Need opinions on camping at Rye Patch - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Nevada
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 74803
Need opinions on camping at Rye Patch

I was going to take the kids camping over Memorial day weekend out toward the Black Rock but now the wife wants to go and she aint going nowhere that dosent have water.So I was thinking Rye Patch. I've never been there and can't really find any good info about it.Like.......is it packed during Memorial day weekend like everyplace else? Any thing out there thats a must see or do? Can you shoot? Well......will you get in trouble for shooting? Any info or good sites to check out would be helpful.
MY-KEYS-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 250
It will definately be busy on memorial weekend. There's three campgrounds at the south end by the dam. Two above the dam, one below. Two of the campgrounds have showers in the bathrooms, the one at the boat ramp, and the one below the dam. It was a pretty dry winter so the lake will be down a bit, but last year it was just about full pool. It's a very long lake, but narrow. There not a lot to see in the area, but the Star Peak range just to the east of it rises to about 10,000 (from about 4,200).

There's plenty of desert to shoot in, no problem there. There's more trees and shade below the dam, a dump station at the west side of the dam. A gas station just off the freeway (about a mile from the dam). There's another campground at the Humboldt House exit, but no shade at that one, and the boat ramp is shallow on low years.

Here's a link for you
http://parks.nv.gov/rp.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 74803
Yeah, I figured it would be busy. I guess that Lahontan Res. will also be packed. Carson Lake?? The same I bet. I just want to get out of fawlkin' California. Does it get any less populated the further away from the dam you get? I'd just like to find somewhere the kids can swim but not have to camp 10' away from the next person, have a small campfire and let the dogs run around. Isn't there a back road that goes from the 447 side of Pyramid lake over the mountain to Lovelock? I am trying to find a detailed map of that area.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 250
There's a dirt road that goes all the way around the backside of the lake, and there are a quite a few people that dry camp around the lake. Easiest way to get to the backside is to cross the dam. But then you have to go through the entry booth. If you go Imlay, there's a road that crosses the river upstream of the lake and you can get to the back side that way to. But bring your own shade. There's no trees.

Here's a link for you.
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...X=60&Y=702&W=3
Old 05-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12908
we affectionately call that place 'dry patch', haha. We're off to high rock canyon, steven's camp and the homestead in the granite mountains for 5 daze over mem day w/e.

have fun!

mb

Life Member BRC
Cal 4 Wheel.
ECV #3691
www.reno4x4.com
renolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 74803
I've been checking it out on google earth and I think i'll come in through Imlay and go that way. Wish me luck,that's a long pull for my ol' truck. I hit 200000 miles on my way to work today. It's dam near bone stock but my son and I have beat the crap out of it. Hey, is that water swimmable this time of year or will you just freeze you're nutz off? Fire permit? Any thing a big no no?