my 89 toyota SAS - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 175512
Great progress man.. got all the right stuff

Last edited by kaiserdtm; 04-24-2011 at 12:00 AM.
kaiserdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 32061
Send a message via AIM to waskillywabbit Send a message via Yahoo to waskillywabbit
No clue on the Grizzle but did you cross reference part numbers to see if it fits both 4cyl and V6 applications?

You should look into going to ECORS next weekend in Auburn at the GAP. Should be a good show.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 179190
Nice job. good attention to details forsure!
Old 04-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 188121
wow that rear 3rd is fawke, nice detailed build cant wait to see how it turns out
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 141654
aight so i had kind of a constructive weekend... got the whole front end cut out and ready to be put back together... it was kind of an interesting deal hacking up all the brackets and getting it all cleaned up but i got it done. now on to the next step.. putting it back together.

its go time... last time the truck will ever have IFS... time to start hacking

got some stuff cut but just decided unbolting the axle would be easier than just cut out the brackets when i had more room.

here is the brackets that need to be cut off...

this is the point where you think to your self... "oh hell, did i really just do this?" no turning back now.

i got marlins steering box relocation brace to move my steering box. im gonna cut the front part of the bracket and move the steering box as far forward as possible. gonna break this down later as i do it.

another picture of the brace... looks pretty beefy... comes with a top plate on it.

i dont have much time to work on this truck so im working hard to get everything i can done in the time i got. its getting pretty interesting.. bout to order more parts
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 145180
would put the axel and springs before you burn in the steering.

have the trucks weight on it first
timmaytoyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 141654
just wanted to start this post with this picture... for yall reading this thread getting ideas about doin your SAS be VERRY careful when cutting the brackets off... there are fuel and brake lines and your frame is likely oil covered like mine was and is very easy to catch on fire... i caught mine on fire a few times while cutting the brackets... just check out this picture to see how close some fuel lines are.

fuel line running up to the engine right near the passenger side mounts.

just got the front spring hanger sitting in place... looks pretty damn cool.

if i was a rich guy ida did the SAS the same time i did the 3.4 swap... man there is tons of room under here now...
Old 05-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 118119
are you moving the axle forward a bunch? I didn't think you needed to move the steering box normally to do the sas.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks View Post
are you moving the axle forward a bunch? I didn't think you needed to move the steering box normally to do the sas.
Unless you want a monster truck...

I just finished up some finishing touches on a buddys SAS. He had 4" TG springs and steering box in stock location. It cleared with about 3" of up travel before the tie rod crashed into the drag link.

We moved the steering box about 4" forward (all the way through the body mount), and restacked the springs (removed short bottom leaf and replaced the 3rd leaf with one from a rear pack), and redrilled the center pin mounts to move the axle 1.25" forward.

Now he clears 38" TSLs with about 3.5-3" inches of total lift and no trimming.
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 141654
still tryin to get as much done every day as possible. sometimes take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back though. i cant wait to get this thing finished...

FINNALLYYYYYY got the damn holes drilled for the spring shackle hangers. that was a job right there... boxed frame and internal bracing isnt fun at all.

got the springs hanging, just wanted to see what it looked like. gotta build the spring packs...

i think i got the wrong shackles or something. it looks strange.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 85438
your shackles look fine they should move once the trucks on its own weight..............nice build trucks coming along well, keep us posted
Old 05-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 141654
Thanks but I was meaning the width more than anything... The through frame bushings is much wider than the leaf spring... Thats what looks wrong to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 164153
Where's the spacers. On the spring side of the shackles ???....that's what's missing
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 141654
Probably in the pile of parts I ordered... Didn't think bout that... But I figured that would look kinda goofy.. I'll look at it tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Yeah there should be two black spacers that go on each side of the spring.

You can kind of see them in this pic:

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Progress is coming along great. You will be back on your wheels in no time.

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 167024
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post
No clue on the Grizzle but did you cross reference part numbers to see if it fits both 4cyl and V6 applications?

You should look into going to ECORS next weekend in Auburn at the GAP. Should be a good show.

The Yukon Grizzly locker has seperate 4 cyl and V6 models. And it works fawking awesome

92' Mazda b2600i SAS, 4.88s w/v6 grizz rear, 35x14.5 boggers, RUF/63s, stock 4-banger/trany/TC, 8000lb W
Soon to come---> cammed 4.3, SM420, dana300, 38s, exo-cage
26i4x4guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 191365
Great pics on the build.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 141654
well ya know how when your doing fabricating and large projects like this how sometimes you take 3 steps forward and 2 steps backwards? well i been feeling like this lately. between workin a ton of hours and taking thes congo line steps its just tough right now. but it is pretty fun at the same time. i feel like progress will start to pick up pretty soon.

i got some help today to get the front axle under the truck and everything measured up and welded in place. got some pictures of the progress.

building the spring packs.

what the front springs look like currently.

got the front axle under the truck. taking measurements to get it all square under the truck.

and i rolled a tire into the shop to see what it looks like. it is a Q78 superswamper on a 15x7 inch wheel... measured out to be 33 1/2 inches. just tryin to get an idea about what it will look like

after we got it all mocked up and everything measured out we took it all back apart to weld everything up. got the spring packs taken apart to drill holes to add the teflon spring pads on each end to hopefully help the ride and flex. after i get them drilled and painted ill get the front end put back together.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 116634
your shackles are wrong the long part of the boomerang goes up and the short part down other that nice build.
chevyssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 141654
welp had a pretty good weekend of work getting the truck together. i got parts ordered and they are at the parts store to finish the brakes and all that up front. the goal for this weekend was to get the front axle put under the truck, tires slapped on and get it measured for shocks.

my dad took the leafs to his machine shop to get the holes drilled for the friction pads. after that me and tony slapped them together and got the axle slid in place. got it hanging now.

cleaned the spindle off getting ready to put the IFS hubs on it.

got the hub on. bearings seated and ready to bolt on a tire. ill put the locking hub on later when i get the other parts in.

just rolled the truck out of the shop. i was headed back around the shop with the tractor and just had to snap a picture of the truck. cant wait to get the rear lift under it so it sits more level

got the left side flexed up. looks pretty decent

gotta run some bumpstops. i dont want the springs getting this flat... dont wanna bend them.

got some decent droop.

i donno why it looks like the right side didnt flex as high as the left. prolly just holding the camera differently.

im kinda dissapointed in how little the flex was on the front. although i had no idea what to expect. i took a measurement on the right side and fully extended it was 26 inches and fully compressed on that same side it was 17 inches. im gonna do some looking and thinking to see what i gotta do next.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #72 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Looks good. Remember the rear plays an equal part in how much the front flexes. Ideal (my opinion) they should both flex evenly.
Attached Images

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 141654
made a little more progress today on the truck. but first... another picture of the front end.

the front axle has been moved forward a good bit. i like it... has a pretty good approch angle.

i slapped the rear tires on the truck to see how much higher the front sits than the rear. hopefully the 63 inch rear chevys will level the truck out some.

got the rear springs busted out of the truck. gettin ready for the rear lift.

had go snatch the receiver hitch and rear bumper off the truck to get enough room to mount the 63s.

and thats the end of yet another productive weekend. the truck is starting to come together. just got more crap to buy... and more cool stuff to get done... i cant wait to get it on the trail and see what it can do. stay tuned....
Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 141654
ha thanks dave. im pleased with the build so far... im gonna be callin ya sometime this week to figure out about shocks and all that good stuff for this truck. thanks again for being a badass vendor for us off-roaders.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 141654
aight i finally got a good work weekend to get a few things done on the truck. my goal had been to get the body lift and rear suspension under the truck so i could get measurements and order the last big order of parts for my truck. i knew it would take a good weekend to get it done and well with me workin 70 hour weeks its tough to find time... but finally got some...

first thing was to snatch the bed off to get to the rear springs and make it easier to do the body lift.

the frame rails had been broke and poorly patched back together by a previous owner. so i ground them down straitened them out and layed in some angle iron and welded it in for support... sorry dropped the ball on the finished product.

then was time to install Sky Offroads 63 inch chevy kit. their kit is pretty nice.. comes with all the bolts and bushings and everything. check out the welds on the shackle hanger.

guess the method they use to bend the spring hangers causes these small tears. so i made sure to weld them up.

after i got the springs under the truck me my cousin and buddy installed the body lift... was pretty painless, i dont like the looks of a body lift but i guess it will grow on me.

i really goobered the rear shackle angle up so gotta go back and move the shackle forward some to get a better angle.. hopefully it will make the rear sit just a hair lower to give it a good stance. now if i can just get the rest of the parts here ill be able to get out on the trail... i cant wait