Rhino Lining my interior truck floor : Questions. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 184707
Rhino Lining my interior truck floor : Questions.

OK I've been considering lining my floor in my 89 toyota standard cab. I've been doing some reading and searching and still have some questions.
First, overkill on prepwork. Got it. No problem.

I'm thinking of using the Herculiner roll on, because of the polyurethane. But I read something about how months later you can still smell the fumes and it might be really smelly if you leave your windows up in the sun. Has anyone had experience with this and do the fumes go away?

The floor boards look really shitty as they are (and as i'm sure you know) with how they're all contoured weird with grooves and such. Will the roll on do a good job of smoothing out the floor a bit? Or I heard something about a kind of foam bed/floor leveler you can apply before the lining. Anyone know anything about this? I want it to look nice.
Also does the lining do a good job deadening sound by its self? someone said it does if you make it thick.

edit: Removing floor plugs and lining around the openings.

I've been reading about heat issues, that it makes it pretty hot in the cab... and I don't have ac...
that and the noise factor are my two biggest concerns.

Those are my questions for now. Thanks guys : )

EDIT:
has anyone used Fatmat Rattle Trap sound deadening stuff? I'm wondering how it would work if i did a really good job of piecing that together to cover my floor and smooth it out then Lining over it. comments?
Also what does anyone think of using bondo to level and shape the floor before lining it?

Last edited by Crimpson; 06-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Crimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41789
I cleaned my floor up really well removed all plugs wires etc put down the herculiner let it dry and put it all back together and everything has been fine. I dont remember any problems with the fumes. My only complaint is the heat since there is no longer any form of insulation on the floor.
alk1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk1174:13016797
I cleaned my floor up really well removed all plugs wires etc put down the herculiner let it dry and put it all back together and everything has been fine. I dont remember any problems with the fumes. My only complaint is the heat since there is no longer any form of insulation on the floor.
this is what we did in my buddies truck, takes a while for the fumes to clear, but no bad after a bit.

pull the plugs so you can remove them later if you want, i dont have the plugs in my truck and havent had any issue without them, but do not seal over them unless you want a pond everytime it rains or you go though water
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
shoes optional

Member # 142117
to me the hour spent applying the herculiner and the $89 for the kit is a waste of time and money, after 3-4 wheeling trips it will all look like shit, covered in mud, dirt, tranny-tcase fluid from rollovers etc...and in my expirience the suff doesnt clean up all that great, but thats just me. if you have a pavement pounder and are worried about it looking nice then go for it, its cheap and easy. just get the floor really clean before applying and it will last a while.
drewp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewp View Post
to me the hour spent applying the herculiner and the $89 for the kit is a waste of time and money, after 3-4 wheeling trips it will all look like shit, covered in mud, dirt, tranny-tcase fluid from rollovers etc...and in my expirience the suff doesnt clean up all that great, but thats just me. if you have a pavement pounder and are worried about it looking nice then go for it, its cheap and easy. just get the floor really clean before applying and it will last a while.
I felt the same way. I ended up just wire wheeling the inside and spraying it with satin black spray paint. Cost me less then $10 and it looks waaaaaaaay better than the old ratty carpet or the bare floor.

save me a spot bro......i'll miss you...
GloNDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 116386
Send a message via MSN to Rusche
I loved how mine looked when I first finished it. After it got dirty a few times, it loses the look. Mud dirt and shit sticks too it all too well. I still use floormats with it. Lost some sound deadening, not enough to bother me.
I also did the herculiner, but instead of roll on, I dabbed with a paint brush. Turned out real nice, good texture, even all over, took a little longer but not bad. No issues with fumes.
I'm about to do it to another cab, I'm considering doing the herculiner again, with a few coats of rubberized undercoating/sound deadening over the top. Would keep it quieter, and sink into the pores where the mud likes to stick.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
PJR

Member # 3811
Send a message via Yahoo to PJR
If your worried about the way it looksafter you spray it out wipe it down with foam tire shine
Old 06-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Show and tell?
Let's see some finished work with this stuff.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
I did mine with Herculiner and would not do it again, it is a bitch to clean and always looks dirty. I would just spray paint it.

When I applyed it I used a cheap 2.5 brush and dabbed it on, let it dry and did it again. Did not smell more then a week.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/
http://www.marlincrawler.com/
http://www.12voltguy.com/
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 158890
I just layed down some bed liner in my cab two weeks ago.
The cab looks way better. Cleaned off and painted up the nasty rusty corner in the driver's side corner.
I haven't had to wash it yet.
Noise increase. It's noisier than with carpet, duh. But not noticably different with the bed liner.
I used dupli-color Bed Armor with Kevlar.

I would only get a quart if you're doing the cab.
Don't waste your money on the big gallon kit. I got the gallon kit and did the cab and bed (entire 6 foot bed and xtra cab floor).
I just degreased the floor with household stuff and sanded the inside down with 80 grit sandpaper. The cab really didn't sand well, I kept the sound deadening panels on the floor.
Rubber floor mats on top.

Last edited by Stuwy123; 06-16-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Stuwy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 184707
@ Stuwy123
you're awesome. It looks like crap. lol i'm just kidding it looks good.
it looks exactly like i thought it would. I'm thinking of applying some sound deadening material, like Dynamat, but that stuffs hella expensive. I'm thinking of finding some cheaper stuff, maybe removing the stock sound deadening panels from the floor and replacing with stuff i can cut and shape and glue to the floor. I wonder how the bed liner stuff would go over it, or maybe i should just recarpet....

I kinda do like how the bed liner stuff looks except i want the floor to look smoother and more clean... what about leveling it out with Bondo first?
I also edited my opening post. would the liner stuff work over something like the Fatmat Rattle Trap sound deadening material.

Last edited by Crimpson; 06-16-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 99302
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewp View Post
x4 or 5. I liked the way it looked until the first time I went wheeling. The dirt never really cleans off of the bedliner material so instead of washing it I just spray a coat of black spray paint. The smell wasn't too bad after a week. I applied it in the summer and pulled my doors for a week, back when my truck was a dd.

85' Toy based 4 Seat Buggy 22re, W-56, dual cases with 4.7's in rear, 5.29's, Detroit/Welded, poofields, marlin hy-steer, hydro assist, linked with 18" Air Shox, RUF, front range x-member, 38" TSL's, and some tube
travisford83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 158890
It'd be interesting to see it leveled with bondo but then again, wouldn't it just chip off if you kicked it?
As for sound deadening material, just leave the old stuff in and lay down some new stuff on top. It'll only block more sound, why take it out?

That's one thing I liked about the Dupli-color stuff. It was water based and washed off my hands and F*** ups really easily. Plus it barely smelled. It wasn't any more powerfull than the new car smell.
Stuwy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 168240
lots info here.

http://www.yotatech.com/f199/lifterc...thread-217733/
Liftercatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Chemical Trickster

Member # 45111
Monstaliner

Hey guys

This is Monstaliner rolled on, no abrasive particles and 100% UV permanent. Will not hold dirt and very easy to clean. We have a vendor thread in the Tools & Supplies section if anyone has any questions.

SEE MONSTALINER™ PROMO DETAILS HERE -- >>> FREE SHIPPING + FREE QUART OF CHASSIS SAVER <<< --
Manufacturers of CHASSIS SAVER™ Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating - Got Rust?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 113892
TIP: If you want to remove the "sound deadener", may I recommend freeze spray or remove it in the middle of winter as I did. It comes off in big chunks, very easy and simple to clean up.

I actually used an air hammer with a wide flat tip. WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Those chunks can hurt!

EDIT: Heres mine:

[U][COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="3"]Toyota E-Locker to Air Locker Conversion Kits.[/U][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

:shocked:[U][B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Upcoming Products:[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="Red"][B]1.45:1/3.06:1 Gear Reduction Drive Shafts![/B][/U][/COLOR] [SIZE="1"]Will be available for all makes & models.[/SIZE]:shocked:[/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="Orange"][SIZE="3"]Water Jetting:[/SIZE][/U] 12x6 table, cuts [U]anything[/U] up to 8" thick. CAD work too, we can cut anything you can draw![/COLOR][/B][/CENTER]

Last edited by red-gt'r; 06-21-2011 at 12:45 AM.
red-gt'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 184707
@magnetman cool stuff! i'll have to look into that.
@red-gt'r That looks pretty good. did you just paint the floor? it doesn't look like liner.

I'm starting to lean more and more towards using the Fatmat sound deadening stuff to quite my cab. a kit of 50sq feet was like $110, which isn't much more than a kit of liner.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 176243
If you are worried about how the floor looks, heat, cleanliness, or sound, I would stay away from Herc. Seriously, IMHO, it is no better than scattering some rubber crumb and laying a coat of cheap paint over it. I have seen it fade, chip, scuff, scratch, and it is rough. It is also so thin that it will provide no insulation of any sort. I put Monstaliner in my last Jeep after MagnetMan became a vendor on Jeep forum and it was so great, I rolled out a second gallon in my Rubi after the first Wrangler was totaled. Here is my overly explicit install thread in a 2003-2006 Wrangler: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mo...ite-up-901675/

That might not be as helpful as this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mo...ml#post8746552

That second link is the same thread, but my full review 2months later. It hits on all of the points mentioned above.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 190871
I can attest to how well the monstaliner holds up. If you have any questions regarding it Ill be glad to answer your questions along with MagnetMan in his thread.
TheDirtyGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 194034
Monstaliner is incredible. It's strong, it's flexible, it's UV permanent, and it's sexy as hell.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Thought I'd bring this older thread back up:

Looks like for about $45 (no idea what shipping would be) I could get a quart can of the Monstaliner shown above, and their roller/sponge deal. I'd like to coat over the floor and insulation pads (tar-like shit) and was wondering if anyone had used it for that, and how it held up.

I'd really like to just chip the insulation pads out and paint the floor, but in my current rig the floor gets pretty warm under my feet. If I could just cover over it with this stuff it would save some hassle and keep my feet cooler. Thoughts?
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote