Pirate 4x4 banner

xj tank

924 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  turbo4runner 
#1 ·
I need to get my tank moved to the rear of the 4runner I cant use a body lift to raise it so I have to move it. The best bet looks like I could use a tank from a XJ and make a good skid plate for it but I dont know it it will work with the stock XJ pump of if I need to find a external pump.
Does anyone know if I will be able to bolt it up or am I going to have lots of problems adapting it and I should look into a fuel cell but I dont want to spend that kind of $$ if I dont have to thanks

#3 ·
I don't know about the XJ tank Mark, but Cabela's has a few marine sized tanks that should work well.

I am in the process of putting a tank from an E-250 into my truck right now. The fuel pressure and ohms for the sending unit are -close- (0-70 instead of 10-60), but this is still a work in progress so I am not sure what bugs I am going to encounter yet. I can tell you more if you are interested, just e-mail me.

Attachments

#4 ·
That looks good. How much fuel does it hold and will the tanker have enough to fill it. hehe
How will you fill that bad boy and would it clear my runner body, about what would a tank like that cost from my not so friendly parts yard. thanks
mark:rolleyes:

#6 ·
I paid $75 for the tank at a local parts yard. Already pulled and included the straps, which my father modified to fit my frame. The tank is out of an 1990 E-250 Ford van, it holds about 20 gallons. It looks big, but it is not very deep (see attached picture before the straps are even tightened and the tank it pulled into place). I had to cut out the crossmember where the spare tire mounted, but since I am running 35s and have a bobbed bed, that was not an issue. We welded in a new crossmember at the very back of the frame to gain back strength. I am in the process of writing a detailed article on this for 4x4Wire, but it will probably be a while before it is up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.