NV Vehicle Laws - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Nevada
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 67642
NV Vehicle Laws

Hey, I'm looking at taking up a position at Nellis AFB in the Airborne FD, and wanted to know what goes for street legal over in Nevada? Are there bumper height laws, tire clearance laws, can I not have certain colored lights?

Anything that might concern a 1 ton jeep sporting green turn signals, about 8"s higher than stock, rock lights, spooled rear, and very little if any tire coverage?

If I move, it won't be for damn near a year, but never too early to plan, thanks!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23810
Nellis is down south in Vegas, in clark county you'll have to smog it. Its one of two counties in NV that require smog check. They do have some frame hight laws but I dont know anyone thats ever been stopped. In N NV you dont need, windshield, doors, fenders, you can pretty much get away with anything here. Let me know when ya get to NV and I'll put you in touch with some friends down there that love to wheel. RD
Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9188
I've got a jeep in Vegas and the cops are pretty lenient (got pulled over once, but not for my 37's and no tire coverage). There are Superduty's all over the place with 8-10 inch lifts sporting 40's and they don't get hasseled much at all. Sorry, don't have any specifics on the law, just observations.
AK TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 250
Here's a link that may help

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...lift-laws.html

But I've never seen them enforced here (N. Nevada). I had my truggy licensed till recent, and the cops look, but so does everyone else.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 67642
God DAMN! I need to make it out to NV more foten. Dont know if I could deal with all that snow I saw in the snow pics (Texan born, Texan bred) but running around without a windsheild sounds nice!

Cops in TX are strict, but the laws are leinent, in Louisiana (Where I'm at now) noone cares, but the laws are strict. I guess ya'll got the best of both worlds!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 38922
Send a message via Yahoo to Doodoob
Last time I was stationed in Vegas at Nellis I never had an issue nor did any one I know. Now I am currently in Korea with a follow on to Nellis and I was there a month befor going to Korea and no issues at all. Granted mine is only on 35's and my wifes is on 33's. I talked with Mac out in Henderson and he said pretty much the same thing. All you will get is looks. As long as you are not getting stupid they leave you alone. Now just got another 47 weeks to get back there.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1372
Nevada Revised Statute 484 covers all of the traffic laws.

This section covers vehicle height . . .
Quote:
NRS 484.7385 Height of vehicle: Maximum ground clearance; exceptions.

1. A motor vehicle must not be operated on any highway of this State if the lowest portion of its body, as measured from the surface on which the vehicle stands, exceeds, for passenger cars, 24 inches, and for a truck or other motor vehicle having manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating:

(a) Of 4,500 pounds or less, 28 inches.

(b) Of more than 4,500 pounds but less than 7,501 pounds, 30 inches.

(c) Of 7,501 pounds but less than 10,001 pounds, 32 inches.

2. The measurement taken to determine compliance with this section must be taken from level ground to a portion of the body or parts attached to the body which have not been added or altered from the manufacturer’s original body design.

3. This section does not apply to a motor vehicle which:

(a) Was manufactured before 1935; or

(b) Has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.

(Added to NRS by 1987, 1472)
Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2482
Typically the only hassle you will get is from the NHP. They have been ruthless in my county (Douglas, in northern Nevada) I've gotta a ticket, as well as 3 others that I know. It's a "Fix it" or pay it ticket. I threw some 35"s on my truck and had it written off. Then went back to the 40"s. All 3 of my buddies did the same.

Also, same NHP officer, in washoe valley, on our way back from moonrocks.

save me a spot bro......i'll miss you...
GloNDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 78506
smog and red brake lights and you will do fine... couple groups to hang out with www.vv4w.org and www.totalkarnage.net ask for russell tell him james sent ya.
tooheysmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 49754
I would like to know if anyone knows about whether or not the cops here in Reno/Sparks are strict on the fender laws. My YJ is gonna end up pretty wide and I was just wondering if a will be able to drive it from trail to trail...Thanks....
Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 77176
Send a message via Skype™ to sierravalley
pizza jeep drives his mogged tj all over town
sierravalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 45814
i've seen alot of Off road vehicles violate ALOT of the regulations.. but it's hard to tell when a cop will pull you over.. some do it just to do it.. but most of the time they aren't too strict on it.

Last edited by 76PowerWagon; 02-13-2007 at 03:48 PM.
76PowerWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 84916
Location: UNDER THE BIG BLUE SKY AND ON TOP OF THE BROWN DIRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_KTM View Post
I would like to know if anyone knows about whether or not the cops here in Reno/Sparks are strict on the fender laws. My YJ is gonna end up pretty wide and I was just wondering if a will be able to drive it from trail to trail...Thanks....
If ya gotta take it in for an inspection yer FVckked !! I had issues with the head inspector and he complained at my hacked fenders and body on my Blazer... (runnin 44's on 8" lift...) but once I got around that no issues...just lots of looks...(as long as you don't get stupid with it they'll just look and pass..) and if it doesn't look trashed they'll ignore ya....
MightyRAM_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 49754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyRAM_97 View Post
If ya gotta take it in for an inspection yer FVckked !! I had issues with the head inspector and he complained at my hacked fenders and body on my Blazer... (runnin 44's on 8" lift...) but once I got around that no issues...just lots of looks...(as long as you don't get stupid with it they'll just look and pass..) and if it doesn't look trashed they'll ignore ya....
So basically is your rig is worth more than 25 G's they ignore ya???HA...
Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_KTM View Post
So basically is your rig is worth more than 25 G's they ignore ya???HA...
Not that, as much as, not driving like a retard. If you get pulled over for something stupid, I'm sure they will apply the rest of the vehicle requirements as they see fit.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 7759
Usually the cops will ask you about your rig or just turn their heads the other way. Quite a few of us don't have any straight body panels on our rigs and they leave us alone.....knock on wood.
Check us out totalkarnage.net
rautenstrauchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 79690
ok i know this is technicaly thread jackin however it is along the same rout. whats the laws like near carson city? cause thats where my GF lives and im thinkin about registering it in NV instead of california caus ei wana be able to street it so yeah.
SnailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 49754
unless you regester in your g-friends name, I dont believe you can register a vehical in a state you dont live in..
Old 02-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 79690
i do live there. i have a house in california i stay at and her place i use both cause i have a pretty regular load i haul from sacramento too reno so yeah
Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 84136
You can register in Nevada as long you have a P.O. box in the state. You don't need a valid address or really live in the state. Now what will get you is if you keep your CA licence. That is a $632 fine if caught not changing your licence over 60 days from the date on your vehical registration.
nvprospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 79690
it shouldnt matter i have a comertial drivers license and i have to keep it in California cause thats where my home adress is. if i use an out of state address as my home state i have to get my license transfered and heres ALOt of bull in doin that. but i might just leave the jeep registered in CA not sure yet
Old 03-04-2007, 12:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 84916
Location: UNDER THE BIG BLUE SKY AND ON TOP OF THE BROWN DIRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrainR View Post
Not that, as much as, not driving like a retard. If you get pulled over for something stupid, I'm sure they will apply the rest of the vehicle requirements as they see fit.
Couldn't have said it better....
MightyRAM_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 72669
Nevada Revised Statutes.

Here is what i found as far as vehicle modifications go.
Nevada Revised Statutes

1st. lets clear up something with our law enforcement in concerns to vehicles. with the stated NRS laws below attitude is mostly what gets your ass in a sling. so be polite.

NRS 484.253 Obedience to police officer. It is unlawful for any person willfully to fail or refuse to comply with any lawful order or direction of any police officer while he is performing his duties in the enforcement of this chapter.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1482; A 1973, 282)

NRS 484.695 Inspection by peace officer or inspector; citation or notice of violation; centers for inspection; standards for tires and brakes.
1. Peace officers and inspectors of the Department, in pursuance of assigned duty, having reasonable cause to believe that any vehicle or combination of vehicles is not equipped as required by this chapter or is in such unsafe condition as to endanger the driver or other occupant or any person upon a public highway or does not comply with any standards for tires or brakes adopted pursuant to subsection 4, may require the driver thereof to stop and submit the vehicle or combination of vehicles to an inspection of the mechanical condition or equipment thereof and such tests with reference thereto as may be appropriate.

2. If a vehicle or combination of vehicles is found to be in an unsafe mechanical condition or is not equipped as required by this chapter or does not comply with any standards for tires or brakes adopted pursuant to subsection 4, the peace officer or inspector causing the inspection to be made may give the owner of the vehicle a citation or notice of violation and further require the owner of the vehicle to produce in court or the office of the peace officer or inspector satisfactory evidence that the vehicle or its equipment has been made to conform with the requirements of this chapter and regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

3. The Director may establish centers for the inspection of motor vehicles for safety at the branch offices of the Department for the purpose of inspecting vehicles intended to be registered in the State of Nevada. Inspections at these centers are limited to examination of tires and brakes on motor vehicles which have a declared gross weight of less than 10,000 pounds and which were manufactured more than 2 years before the date of inspection.

4. The Director shall adopt regulations prescribing the standards for tires and brakes.

{Part 21 1/2:166:1925; added 1951, 466}—(NRS A 1975, 1068; 1981, 867; 1985, 1839, 1955; 1999, 1146)

Lift.:we do have a lift law but i could not find a max tire height. im going to guess that you need a pretty good size tire to get the axle diff or frame higher then 32 in.

NRS 484.7385
Height of vehicle: Maximum ground clearance; exceptions.
1. A motor vehicle must not be operated on any highway of this State if the lowest portion of its body, as measured from the surface on which the vehicle stands, exceeds, for passenger cars, 24 inches, and for a truck or other motor vehicle having manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating:
(a) Of 4,500 pounds or less, 28 inches.
(b) Of more than 4,500 pounds but less than 7,501 pounds, 30 inches.
(c) Of 7,501 pounds but less than 10,001 pounds, 32 inches.
2. The measurement taken to determine compliance with this section must be taken from level ground to a portion of the body or parts attached to the body which have not been added or altered from the manufacturer’s original body design.

3. This section does not apply to a motor vehicle which:
(a) Was manufactured before 1935; or
(b) Has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.
(Added to NRS by 1987, 1472)

Exhuast and Engine Mods

NRS 484.644
Device for control of pollution: Use required; disconnection or alteration prohibited; exceptions.
1. Except as provided in subsection 2, a person shall not operate or leave standing on any highway any motor vehicle which is required by state or federal law to be equipped with a device for the control of pollution from motor vehicles unless the device is correctly installed and in operating condition. A person shall not disconnect, alter or modify any such required device.
2. The provisions of this section do not apply to:
(a) An alteration or modification found by the State Environmental Commission not to reduce the effectiveness of the required device.
(b) Motor vehicles which have been licensed by the Department as experimental vehicles.
(c) Any vehicle which has been granted a waiver or exemption from the regulations for the control of emissions from motor vehicles.
(Added to NRS by 1971, 1203; A 1973, 5, 1705; 1979, 568, 1034; 1985, 340, 1954)

NRS 484.611 Mufflers: Prevention of emissions.
1. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent emissions greater than those allowed by rules and regulations established by the Department. No person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway
2. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1208; A 1971, 921)

Ok. to explain this. even though some parts of NV are smog exempt we are still required to keep highway use vehicles to the standard of the emmision controls emplaced by the federal govt.

Lights

NRS 484.547 Distance of visibility and mounted height of lamps.
1. Whenever there is a requirement as to distance from which lighted lamps and illuminating devices shall be visible, such requirements shall apply during the times and conditions specified in NRS 484.545 and measured as though the vehicle were unloaded and upon a straight, level, unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions, unless a different time or condition is specified.
2. Whenever there is a requirement as to the mounted height of such lamps or devices, such height shall be measured from the center of the lamp or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when the vehicle is unloaded.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1204)
NRS 484.549 Head lamps on motor vehicles and special mobile equipment.
1. Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, shall be equipped with at least two head lamps with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.
2. Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height, measured from the center of the head lamp, of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured in the manner set forth in NRS 484.547.
3. Snow removal equipment used in clearing snow from highways and other special mobile equipment which by the nature of its design makes it impracticable to comply with the requirements of subsection 2 may have such head lamps located at a height higher than 54 inches.
[Part 6:166:1925; A 1939, 316; 1945, 268; 1955, 40]—(NRS A 1969, 1211; 1971, 1472; 1975, 1077)
NRS 484.577 Spot lamps, auxiliary lamps and lamps for fog.
1. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror or occupant of a vehicle in use.
2. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of NRS 484.587 apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.
3. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The provisions of NRS 484.587 apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamps.
4. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Such lighted fog lamps may be used with lower head lamp beams as provided in NRS 484.587.
[Part 6:166:1925; A 1939, 316; 1945, 268; 1955, 40]—(NRS A 1969, 1215)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.390)
NRS 484.591 Number and intensity of lamps on front of vehicle.
1. At all times specified in NRS 484.545, a lighted head lamp or head lamps meeting the requirements of NRS 484.549 shall be displayed on a motor vehicle except when the vehicle is parked.
2. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps, spot lamp or any other lamp on the front projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candle power, not more than a total of four of any such lamps may be lighted at one time when upon a highway.
(Added to NRS by 1969, 1207; A 1975, 118)

http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/...?topic=61591.0
[/url]
[url=http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/index.php?referrerid=117]Reno4x4[/url]
[url=http://www.therockgods.com/forum//index.php?referrerid=860][COLOR="Red"][b]The Rock Gods[/b][/COLOR][/url]
WillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 104239
I had 35's "NO" fenders, signals, mud flapps, side mirrors, doors and a plexi glass windshield never got pulled over in NV. The Ca side is a little different though Sheriffs are mostly nice Wheelers themselves SLT city the same, CHP like pulling you over for everything.

[url]http://www.rubiconfriends.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.laketahoehilos.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.badrap.org[/url]
Pooze is offline   Reply With Quote