Fordyce Trip Report Jul 13-14-15 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Competition and Event Info > Trail Rides
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Fordyce Trip Report Jul 13-14-15

I've been coming to this area for my whole life - Dad has had a cabin @ Kingvale since 1960. I've been down the Fordyce trail on a mountain bike - I don't remember it much as it was excruciatingly painful. That was about 6 years ago. This past week four rigs , two wranglers, a rubicon and an FJ40 made the trip up from Eagle Lakes. Fordyce was running about 300 on Th-Fr and down to 250 on Sat. The first crossing my driver/buddy Greg got his wrangler stalled mid stream as he's only running 33's. The other's run 35's one with a fording kit. This trail is pretty rough - Carnage included:

Wrangler with 33's - Left front shocked blew through top mount, right front torsion bar cleaved 70% through frame weld, right front lower shock mount bent about 20 degree's.

FJ40 got the worst of it. Right front hub cracked resulting in rear wheel drive only AND no left turns. Required alot of towing, winching and 3 point turns to get him out the remaining 2/3rds of the trail. Also blew two right front tires - The last only a few hundred yards from the pull out below Fordyce Dam.

The Rubicon and the Wrangler with the snorkel made it through fine.

Overall, what a blast. We ate fantastically as one of the crew owns four restaurants, drank margarita's profusely and I brought the 110" outdoor movie theatre and we watched Old School and Blazing Saddles. A couple guy's came down to our second camp on Friday PM from Reno - They were Pirate's and they say they were affiliated with this site. Not sure if that's true or not. We let them share the campground as we were pulling out in the AM.

Great trip but go with a min of one more, preferably two more rigs.
Wulfman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26694
Is this you guys at the committee crossing?
Attached Images

CalRocs #515

Last edited by jeeperrick; 07-20-2006 at 07:31 AM.
jeeperrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Yup, That's Our Group

Hey, Nice Pix. Yup, that's us. First pic - That's me on the top of the jeep carrying the outdoor movie theater and electronics package. Had to make sure that came across with dry feet! I'm glad you got a pic of Greg St. Clair coming across in the Blue Wrangler (3rd pic). He hit a rock midstream and the current started to move him sideways - Unfortunately in the excitement I didn't get a chance to video his exciting fording experiment! Does anyone in your group happen to have a vido clip of that one or anymore pix! I'm Burning a DVD for the group with stills and almost an hour of video and that's the one clip I don't have. Which group were you in? Did you come across from the other side before us? Were you in the Pirate's group that camped with us the night before? Seemed like there were about 25 people to watch us attempt the crossing. I think the flow was 250 on Sat, but was up to 300 Th-Fr on the other 3 crossings.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26694
We were the the guys that crossed just before you, I was driving the green jeep. I believe my buddy got the whole thing on video. I will talk with him tonight and get back to ya.
CalRocs #515
Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Buddy's Video?

Hey Jeeperrick, just curious if you were able to get any pix or video's from your buddy that shot us crossing east after you guy's crossed west. Anythin you've got would help round out of trip video - I'm calling it Beauty and Carnage!

Todd Wulfert (Wulfman)
Placerville
530-642-9616
twulfert@gmail.com
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26694
Got the video, my buddy put in on a VHS for me.?? I can either send you a copy on tape or transfer it to a DVD, let me know.
CalRocs #515
Old 07-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Thanks

Yeccchhhh. VHS. Hey, beggers can't be choosers. If it's not trouble, burn in on DVD. If it's eaiser just send me the tape. I'd be glad to pay postage, tape costs what have you. I'll send you my address in a PM. Really appreicate it.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Any Luck on that Video?

Hey Jeeperrick, any luck on that video from your buddy? I'm ready to finalize my trip DVD and I'd like to get whatever footage you have. Let me know. We'll also be up there Sep 16 weekend. Hoping to get a group of guy's to the campground a mile or so below the dam - the one after the split river crossing.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 26694
Todd,
My buddy has deleted it off his camera but Iwill be heading thru placerville tomorrow afternoon and can drop off the tape. I will call you this evening to set something up. I have tried to copy onto a dvd but I'm not able. Sorry
CalRocs #515
Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Jeeperick, Just sent you a PM with my contact #'s. Really appreciate it. Cheers.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 75911
Jeeperick, Just sent you a PM with my contact #'s. Really appreciate it. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.