(Oahu) Kaena Point Military/Hawaii Resident joint clean-up - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Islands and Territories
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 150715
(Oahu) Kaena Point Military/Hawaii Resident joint clean-up

Hello Everyone,

US Army Garrison and Hawaii State Park office announced today a joint initiative to clean up Kaena Point (North shore) by picking up the trash in the off-road area off as well as continue to identify/mark designated drive areas. If you are interested in coming out, I am putting together a Jeep run/convoy to all link up and do a representation in force of the Jeeping community. I have already been in touch with the liaison office and waiting on their reply for the specifics.

The flyer is attached and hope everyone can attend for a little while to help out!

Mahalo!
Tom

Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26795
Send a message via AIM to MendoXJ
Was out there cruising the rental around on sat. Was a bummer to see alot of the trails blocked off but the enviro people doing the work were very nice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Too bad I am in AFG, or I would have been there.

TXRock-I've seen your Jeep around the island
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
guidolyons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 150715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoXJ View Post
Was out there cruising the rental around on sat. Was a bummer to see alot of the trails blocked off but the enviro people doing the work were very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Too bad I am in AFG, or I would have been there.

TXRock-I've seen your Jeep around the island

Hey Guys...sorry I have been on travel for the last half of May and most of June. The DLNR director and others are not the ones trying to shut down K-Point....it's a select view individuals from State Parks which falls under DLNR who are trying to push the DLNR director to shut down the Point not military personnel and off-roaders. The same reasons that were given on why they want off-roaders off the point (supposedly because of the burn pits and driving on the beach causing corrosion) was exactly was fishermen were doing that morning we showed up to clean the area (to include overnight camping with coolers when that isn't allowed on the point). On top of that, the State Parks personnel were putting rocks down as "lanes" directing the driving paths to the beach for local fishermen yet blocking off the DLNR already approved off-road vehicle drive lanes.

It is what it is, but it was a great stance for off-roaders and military personnel in front of DLNR officials and the Military Garrison Commanders to show that we care....there were more of us than state parks personnel!

@ Guido - be sure to flag me down the next time you see me out and about!

Happy 4th Everyone!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 223971
I rode down With my son the other day and it was a nice ride however the signs were a bit confusing we were on a designated trail then the signs stopped and we had to find our way back to the main road. I walked out to the beach and saw fishing line beer bottles etc that we picked up what we could (no bag) I've only been here a week. it's a nice place I hope it doesn't close but it definitely needs to be appreciated and cared for
SCNick is offline   Reply With Quote