gears - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Islands and Territories
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 173036
gears

anyone willing to take a sunday and instruct me how to get gears in a d35? I have 3.07 inside and run 33's, so hoping to get an idea and learn. I've put the whole lift on myself and the sye kit...good home mechanic skills and any help or advice is appreciated...thanks

99tj 4"lift and 33s

aloha

brandon

Last edited by MauiTJ; 03-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
MauiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 106728
being that you seem to be able to do mechanical stuff yourself, read up on gear installs, learn all the terminology...backlash, depth, coast side, etc. the main problem is that your diff isn't a drop out like a toyota one so you have to set it in your axle. the other thing is I hope you have a lot of patience (trail and error), setting gears can take a while done properly.

or as much as it sucks pay someone else to do it. but also consider whether its worth it to run gears just for 33's. if you are gonna up your tires size later on, use a different gear set to match, so you not changing gears again. also keep in mind that you d35 is only gonna handle so much, if you drive like some of us here do then a d35 ain't gonna last long. check out 4x4boyz.com for some of the local non-pirate guys they got some good info and can point you toward some other stuff too.
Davez Off-Road #1 for all Toyota Needs, even to Hawaiʻi !!!
mauidogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 78331
From the sounds of your mechanical knowledge I wouldn't attempt it at all. Some people spend several days trying to set up their first Dana axle. You'll need 2 torque wrenches, dial indicator and a press to remove/install bearings. It would be in your best interest to pay someone to do it. Watch them install them. Dana alxes are not fun to set up. A lil 35 isn't too bad.
dirtchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 50754
I agree with both 'dogg and 'chicken. You may want to evaluate your goals before deciding on either a self or shop install. If you don't have the necessary tools for the job they may not be worth purchasing (and/or making) unless you can foresee doing another install in the future. In that case, it may be more economical to just have a shop do it.

You should also consider vehicle down time if this is your daily driver. I know you asked for someone to set aside a sunday to show you how to do it, and I'm sure there's a ton of people out there more than capable of properly setting it up in one day, but like 'dogg and 'chicken said, it may take longer. I've had to take more than a day setting gears before, but I'm also not an expert and am generally super slow and more anal than most.

Either way, I think you're going in the right direction of researching what you are getting into. I don't agree that you don't have enough mechanical skills to handle it. Just prep as much as possible, work safely, and don't rush it. There's nothing wrong with jumping in and trying to learn something new. Good luck brada!
Unknown808 is offline   Reply With Quote