Pirate 4x4 banner

Please help with calculating gears

981 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Raptorman57 
#1 ·
I went to Marlins page and tried to figure it out with no succsess:emb2:. Can someone help me? I ain't to good with number's

I read somewhere that Scott(Rockstomper) was running 44" swampers with a 4.10 ring gear. He does this by running one of his cases in low with a top speed of around 55 or 60 mph. That would be fine for me.

The axles I bought (dana 44,12 bolt) came with lockers and 3.08's. I am gonna run 36" swampers. I'd like to know what it would be like if I ran one of my cases in low with 2.28,4.10 or 4.70 gears. I know it would be best to buy lower ring gears and new lockers,but doing this would get my truck rolling faster. Then when I can afford to buy new gears and lockers I could take advantage of my stacked boxes

Running one case in low would make the 3.08's feel like ?.??
Which would be better 2.28 or 4.10 or 4.70 gears in the case ?

#3 ·
Thanks Larryboy:D That link has alot of good info but I still can't figure out how to do it.:confused: I think what is goofing me up is I'm not sure what gears are doing what.:confused:

Example: The transfer case in 2WD passes straight thru,I think. If it does putting it in low (the addition of the 2.28 low range) what does that make at the ring gear.

Scott said running one case in low made his 4.10 gears with 44" swampers feel like he had 5.29 gears in the axle.

Do I add 2.28 to the ring gear size?:confused:
Do I divide 2.28 in half,then add it to the ring gear size?:confused:

#4 ·
Multiply. 2.28 transfer case gears and 4.10 diff gears are the same as 9.35 gears in the diff. Scott compares this to running 5.29 gears with stock tires (29"). Numerically, it is closer to 6.16 gears with stock tires but then 44's have a huge amount of rolling resistance compared to stock 29's so it probably feels comparable.

#5 ·
With 3.08's, putting the t/c in low would make it like having 7.02 gears in the diff. That would put you at 3600rpm @ 55 in drive, lower if ya got overdrive.

If ya dont really take it on the highway that much, then it wouldn't be that big of a problem, but then you got no trail gears. That would put you at like 25:1 crawl ratio with 36's. That sucks, stock is like 35:1 with 29's.

I would never do it personally, but you can do whatever you want.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks Toy283,thats the info I needed.

jesselt,would that 25.1 crawl ratio be with the second case in low also? I would think that running one case in low would give me7.02 and putting the other case in low would lower it even more. I'm not sure maybe I am thinking in the wrong direction.

#9 ·
At Marlin's page I figured:
2WD-3.08 ring gear,one x-case in low(2.28),36" tires=7.02 ring gear

4WD 7.02 ring gear,one case in low=63.1 crawl ratio.

Stock crawl ratio is 37.1 right???? I know 63.1 is'nt super low but it is better. Could go with 4.71 gears in the second case for 130.1

Then when I can afford to get 5.13 gears I will have low and super low.

#10 ·
raptorman57 said:
At Marlin's page I figured:
2WD-3.08 ring gear,one x-case in low(2.28),36" tires=7.02 ring gear

4WD 7.02 ring gear,one case in low=63.1 crawl ratio.

Stock crawl ratio is 37.1 right???? I know 63.1 is'nt super low but it is better. Could go with 4.71 gears in the second case for 130.1

Then when I can afford to get 5.13 gears I will have low and super low.
That sound ok. I forgot about your dual cases when I was dissing your idea. That would work, but your still wasting your dual cases, when all you'd have to do is get new R&P, and you'd be fine. Though I guess it's not any cheaper to buy new gears then it would be to get 4.7 t/c gears, so I say go for it.

#11 ·
Sounds like it will work but I say dont get the 36"s. They are too small. I wish I had gone 38"s after getting the 36" SXs. Get 38 14.50s since you most likely will when the 36"s wear out anyway. You may even want to go bigger than that. It would suck to design the drivetrain gearing around 36"s and have to do it all over again. Although it would just mean swapping R&Ps. Maybe I dont have a point.

#12 ·
FreakAccident said:
Sounds like it will work but I say dont get the 36"s. They are too small. I wish I had gone 38"s after getting the 36" SXs. Get 38 14.50s since you most likely will when the 36"s wear out anyway. You may even want to go bigger than that. It would suck to design the drivetrain gearing around 36"s and have to do it all over again. Although it would just mean swapping R&Ps. Maybe I dont have a point.
I am thinking the same thing now. I'm debating btween 36" Swampers or 38" Boggers. I ran 33" buckshot's on my Scout for 5 years and had no trouble going where I wanted to go where I usually ride. That's why I started out wanting 36" Swampers. Now,the more I think about it the more I think that 38" Boggers would be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.