Mini truck 4 speed swap to 5 speed - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 110135
Mini truck 4 speed swap to 5 speed

I want to swap a Toyota 5 speed into my '81 mini truck, which has a 4 speed. I'm looking for info from anyone that has done this. Any problems encountered, etc. Did 2 searches, found nothing. Maybe I'm using the wrong key words? Thanks for your time.
Power Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39901
Do you know which 5 speed you wish to install?

The most common is a w56 from 1984 to 1995 from efi vehicals. These are stronger than anything from 80-83. But, they are longer and require driveshaft and crossmember modification. There is a few other options as well.

here's a link to pics of different models.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...built-complete

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

There are two keys to life, leverage and lubrication. Sometimes you need both.

Because there is no 2nd chances on Pirate!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 181071
I recently did this swap. If you get a L50 or L52 transmission it will bolt right up. Other toyota trans will be longer and require crossmember and driveline mods.
toyotathomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 110135
Yes, this trans came out of a mid eighties 4 runner. It is approx. 4 inches longer. I don't mind the driveshaft mods because I need to lengthen my front driveshaft anyway to get a better angle. I was told that when I do this swap that I need to upgrade my transfer case input shaft to a 23 spline unit from a 21 spliner.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 39901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Giant View Post
Yes, this trans came out of a mid eighties 4 runner. It is approx. 4 inches longer. I don't mind the driveshaft mods because I need to lengthen my front driveshaft anyway to get a better angle. I was told that when I do this swap that I need to upgrade my transfer case input shaft to a 23 spline unit from a 21 spliner.
If the transmission is a r151 from a turbo setup, then a 23 spline input is needed. All g54/w56's are 21 spline. Also you can turn you stock crossmember around and move it towards the rear one set of holes. A small clearance may be needed where the front drive shaft is once turned around. But lines the things up pretty good.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

There are two keys to life, leverage and lubrication. Sometimes you need both.

Because there is no 2nd chances on Pirate!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 110135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyprojects View Post
If the transmission is a r151 from a turbo setup, then a 23 spline input is needed. All g54/w56's are 21 spline. Also you can turn you stock crossmember around and move it towards the rear one set of holes. A small clearance may be needed where the front drive shaft is once turned around. But lines the things up pretty good.
Thanks for that link- it was very helpful. The five speed is either a W56-A or a W56-B. The first gear ratio appears to be the same as my 4 speed, so no gain there. So, the advantages are an overdrive, and lengthening my front driveshaft. I think its probably worth doing it.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 138552
question

i had an L50 that i dropped off at a local trans shop. he gave me an estimate for a rebuild at 700-800 bucks. i have a 4 speed in my truck now. so im thinking its worth while just to get one from marlin. not too worried about moving the crossmember or the drivelines cause i think im going to do dual t-cases at the same time. its going behind an 87 22r (yes carburated 87)

heres my question. what transmission should i go with? both the L series 5 speeds ar the same gear ratios and all the w series are the same gear ratios.
what are the differences?

and will they all bolt onto my bell housing?
81 toyota 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote