Bad apples or misrepresentation??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Islands and Territories
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113727
Bad apples or misrepresentation???

read this article of KAENA POINT. somebody should contact the author and set the record straight! i would do it, but dunno how to make it professional and all business like!

http://www.hanahou.com/pages/magazin...ticleID=893&Ma...

this word "wreck-reation" really pisses me off!

D riven
O n
D irt
G ravel
E ARTH!
yotd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 121143
The bad part for us is that he brings up a lot of cultural issues that we cannot argue with because people do go out there and tear up the areas that need to be protected. If what he is saying is true about the area, there needs to be more research into the history of Ka'ena Point so that we know if it has more sacred areas that need to be protected.
I don't like being the scape goat just as much as the next person, but its hard not to be when irresponsable wheelers are doing the most damage there and we are trying to represent our community in public. I think that with us voicing our opinions, we can begin to separate the good from the bad. Maybe we can start by asking people to remove their videos from youtube.
89lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 106728
dang it I had a nice long reply for this but my login timed out. I will post on this later tonight.

edit: last night was such a mess I hope to have my response ready today.
Davez Off-Road #1 for all Toyota Needs, even to Hawaiʻi !!!

Last edited by mauidogg; 08-06-2010 at 10:54 AM.
mauidogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 106728
I am gonna keep this short and sweet cus I am over it.

ok this article although it may include Mr. Keale who seems like a really good guy has some issues. Some parts are true as far as people tearing the place up. Ka'ena needs more care, that we already know. The things that pisses me off is people keep saying burials are disturbed. I would be one the first people calling for the place to be shutdown if that were the case. But I don't think it is, because many hawaiians and other activists as well as the burial comission swould go ape shit. The author even says that the culturally sensitve areas have been blocked off for years. Anyway I think the author is taking some liberties in some parts, like when talks about the ohai plant. I have that in my yard, its not uncommon so he is stright up lying saying that it is only found at Ka'ena.

If someone wants me to write a full respose then I can but it will take a while. But I will say this much, I am a Hawaiian Cultural practitioner, Hawaiian Activist first....offroader second. I think that we need the idiots who tear shit up to be taught the right way, tread lightly. I think that Ka'ena needs some self policeing, and much better care for some of the plants and land. It should remain accessible to people for recreational purposes as well.
Davez Off-Road #1 for all Toyota Needs, even to Hawaiʻi !!!
mauidogg is offline   Reply With Quote