Pirate 4x4 banner

Can a dual marlin setup take a TPI 350?

1K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  e cliff 
#1 ·
My friend is looking into getting lower gearing in his lengthened cj5. He really doesn't want to fork over a whole bunch of money to buy an atlas t-case. He has already a tpi 350, connected to sm465, to a np205, to 4.88s in his 1ton axels. I told him that he should consider changing his t-case setup to toy since OTT makes an adapter for the sm465 to the toy t-case and either get a dual t-case adapter, 4.7 crawler gears (since they are on sale now), or both. But he is alittle worried that the t-case will not hold up to a 350 because they were design for 4 bangers? Should he be worried? :confused:

Thanks for any help,
Chris:)

#4 ·
littlejackass said:
what does a stock toy t-case come with? Are there different splines in different cases?
Also besides adavanced adapters who makes a dual t-case adapter?

Chris
Turbo tcases were 23 spline, others are 21.

Lots of folks sell adapters, Marlin, AA and Inchworm are a few makers off the top of my head. Search around this was just covered in the last 12 hours I think :D

#6 ·
I will shortly be running a propane powered 350 to a TH350 to 21 spline dual cases... I guess we will see how it holds up (should - since I just do dirt roads and such, right? ;) )

#7 ·
the 23 spline can handle a S/C 3.4 and i think that is about 260HP. that ought to get it.

#13 ·
sure i broke a 4.7 gear with a 4 cyl . but even the atlas has seen failures. i belive the toy case and marlin s gears and adapters are more than adequate for most 6 and 8 cyl applications. sure a few will fail but what doesn't ?

fyi. airbag broke an input shaft with a 4 cyl at frostoberfest. i have seen enuff toy case failures and what it take to make them fail that i belive they are worthy. you must pull out some wicked voodoo to break one.

#14 ·
i am planning to run a tbi 350 witha 465 and use the marlin adapter, and the 23 splined duel cases i have. i am pretty sure the t-cases are up to the job, exsept the out put shaft maybe:D

Cliff

#15 ·
e cliff said:
i am planning to run a tbi 350 witha 465 and use the marlin adapter, and the 23 splined duel cases i have. i am pretty sure the t-cases are up to the job, exsept the out put shaft maybe:D

Cliff
get a HD out put shaft. every little bit will help

#16 ·
I know of a guy with a fullsize Blazer, 1 ton axles, injected small block, 700-R4, dual toy cases w/ 23 spline and 4.7's in rear case all from Marlin. First time he was out he took it to the hammers and killed the tranny, not the cases. I talked to Marlin myself and he told me it would hold up to my 400+ ft/lb small block in my fullsize. He said worst case scenario I would break the output and he could have it replaced in a day for something like $100. Marlin felt it would hold up in a rig maybe as much as 2,000 lbs. heavier than yours so I don't think you'll have a problem.

#18 ·
Output shaft. I broke 2 with a sickly carb'd four-popper and 2.28 into 4.7. Got the AP shaft, and no more problems yet (well, I don't consider a busted 35 spline Dana 60 to be a transfer case problem) with the transfer stack.

One of those two broke at Indy, on a little rock (well, maybe a couple feet tall) shelf, the other, at UROC Vernal. I'm getting better at in-the-desert transfer rebuilding, hopefully I won't put those skills to use again anytime soon.

#19 ·
I have convinced him to go toy. He thinks the single 4.7 should be more than sufficient, since it will more then double his previous low range. He says if busts the t-case setup he is going to beat the shit out of me though! He isn't the lightest on the pedal. I am crossing my fingers because he is alot bigger then I am!

#22 ·
I don't think the shafts are the problem, you need to worry about gear strength. I heard a report on a guy running dual toy cases (+crawler gears????) with a 350 in a fulsize. He stripped all the gears.

I wouldn't do it, get a klune V

#24 ·
TRD said:
I don't think the shafts are the problem, you need to worry about gear strength. I heard a report on a guy running dual toy cases (+crawler gears????) with a 350 in a fulsize. He stripped all the gears.

I wouldn't do it, get a klune V
there was a guy a land cruiser that had a blown small block chevy that was at danny wardens 4wd in placerville. and he used a th350 and a toy t-case with the old 4.7 gears and 4.10 in the diffs, he broke the t-case gears maybe twice so if you are running high hp and tall gears it will put more stress on the t-case. i would run one be cauase it is cheap, and reliable unlike the atlas which is expensive, and reliable.

if you don't end up running one that means more for us:D

Cliff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.