a round relay and mine is square.....do I have the right relay??If I do how do I tell witch one is 1 and 2 and so on ??

second promlem I can't find the directions for my tester:( ..What is the sign for continuity??? is it the O with 2 feet looking things at the bottom of the O....If not how do you set to read continuity???? Sorry for being so dumb:D

#23 ·
Ok, you're right damn chilton. on the top of my relay is a schematic showing terminals #'d 1,2,3 and get this....5 it shows continuity between 1 and 2 and no continuity betwen 3 and 5. The continuity setting should look kind of like an upside down horseshoe, I think. Never used one.

#25 ·
What's your best guess on how long the fuel had been in there? Check the porcelain on the spark plugs for cracks, this is an indication of hydrolocking as a result of a blown head gasket. the 3.0's leak internally usually when the gasket goes, how's the coolant level?

#26 ·
The thing I don't get is after I changed the plugs and fuel filter it went from running 5 to 10 sec. at most to running 30 sec. or more ?????.that's what makes me think it's a fuel pressure problem........It will have to wait untill tomarrow ......it's already down to 20 degrees up here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.