1988 toyota fuel pump - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 182839
1988 toyota fuel pump

1988 4runner fuel pump comes on in the on position. I thought it should come on when you go to start position is the correct.
How do i fix it
4runneryota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 13707
I believe there is a solenoid under the glove box. You should hear a click when you turn the key.
You can also take off the fuel line on the cold start injector to verify.
Toyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Send a message via Yahoo to Full Throttle ORC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runneryota View Post
1988 4runner fuel pump comes on in the on position. I thought it should come on when you go to start position is the correct.
How do i fix it
Check under the hood at the diagnostic terminal. Simple solution first. Make sure there isn't a jumper in that plug. It is possible. The PO could have had a problem with the circuit open relay, and jumpered the fuel pump test pins to force it to run. If not found, the fuel pump could be hard wired from the igition to always hot when key is on. That's when you have to check the wiring. Unless it worked fine before. Then, it's a possibility that the relay is stuck in the "on" position.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 147955
ok does the pump run for up to 30 sec or so when you turn your key to the on position? Or does it not turn off ever when key is in the on postition?
Every fuel pump I've ever known operates when your key is turned to the on postition to provide adequate fuel pressure before you turn your key to start.
There's no need to fix anything if it turns off on it's own with the key in "on".

But if it doesn't.....check the plug on the drivers side about midway between headlight and firewall for a wire jumping the plug. Plug is a two-prong female end not attached to anything. It shoud be hanging.

Hope it helps
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 174494
The fuel pump should not be running (even for 30 sec) in the on position unless the engine is running and the switch in the AFM is activated or the fuel pump check connector is jumped. Sounds like the circuit opening relay is stuck on or a jumper was left in the check connector or maybe it was wired together permanently at the connector.
roadwarrior80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
ok does the pump run for up to 30 sec or so when you turn your key to the on position? Or does it not turn off ever when key is in the on postition?
Every fuel pump I've ever known operates when your key is turned to the on postition to provide adequate fuel pressure before you turn your key to start.
There's no need to fix anything if it turns off on it's own with the key in "on".

But if it doesn't.....check the plug on the drivers side about midway between headlight and firewall for a wire jumping the plug. Plug is a two-prong female end not attached to anything. It shoud be hanging.

Hope it helps
Toyota's have an AFM that switches on the fuel pump, when suction is applied. It doesn't work like a Ford. Being an 88, the diagnostic port will be on the passenger side, attached to the main power distribution center, on the back side. It will be a rectangular plug, about 1"x2", says diagnostic on the cap.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 174408
i have a 88 pickup efi pump comes on when its cranking not when you turn the key on
djtoyota88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoyota88 View Post
i have a 88 pickup efi pump comes on when its cranking not when you turn the key on
It's supposed to. "Toyota's have an AFM that switches on the fuel pump, when suction is applied."