Fordyce / Meadow Lake - Conditions / Snow??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Trail Rides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Fordyce / Meadow Lake - Conditions / Snow???

Thinking of running Fordyace this weekend and looking for some info on trail conditions?

Anybody do Fordyce this past weekend with the water flowing so low? What parts did you do? Anybody been back to Meadow Lake yet? Can you get into / out of Meadow from the north?

Thanks for any info,

98 TJ, 60/44, 37" Iroks, ARB's, 5.13's, blah, blah, blah, etc.
patfo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17625
This past weekend.

From what I've been told there were snow drifts a little hairy though should not be a problem this weekend.
84rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2006, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 63183
Did Fordyce last weekend, can't get to Meadow Lake. The lower trail is open and clear, a little wet in the normal places. The upper (from Fordyce Lake to Meadow Lake) was blocked by a L A R G E 30 to 36" fallen tree across the trail at the 9.5 Mile sign - Forest Service has been notified and I believe forwarded on to the adopting clubs. This tree is not on the ground, but pined between two trees. At this time Meadow Lake road is still closed by the FS - "Snowdrifts; impassable" is what their web site says and I confirmed if before going last weekend.
Sno White is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17625
Going Next Thurs. 6/29

Planning on taking a BIG FAWKING CHAIN SAW, for the clearing of falling trees.
Thanks for the report.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Sno White - How is winch hill one looking this year?

Thanks again for all your info.

Rocktoy - I only got a MEDIUM FAWKING CHAIN SAW. I guess I'll just have to take my chances.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 63183
Patfo sent a private message which by his permission I am reposting here:

I'm not exactly sure where the 9.5 mile mark is, can you give me a little more detail? Also, how high / deep was the water? With a flow of 50 it should be really low unless there is a lot of runoff adding to it. Do you have any pic's?

It sounds like you can get from Indian Springs all the way to the 3rd water crossing which would then enable you to exit out the Committee crossing into Cisco Grove.

Patfo

No Pics, too busy clearing trail, blocking go-arounds and watching the canyon water falls - many falls, I've never seen any before. The 9.5 Mile sign is a half mile further up the trail from the "Committee" crossing. The water was no problem at all to cross, except for the uninitiated. I'm in a spring over Samy with 31" tires and "doors" - no problem, even those in my group didn't wait on the other side to see how my diminutive Samy did.. The flow is well above the stated 50 Cfs at the first crossing do to the added feeder creeks that enter Fordyce Creek downstream from the dam. My estimate is up to 200 Cfs at the first crossing, I base this on past experience where the stated flow was 220 Cfs with no up creek runoff and this past weekend looked about the same as that.

If your going just count on doing the lower half of the trail only. I wouldn't want to be out there this weekend. Last weekend was Fathers Day and I understand the Rubicon was busy and I think those that went there will be looking for something else to do this weekend and that "something else" will be Fordyce and with only half the trail open and people turning around at a very narrow place in the trail at the 9.5 mile point it will be a mess. Of course this assumes they don't get the tree and any other blockages removed between last weekend and this weekend. Also I believe the FS will not yet have Meadow Lake Road open, so those getting as far as they can will be turning around and going back down the trail. We were just beginning to see spots of snow at the 9.5 mile point.

Yes, we went in from the Eagle Lakes end and out the Committee crossing and back to I-80. Lots of snow drifts on Rattlesnake road from the lake to Cisco Grove; I would suspect most of it would be gone by now. An early departure from our group says he had to winch out of some snow on Saturday. The Forest Service says "Sterling lake and Fordyce areas are still inaccessible due to snow at Fordyce Summit".

On the Winch Hill #1 question: I wasn't out to the trail last year and possibally the year before as well. I understand the rocks in the middle of the trail showed up last year. There is a line of rock(boulders) blocking the approach to the hill and several more on up furthur before the old pinch rock area. I didn't take it. When I got to it some other people were winching out at the top. The go-around was bad enough and a friend got stuck on the second half of it and had to winch.

On the tree blockage at 9.5 mile point. A friend I was with is an Arborist and cutting the tree out was not something he would have wanted to do alone; dangerous and lots of cuts. It can be done and I hope will be done - or another go-around is going to be completed there soon! Please don't.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17625
Thanks

for all the info, we have a big group going, will be bringing chain saw's and most have winches.

Fernando
Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
just for clarification and since you have no pics.... is this the area and/or the tree you are talking about?

RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84rocktoy
for all the info, we have a big group going, will be bringing chain saw's and most have winches.

Fernando
How big is the group? When and what part of the trail you guys planning to run?

Old 06-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 63183
Rckratz,

The big downed tree is within 100 yard further up the trail, just 5-10 feet shy of the 9.5 Mile Marker sign. The tree is 12 to 20 feet in the air on the left side of the trail and sits on the ground on the right side of the trail.

Regarding your picture: The tree you are winching into position is still there and is partially under water. The yellow vehicle in the background would be halfway into the water - it is passable, this is where we turned around. There are other trees in the water as well, not as many as there were before we got there. Near the creek to the right of the downed tree there was snow in the shade. Have no idea what lays beyond this area on the trail - didn't walk much past the downed tree. No vehicles had been past the 9.5 mile marker early Sunday afternoon. One may have tried to take the creek to the right of the downed tree. I walked the creek for some distance and did not see any of the previously built blockages breached.

Rckratz, it appears you are part of one of the adopting clubs, should this trail be marked as "Open" as it says on the TNF web site?
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recrea...th/roads.shtml

Mary F. (of TNF) was notifed of these problems and was asked to forward it off to the adopting clubs by her boss. My complete write up should have been forwarded to your club's liasion with TNF and has all my concerns. If you wish I can send you a copy. PatFo already got a hold of me directly by email, so I know there is someway to do it. As you can see from the number of my posts I am new to this board stuff.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 2485
Send a message via Yahoo to RCKRATZ
Already have the e-mail and we are in contact with Mary. Trying to figure out a course of action.

IMO yes the trail should be listed as open. It isnt "closed" there are just some issues that need to be dealt with and if you notice on the site it does have a warning "Beware of down trees and damaged or missing road segments!". I feel that is sufficient for now. Obviously something needs to be done with the fallen trees, etc.

Last edited by RCKRATZ; 06-22-2006 at 02:17 PM.
RCKRATZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17625
patfo- I will be with a group of 8-10 rigs comping at Fordyce, Also I know the Clampers are going to be up thier for the 4th of July weekend.

Last edited by 84rocktoy; 06-22-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Maybe we'll see you out there then. Just 2 rigs, black TJ and a silver toy.We'll be comig in from Eagle Lakes on Friday and out through Cisco on Sunday. I never run the trails during the holiday weekends. Too many people.

Last edited by patfo; 06-22-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 52536
Myself and another buddy of mine rode our bike/quad from Cisco Grove to the Committe crossing to see what was going on up there on the 17th. There were lots of large drifts starting about a 3rd of the way to Fordyce Lake. The deepest drift is probally about 2'-3' deep and some were a good 30-40 yards long. The bigger rigs seemed to do fine on the drifts. Hopefully with the hot weather they will be gone soon. But that means there will be more runoff into the creek.

At the dam there is definetly 50 coming out the bottom, but there is about the same overflowing from the top of the dam. By the time the water gets to the Committe crossing there was close to twice the amount of water than what was at the bottom of the dam. I could only imagine what it looks like further down stream.

I'll be going up with a couple of other guys on the 3rd starting at Indian Springs and coming out at Cisco Grove. Hopefully the runoff won't be to bad.
mc5cent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Flow up to 300????

Looks like there has been a significant change in the flow. With the runoff this could be more like 400 - 500 which is extremely dangerous. Might need fo alter my plans. For those of you still hitting Fordyce this weekend proceed with caution.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13313
Send a message via AIM to THE HANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84rocktoy
patfo- I will be with a group of 8-10 rigs comping at Fordyce, Also I know the Clampers are going to be up thier for the 4th of July weekend.
i will be there to break trail for you broke back fags

if my tow rig makes it
Old 06-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 46708
Dreamflow said that the Creek was flowing at 300 CFM Not sure if this is correct. I took this picture yesterday.
82NOME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 52536
With this weather melting all the drifts and the snow at higher elevations, I'm sure the creek will be flowing pretty good. Maybe they'll be nice to everybody and cut back the flow just a little bit for the holiday weekend.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
WeBilt 4x4

Member # 33065
I went up to Fordyce Lake, crossed the river and went up the trail toward winch hill 3 until we lost a rear dive shaft on one of the rigs. The river crossing was not to bad. I dropped off of the ledge down stream sunk the front of my hood until my back dropped. It sunk my 37's and barley came over the floorboard. Not to much mud on the trail just some on the road to Fordyce Lake.

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 31612
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82NOME
Dreamflow said that the Creek was flowing at 300 CFM Not sure if this is correct. I took this picture yesterday.
Would need to know more about the jeep, ie. lift / tires, but looks about that. Not sure if the guys in that jeep are brave or stupid. Either way, I assume they made it across safely and thats good as thats just a tragic accident waiting to happen.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197
for those that have come out committe to fordyce lake.

not worried about snow but is the road out passable in a 2wd truck with some gettin it drivin'? fordyce lake to cisco grove?

Mike-
LADD Racing #82 NCRR soon to be in U4 in a 4500 car
Mike Ladd and co dawg Perry Hemre
Crew Chief Jim Wright, Assistant Raymond Wright
Club Jackass Wheelers
TTC 1999
BnTMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197
I had heard there are "loose whoops"

Mike-
LADD Racing #82 NCRR soon to be in U4 in a 4500 car
Mike Ladd and co dawg Perry Hemre
Crew Chief Jim Wright, Assistant Raymond Wright
Club Jackass Wheelers
TTC 1999
BnTMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 46708
Quote:
Originally Posted by patfo
Would need to know more about the jeep, ie. lift / tires, but looks about that. Not sure if the guys in that jeep are brave or stupid. Either way, I assume they made it across safely and thats good as thats just a tragic accident waiting to happen.
The guy in the first photo was on 35's and RE 4.5. This guy was on 33's.
I watched about 10 rigs cross only the ones that tried to go straight across and not hug the falls had problems.
82NOME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 4448
Water at the commitee crossing was a LOT deeper than that in the eve yesterday. Two rigs on 40s almost didn't make it.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 52536
That's at the Committee crossing. Further down the creek it WILL be deeper. There was tons of runoff a week ago with cooler weather, I can only imagine what kind of runoff there is now. There is tons of snow melting at the higher elevations and the drifts will pretty much all be gone. Hell, it was 90* in Truckee today. I might end up just going up to the first crossing and then head up Signal Peak to get back to Cisco Grove.

I tried riding up signal peak on my bike last weekend and it was just way too difficult now. All of the early winter rains brought down some good sized rocks and washed out the soil leaving way more rocks than before. It may actually be a decent challenge now. Either way, it beats sitting at home wishing we were all playing in the hills.

BnTMike, I don't see why you couldn't get a 2wd up to the lake from Cisco. The guys at the PG&E cabin said the fishing was pretty good. That is, if the drifts melt down. There is no way a 2wd could get through those drifts. I had a hell of a time on a bike with a trails tire. But being how it's the 4th of Jul. weekend there should be lots of rigs up there more than willing to help a guy out. Just bring a rope and if you do try the drifts watch out for the ones that have the small streams running underneath them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.