Oahu has turned to trash! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Islands and Territories
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Oahu has turned to trash!

Was on Oahu last week visiting my parents again in Mail'e, and of coarse you cant miss the F-ing garbage on Farrington Hwy. What a fricken joke!!!!! I can not believe how shitty that stretch of beach is. Completely disheartening and I am thoroughly surprised the locals let them get away with it. I know its a whole sovereignty land issue with them living on the beach and homeless problem but gawd damn!!!! The beach is completely ruined. I hope the state continues to throw them dirt bags off the beach

I love the islands just as much as you guys there, I lived in Kona and family on Oahu so this is not a tourist rant but I am truly faithful to Hawaii. My heart was broken when I actually paid attention to the beach.

Over here in California as many of you know we are constantly fighting to keep our trails open and educate people on packing out what they packed in and more if they find any. The tree huggers here are our nemesis and were in constant battle to keep our forests open to the public. I do know that damn near every person on the Hawaiian islands is in love with there ocean also and I cant fathom why the homeless garbage is tolerated.

Just so you know if you haven't seen it and I'm not talkin out my ass here are photo's of what I speak of....................

konacaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 121143
you think thats bad, drive out past Makaha.
89lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 137697
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lc View Post
you think thats bad, drive out past Makaha.
x2

So many of the beaches have been just trashed..i remember growing up grandma would tell us to always thank the ocean for letting us enjoy it, and would always make sure we took everything with us. its like the homeless situation is getting worse not better..its sad to see our beautiful home..where we grew up turning into this...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 112382
Wow. They don't show that part on the travel channel! Sorry to see that.
rstrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Just anther thought, think about where there shit'in and piss'in??? Even if they do get booted off the beaches how much of a feces problem will there be afterwards?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36308
You should see the bags of shit we bring out from the Ulua spots. Tarps, bottles, plastic food containers, massive balls of fishing line, etc. If these douche bags love the "aina" so much, then they need to start packing out their fucking trash, rant off.
chromewontgetyouhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 137697
Quote:
Originally Posted by konacaliboy View Post
Just anther thought, think about where there shit'in and piss'in??? Even if they do get booted off the beaches how much of a feces problem will there be afterwards?
I was downtown registering for classes the first week in june..as im walking down fort street mall..i see a bum lady..doing both...in the flowerbed of finance factors!

I have had to pull glass out of my feet more than i can count at the beach..its not like it was when i was little little..its gone down fast..
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 139571
This is seen out on the other islands too. i was a member in a fishing club here on the big island kona side, and we did yearly beach/shoreline clean up from keahole point to mahiula beach. We packed out like 20 plus trucks full of crap everytime. and we did this up until the club disolved some 8 years ago.

We went camping this past weekend near this area, and there was trash alright... fricken' bastards threw um' in the lava cracks. it made me sick to my stomach.....

Mike
Toy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 129613
its actually a little better than it was a couple years ago. the city is actually starting to clear the beaches of trash and homeless people every now and then....but no matter what, some idiot will always dump trash on the beach because they are too damn lazy to drive up the road to the landfill!!
Old 09-29-2009, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 129613
Oh btw, konacaliboy, didnt you have a sas 4runner a while ago??
Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
Oh btw, konacaliboy, didnt you have a sas 4runner a while ago??
Ya, black one
Old 10-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
O-ring Technologist

Member # 62564
This is why i never came back after college. People just don't take care of the aina anymore. People When i was back home this past March, I couldn't believe the ammount of trash to be found at my fishing spots and alongside the roads. No one cares: locals, the squaters, the police, DLNR, elected officals, no one. If people cared, the fines would be higher (here in cali, it's $1000 for littering, and if I remember correctly, hawaii was around $250) and the authority would enforce it. I know not everyone is at fault here but the trash situation is ridiculous. As far as the squatters, evict their asses and tell DLNR and the guys with the white cars with the blue lights to keep the squatters from digging in somewhere else or it will be just like before; kickem out from sandy's and makapu'u, and they'll set up at kanena pt. Hawaii is supposed to be paradise; it's more like paradise lost.
friggnxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 129613
there is actually lots of homeless people from the us mainland. my friends aunty works at IHS in honolulu and she said that 95% of homeless people in rural downtown honolulu are from the US mainland. they should make laws like california and enforce them especially now that Hawaii is in major debt!
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40585
They should hold people responsible
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
O-ring Technologist

Member # 62564
To hold people accountable for their actions and to enforce the squatters, major changes would have to take place at a government level. It's one thing to tell some one to pick up their trash but with out the backing from the police and DLNR, you, as an individual can only do so much.
friggnxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Quote:
Originally Posted by friggnxj View Post
To hold people accountable for their actions and to enforce the squatters, major changes would have to take place at a government level. It's one thing to tell some one to pick up their trash but with out the backing from the police and DLNR, you, as an individual can only do so much.
Really trying not to sound like a asshat here. I do have allot of love for the islands and that is why it really disturbs me to see the rubbish.

I think that one of the big problems is that the law enforcement is in some way, somehow or some way shape or form always in relation with offenders. Either cousins, uncle, auntie or friend of a friend of offender. With fear of pissing off families of "said offender" the LEO's turn a blind eye or slap on the wrist.

My Sister was involved with a drug dealer named Kolo (Both LOOSERS!!!) and he has been caught selling and buying on many occasions. But because his family has clout nothing happens. I know that's kinda off track, but gives an idea of the LEO's there
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 134498
Send a message via Yahoo to kufd
yea that sounds kinda bad for the Oahu guys.............but from what I heard kauai is worst.......so maybe its not a good idea to come there. LOL j/king we met a few other visitors from outer islands and showed them aloha and had a good time.
kufd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Been round awhile

Member # 112145
On the accountability issue:
I had the "opportunity" to sit with a friend in court for an unrelated issue and saw case after case where the indigent were charged, found guilty of litter, trespass, squatting and the like then summarily released on their own recognizance (probation not with standing). Probation + homeless = free shower, delousing, dinner, fresh clothes from the jail and then get'n off scott free. It was sickening. Especially since some of them were likely those with the cars, tents, flat screens, generators and the like on the beach.

Unfortunately, no simple answers. But KUFD is correct: Neva se anything like it on Kauai. In this respect, the Superferry battle might have been worth it. Neva though I'ld say that!
TLCHopII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 144819
The homeless are turning into a pest Infestation and 95 percent are non-native right? Why can't we do what we do with all other non-native species that become a problem and exterminate them? It would be different if they Lived like the old hawaiians did instead of buying modern day products and leaving it all over the land.
Xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 99293
4x4boyz used to go out and clean beaches. we picked so much shit out of kaena, hau bush...

it was all back in less than a month though. its not going to get better until the community as a whole stops trying to blame each other. like friggnxj said its pretty much everyone's fault. you can clean it up every month but it will keep coming back until you punish enough people to get it through their thick skull that dumping is NOT PONO
kpna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 112908
punch da head

Alot of it has to do with the people who are doing drugs and people that don't give a damn about the aina. The state has to get more involved to stop the problem, not only the community.
busmup808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 36308
I called the DLNR when I witnessed people dumping a whole bunch of shit into the water from shore (trash, green waste, buckets, etc). No one awnsered, also called the hotline number, no awnser. I ended up calling the non-emergency police number, they said they would relay the info to DLNR. No one showed and the offenders took off. There was also another incident where we caught people bleaching the reef. DLNR was called but no showed, that one was settled the old fashion way though

It sucks when most of the DLNR man power is stationed at the boat ramps busting people with exp trailer and boat reg. They need to be out at the spots whacking the fuckers who are killing the resources. Props to the officers who do thier jobs though.
chromewontgetyouhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 91009
Tougher laws/higher fines/etc. isn't worth crap. A homeless person could care less if a fine is $10.00 or $1,000.00. Not paying is not paying. Homeless usually don't have much $$ anyways. Take them to jail? That is a step up for them!

Blame the LEOs if you'd like. I can only speak for the LEOs on da NS and Mokes area. They've written "litterally" hundreds of citations to the homless that were in Mokuleia Beach Park. Can't arrest them for just anything. If they do find something to arrest them for, at District Court, IF they are found guilty of trespassing/etc., its always "time served" and back to the beach they go. Its the classic revolving door.
roadwarriorsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 40585
Reading everyone's post's on this topic, I gather that nothing is going to change then. Just going to be the same or worse??? Thats to bad, Hawaii is still beautiful but its beauty is fading away slowly. We have the problems here in California of keeping the Sierra Nevada forest clean and people who use it informed. We hold countless clean up's with alot of club's involvement heavily involved with educating user's of the forest and holding people responsible if they fuck up. It's to bad that YOU LOCALS of the islands cant do the same but point the finger in blame. Its amazing what getting involved and trying to make a difference could do. Holding the offenders accountable and getting the uneducated people involved in awareness and understanding the importance of what it means to keep the beaches clean.

If one group of people could get together, make an effort to educate I would guarantee that you could have ten's if not hundreds of people to volunteer to clean the beaches. Once you get the people involved, the people WILL hold the offenders accountable for there actions!

I bet if the group was to petition businesses for contributions, (hotels, grocery chain's, car dealer's etc...) they would gladly donate to the cause of getting the beaches cleaned up. All it takes is some effort and giving a damn. Positive leadership is key to making it happen. (lame I know but.....If you build it, they will come)

I know I am on my soap box here in California, but I used to live and my parents, sister and nephews still live on the islands and I have much aloha for Hawaii. I hope that things will change for the better

Last edited by konacaliboy; 11-29-2009 at 10:27 AM.