Easy disc brake conversion - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #76 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dychen View Post
OOPS: Did you modify a set of Dave'z rear brackets to make that?
Yes.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/
http://www.marlincrawler.com/
http://www.12voltguy.com/
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 167658
The setup I just put together looks very close to OOP'S set up. I used 2000 Isuzu Trooper rear rotors (they had the drum type e-brake.) I mated them with 1995 Montero Sport calipers (no e-brake.) I already had Davez brackets so I modified them to make everything fit.

It was half off day at the pick n pull so the rotors and calipers combined only cost $33 ($45 before core returns.) I'll have to replace the rotors in a bit, but for a test fit and a little use it will be worth it.

I do know that the calipers from the Trooper were almost identical to the Montero Sport, the Montero Sport calipers were a little cleaner and pads were nearly new which is why I took those home instead of the ones from the trooper. Also, the factory 15" Aluminum Toyota rim will not fit over the set up. My 17" steels fit fine. I don't know if 15" or 16" steels wouls work since I don't have any to test.

Last edited by jersummers; 05-28-2012 at 05:07 AM.
jersummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 166218
Made it to the local u-pull it today. Found a 1997 Montero. Got the rotors and calipers (with good pads), along with a toyota v-6 booster and master cylinder, all for $79.00. Need to order some new axle seals from Marlin, a proportioning valve and a line lock, then do the swap. Can't wait.

Last edited by 257speed; 07-28-2012 at 11:45 AM.
257speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 166218
So I finally got to work on mine. Rotors and calipers are off a '97 Montero sport. The brackets are 1/4" plate, doubled on top for the offset. While I had it apart, I threw in a Marlin seal kit.
Jig I made to press the bearings off the axle

Bracket

Rotor mounted

Caliper mounted and centered

And with the wheel mounted

In this picture, you can see the cool little scraper to clear mud from the rotor before the pads catch it.
Just FYI, this is with a 15" steel wheel, not enough clearance for a 15" aluminum wheel

Last edited by 257speed; 08-14-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #80 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257speed View Post
So I finally got to work on mine. Rotors and calipers are off a '97 Montero sport. The brackets are 1/4" plate, doubled on top for the offset. While I had it apart, I threw in a Marlin seal kit.
Jig I made to press the bearings off the axle
[And with the wheel mounted

In this picture, you can see the cool little scraper to clear mud from the rotor before the pads catch it.
Just FYI, this is with a 15" steel wheel, not enough clearance for a 15" aluminum wheel
Did you use the stock axle bearing housing studs?

Could you have used a single 1/4" plate bracket had you not put the stock nuts on first? (I figure the stock nut is thicker than 1/4"?)
TBItoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #81 (permalink)
The Show Pony

Member # 2155
Some of the Old Hats correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember ORC (before PBB) users putting together a homebrew kit from Rodeo rear brake parts. Parking brake and all too. 95?-'99?
2003 Ram 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I see a bunch of vaginalistic pussy assed fawktards............
MT-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 166218
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post

Could you have used a single 1/4" plate bracket had you not put the stock nuts on first? (I figure the stock nut is thicker than 1/4"?)
I used one of the stock studs for the hole where the plate does not attach. The other 3 are 3/8x16 grade 8 bolts. I guess you could, but this way, you have a good tight nut holding on the axle and then another for the bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Toy View Post
Some of the Old Hats correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember ORC (before PBB) users putting together a homebrew kit from Rodeo rear brake parts. Parking brake and all too. 95?-'99?
These are rotors from a '97 montero, which is pretty similar to the rodeo. It did have an internal e-brake. I need to look into it to see how/if it could be used.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #83 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Toy View Post
I remember that write up, I am using calipers off a Honda Passport, same thing as the Rodeo and Montero discs. Did not worry about the parking because I have the A-P t-case brake.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 167658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post

The nut is closer to 1/2" thick. I did mine opposite where the plate is mounted on the rear of the axle housing and the modified offset part (that mounts to the caliper) has to offset away from the caliper for proper fit. I also used 1/4" plate.

Last edited by jersummers; 08-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.
jersummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #85 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg84 View Post
You inspired me to do this conversion on my 98 runner. Because its my daily driver I chose to go with a caliper that had a mechanical e-brake. 98 mustang GT rear caliper. Because I bought everything new it was a little more than $100 but totally worth it.

haven't got the e-brake hooked up yet but it should not be too hard.
Mid-90's Ford Tauruses have similar rear calipers with the built-in parking brake. ~95-earlier were solid rotor, 95-up were vented rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-gt'r View Post
It looks like the ebrake lever gets pulled vertically down to engage? That'll take some MacGuyvering to get working eh?
Ford had a sheathed cable. The end of the sheath stops at that little guide below the parking brake arm. If you use this setup, the easiest way would be to grab the parking brake cables off the donor car and adapt it to the open cable up inside the framerail at the "bell crank" in front of the Toy fuel tank.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 169347
Reviving an old thread...

So, ive fabbed up my modified Davez Bracket and ive run into one issue....

Im using:

1) 2001 Montero Sport Rear Rotors
2) 1994 Nissan Pathfinder Calipers
3) Modified Davez Bracket using 3/8" steel

I cannot get a bolt that will hold the caliper to the bracket, does any1 know the proper bolt to be used on this caliper? Ive tried 3/8 and M8 & M10.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 83820
I just did this swap using a 95 Montero LS. It works great. I went overkill and used 3/8"s for the bracket. I had no offset, and it looked great at first, the stock bearing retainer bolts worked too. After driving it a while, I need to file an 1/8" off the ends of the caliper bolts or add 1/8" of washers to the axle end of the bracket. The bolts are currently dragging on my rotor, barely.

jkief86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #88 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Nice job, the reason they are draging is your caliper is not centered on the rotor.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 83820
It cleared when I fit it all the first time. I'm actually surprised how much a "semi-float" actually floats There was easily 3/16" between the bolts and the rotor when I installed them.
jkief86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 61487
How thick are the Montero Sport Rear Rotors? I kinda want to use them with some 1980 Toyota 4x4 callipers I have sitting around.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #91 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD D View Post
How thick are the Montero Sport Rear Rotors? I kinda want to use them with some 1980 Toyota 4x4 callipers I have sitting around.
You want to use a floating caliper not a solid mounted caliper. I used solid mounted calipers when I first put discs on the back, worked fine on the street but on the trail I had to pump them. The Montero rotors are to thick for the SA calipers anyway.

Last edited by OOP'S; 10-01-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 118757
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP'S View Post
You want to use a floating caliper not a solid mounted caliper. I used solid mounted calipers when I first put discs on the back, worked fine on the street but on the trail I had to pump them. The Montero rotors are to thick for the SA calipers anyway.
I wonder if you ever get sick of saying this I guess if you spread it around enough, maybe then will people get the picture.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #93 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 32726
Just want to bump this to see if anyone else has done this.

Thoughts/input?

I'm going to do like OP did w/ Montero sport rear rotor/caliper combo. How's everyones holding up? Are you needing a residual and or proportioning valve?

I'm going to be using dual wilwood master cylinders and think this would work quite nicely.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MattyB4x4; 01-14-2014 at 07:21 AM.
MattyB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 14462
Send a message via AIM to rockdawg84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB4x4 View Post
Just want to bump this to see if anyone else has done this.

Thoughts/input?

I'm going to do like OP did w/ Montero sport rear rotor/caliper combo. How's everyones holding up? Are you needing a residual and or proportioning valve?

I'm going to be using dual wilwood master cylinders and think this would work quite nicely.
did on my 3rd gen Runner LOVE it
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...on-pt-1-a.html
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #95 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 148659
Have had this in the rear of my 84 for well over a year now. With an fj80 master and taco stuff on the front it stops great. No prop or residual valves either. Thought about it, but glad I didn't. Definitely glad I did this swap.

Bought everything new off Amazon for under $100 too.

Polygoats
Peterbuilt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 33725
Quote:
Originally Posted by isophase View Post
Ok Guys, Not sure if anyone else has covered this in this manor but I want to look at a new option for EASY disc brake conversion. This was on my offroad buggy. (91 Truck)

So. I went to autozone and purchased 2001 montero sport rotors 4wd, REAR. they have 180mm centers and 6 on 5.5 and fit PERFECTLY. You can use the same vehicles calipers from junkyard as well. Or Isuzu trooper or Pathfinder/Montero Sports.

We took 3/8" plate set our pattern for axle tube bolts and made a quick measurement for ride height on caliper retainer, cut the steel, drilled it and shimmed it out for center of rotor using washers. WALA I have $85 and 2 hours in rear disc brakes. BTW.. No brake line adapters needed. These calipers were double flare also like Toyota (I used nissan pathfinders 1994 rear)

Step By Step:
Pull axle from truck
Remove all mechanics from old drum brakes. Pull all 4 axle retaining bolts on each side. Slide individual axles loose and setup to cut with plasma or torch. You will need water or a thermal brake liquid OR you can totally dissasemble the axle to protect bearings/seals. (Or you can take your chances).. Cut backplate tight around axle flange (where 4 bolts are)

Re-install each axle ONLY putting nuts on the bottom 2 bolts. Remove top 2 bolts (using a hammer pound studs out)

Go buy you some 2 1/2" grade 8 3/8" bolts, lock washers, and nuts. Also buy an assortment of flat washers (needed to shim)

Stick a bolt in each of the top 2 holes with the bolts going towards the center of axle. (tack welding the bolts to axle flange is easiest)

Cut a piece of 3/8" Plate to hold caliper retainer over rotor (From memory I believe the top spread for caliper was 5.125", spread on axle flange was 3.5 and they were on an angle seperated by 2.25" center to center. You are going to need to cut an arch in the plate for the axle tube and an arch on top for the caliper to drop basically making a "H" shape.

Installing the plate to the back of axle flange using a small stack of washers for shiims. I beleive it was 3 washers totally 3/16 to 1/4" which centered it perfectly. Then place plate, lock washer and nut.

Install rotor to axle. (2001 Montero Sport 4wd Rear Disc rotor)

Install Retainer using bolts from junkyard donor.

Install caliper and connect brake hoses. (using flexible hose from junkyard donor connect to hard line from drums)

Wala - Bleed and enjoy..

Disc brake conversion done for less that $100 !!!!
What's the mm diameter and width of these? Awesome write up and helpful unlike all the other posts in this thread saying, "Oh I used x and x and it was amazing".

Last edited by millerjouni; 03-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.
millerjouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #97 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerjouni View Post
What's the mm diameter and width of these? Awesome write up and helpful unlike all the other posts in this thread saying, "Oh I used x and x and it was amazing".
You bumped a post 3 years old to ask the poster about dimensions and attempted to insult the people who have posted more recently?

5 minutes in the parts store with a caliper or some Googling and Partsamerica.com would get the answer you seek, or would you prefer it pre-chewed when it's spoonfed to you?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 33725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
You bumped a post 3 years old to ask the poster about dimensions and attempted to insult the people who have posted more recently?

5 minutes in the parts store with a caliper or some Googling and Partsamerica.com would get the answer you seek, or would you prefer it pre-chewed when it's spoonfed to you?
It's a spoon fed thread so yeah looking for spoon fed answers. The title is easy disc brake conversion not go hunting for parts disc brake conversion.

The reason why I asked about measurements was because they might be useful in this thread for people like me looking for other calipers with integrated ebrake to match the same discs.

The point of this forum is to consolidate info and make it relevant and useful. FAQ....spoon feeding. There are no posts saying "I put chevy springs in the rear." Not nearly as helpful as year model eye to eye hanger measurements etc.

And so I contribute to this thread with something useful instead of just spouting off cause I'm butthurt...

2003 4runner rear disc outer diameter 312mm and 18mm thick.

Last edited by millerjouni; 03-12-2014 at 09:45 PM.
millerjouni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 23011
I found a little more info for those interested in this swap using Montero rotors with Ford Mustang GT rear calipers:
From my research it looks like you can use a rear brake hose from a 2011-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to connect from the factory toy brake line fitting to the new Ford caliper...( I haven't verified it yet in person )

Brake line is a little over 13"
10mm or 3/8 in. banjo to Caliper
10mm-1.0 inverted flare, female threads to brake line fitting.

Summit Racing Part # OMX-1673323

$13.97/ea.

Under $12.00/ea. on Rockauto.

Last edited by vikingsven; 08-27-2014 at 08:35 AM.
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #100 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerjouni View Post
If you cannot measure stuff for yourself then you are a lazy ass, take up Chess!!