Hows North Dakota? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - North Central
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 107931
Hows North Dakota?

Thinkin about head for Williston, ND to try and start a new life, maybe even one with a JOB!! I here the big oil boom is really creating a shit ton of jobs and pay to match. So now Im trying to figure out all the pros and cons of ND, Lift laws, guns laws,registration,insurance,wheelin......ect ect. Planning on taking my wheelin rig and whatever else I cant fit on my flatbed trailer and in the bed of the tow rig.
DD/Tow rig, 89 dodge cummins

Wheelin rig, 96 dodge ram.

Last edited by superswamper_800; 10-18-2011 at 10:33 PM.
superswamper_800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 134841
make sure you have housing lined up frist. Guys are paying big money to just park in the farmers field.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunnr View Post
make sure you have housing lined up frist. Guys are paying big money to just park in the farmers field.
This will be your biggest expense/problem. If you are planning to stay there during the winter...have fun. For wheeling, the black hills is your best bet. Some of the best wheeling in the country.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 126578
And make sure you have a job lined up first. They are not taking people off the street anymore. Plan on taking awhile just to get employed. I have friends over there and it took them months of traveling back and forth interviewing with several outfits before they got hired. There is not much for wheeling there. Black Hills is by far the best, but several hours away. There is hardly no housing of any kind left over there. If you do get a job you are set though. I heard through the rumor mill that they have contracts in pace for well over ten years?? Good luck.

2004 chevrolet 2500HD, 6.0, tow pig!
MTMudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 107931
Ya thats what I hear the place is growing faster then they can build housing, deffinently gonna start calling realtors and try to set something up first. If not Ill head up there when the weather turns good again and just live outta my truck for awhile, not to concerned about that. How about truck laws? was told either north or south dakota is extremely stricked about trucks and toys ingeneral? Not that thats the most important thing but Id hate to drag my wheelin rig and toys all the way up there(2000+ miles) and find out I cant even use them ya know. Guns too, got LOTS of guns.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I have never heard of people having much trouble in SD. If you have lights, turn signals, registration and insurance you are probably ok. Guns? What about guns? Everyone has them. You just need a concealed weapons permit if you want to carry.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 107931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMudpuppy View Post
And make sure you have a job lined up first. They are not taking people off the street anymore. Plan on taking awhile just to get employed. I have friends over there and it took them months of traveling back and forth interviewing with several outfits before they got hired. There is not much for wheeling there. Black Hills is by far the best, but several hours away. There is hardly no housing of any kind left over there. If you do get a job you are set though. I heard through the rumor mill that they have contracts in pace for well over ten years?? Good luck.
Really? All Ive heard besides how hard housing is, is how easy it is to find work. Ill deffinently look into that first thanks, dont have the money to be driving back and forth thats forsure. Construction should be pretty good though right? seeings how there no housing. Ive been in the construction trade my whole life building million dollar homes and remodels up in the high seirra mountains of CA, also roofing,electrical,plumbing,concrete........ect. Guess Ill start making some calls tomorrow, get this ball rollin.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 107931
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I have never heard of people having much trouble in SD. If you have lights, turn signals, registration and insurance you are probably ok. Guns? What about guns? Everyone has them. You just need a concealed weapons permit if you want to carry.
Thats what I wanna hear same goes for ND i take it? Lookin at your sig, youve got a shit ton of badass rigs too registration and insurance must be resonable?

Last edited by superswamper_800; 10-19-2011 at 10:32 PM.
superswamper_800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 46318
I'm not sure on the ND laws, those boys are kind of weird though.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 36716
$2000 a month to live in a shipping container!!!
and it is beyond colder than hell in the winter
gotrocscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 42443
On the rigs they do have a bumper height and tires law. There is some offroad stuff up there but not much. Here is the Club http://www.freewebs.com/ndcliffhange...yoftheclub.htm

Also If you can get a job most of the Company's are putting up housing for you
jeepcj776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 69443
It is cheaper to buy housing then rent. I just moved to Dickinson from Mississippi and bought a house. There are some guys paying $800 a month just for a bed space in a man camp. $2000 a month in Williston or Watford City is cheap and once winter hits if you have a trailer you have to worry about paying to stay warm.
scooter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 77604
I'm also looking at heading up that way come Jan to early spring.

Get a RV take the Jeep and go.

Wife and kids will stay in Michigan till I get a place for them. Or just bank and move on for a better place with them.. After 4 1/2 years of no work here in Michigan time to move on..
Old 11-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 138287
Fu^$ Moving here. Just come here to scoop up some of the money that the fat cats are spilling about. This place is a shit hole so to speak but I come from the west coast with mountains and trees both of wich are far and few between. I too have been in construction all my life and am quite tired of it but here I am partenerd up with my brother and son and will be spending the winter in greener places due having a very sucessful 7 months and it gets to Fn cold to work in. We will be having a small metal building crew working all year, have started a painting bussiness, And also have a trucking Bussiness getting started. I belive this is going to go on for some time (10-20yrs) I live 5 hours away and can go home anytime if needed and that is close enough for me. This also alows me live somewhere more acceptable. My advice to all is that why stay and starve,lose your house,etc looking for a job that isnt there. when you could go to where the work is.

p.s. walmart is starting at $18.00 MacDs $16.00 and housing sucks
Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinta View Post
Fu^$ Moving here. Just come here to scoop up some of the money that the fat cats are spilling about. This place is a shit hole so to speak but I come from the west coast with mountains and trees both of wich are far and few between. I too have been in construction all my life and am quite tired of it but here I am partenerd up with my brother and son and will be spending the winter in greener places due having a very sucessful 7 months and it gets to Fn cold to work in. We will be having a small metal building crew working all year, have started a painting bussiness, And also have a trucking Bussiness getting started. I belive this is going to go on for some time (10-20yrs) I live 5 hours away and can go home anytime if needed and that is close enough for me. This also alows me live somewhere more acceptable. My advice to all is that why stay and starve,lose your house,etc looking for a job that isnt there. when you could go to where the work is.

p.s. walmart is starting at $18.00 MacDs $16.00 and housing sucks
If you live 5 hours away, where do you stay when you are working? I have been considering doing some work up there, but the money would have to be huge.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 138287
I live in my camper as do a large number of workers. We will own housing for our crews next year and not campers!! There can be lots of money made if you are in the right market
Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 46318
Where do you park your camper is my next question. How much for a spot?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 138287
We park ours on the job site. but I hear they get up to and beyond $1000 per month
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 51899
So, I'm fittin' to head out as well - I've got a small travel trailer I'll tow behind my TJ. Got nothing going on out here & only enough gas money for a one way trip, so I'm going all in.
My buds 19 yo cousin lined up a gig ($22 an hour to blow insulation) & housing (crashing with the friend who got him the gig) before ever going out there. If he can do it . . .
Old 12-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 206342
I had the misfortune of being stationed there while I was in the military, in my opinion ND is by far the worst state in the entire Union and I have been to most. The people are rude as hell, the land is flat and ugly and cold as a whitches tit in the winter. If you are going short term for the work and take the money while you can its one thing, but I would look EVERYWHERE else before I went there. Just my 2 cents
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 126606
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
I had the misfortune of being stationed there while I was in the military, in my opinion ND is by far the worst state in the entire Union and I have been to most. The people are rude as hell, the land is flat and ugly and cold as a whitches tit in the winter. If you are going short term for the work and take the money while you can its one thing, but I would look EVERYWHERE else before I went there. Just my 2 cents
i would say that from the sounds of things you were either in minot or grand forks and the fact that you said no trees puts more likely minot. yeah it gets a BIT cold there. that is the best part of the state is the cold which helps keep the trash out but usually finds its way back when it warms up. not sure why you think the people are rude but hey there could be all kinds of stories for that. most of the people that i know or have met are usually very polite and friendly. but like i said there are always two sides to the people from every state.

now as for wheeling, well if you are going there you should get hooked up with the cliffhangers. there are some pretty good places to go wheel around watford city but most of it is accessible with the club because it is on a private ranch and some forest service. the cliffhangers have a facebook page also if the previous webpage doesn't work. in july, they should be having a 3 day event which is pretty good.

jobs should still be fairly easy to come by from what i have heard. the big thing is housing like everyone else has said. getting a hotel at anytime from dickenson to williston is impossible. i was up there working a few months ago and tried and no luck.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 191149
I live in S.D and am currently hauling supplies to N.D to build a few pole barns, and my brother lives and works in williston...Every place you walk into has a help wanted sign...N.D has the lowest unemployment in the country and have around 200 rigs...but like stated above, the only bitch is finding a place to live...My brother's company rents him an apartment at $1000 a month plus utilities...I must say though north dakota is a shitty place...No scenery, trees, or girls, cold and windy...and busy as fuck...Great place to go if your looking to just make good money and dont care about your surrounding...And as far as your rigs go, idk if N.D is the same as S.D...but here in S.D they are real lenient on about anything...No lift or bumper laws, no inspection or emissions...just working lights, licence and insurance and your good to go.

Last edited by 75 HighBoy; 12-17-2011 at 10:53 PM.
75 HighBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 137297
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
That would make you an expert on it since you were stationed there I suppose!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 167347
i grew up in williston and still live here working in the boomtown, housing is the big issue like everyone has said but camper is your best bet, if you skirt them proberly they are fine in the winter so ive been told, as far as wheelin goes its all about who you know, the cliffhangers have a place only ten minutes outside of town that is great wheelin but the more extreme stuff for nd is over by watford but like was said before it is all private land there are no public trails, so if you can handle the cold and find a place to live come on up if you havnt already, i see you said you have concrete experience, do you by chance know how to drive a ready mix truck cause where i work we are always looking for drivers starting at around 21 an hour and we have a trailer park to park your camper or living quarters for you to stay at for a very reasonable price, and as for guns, in nd we love our guns, anything goes, full auto, sbr's, silencers, its all legit here, they will have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead fingers brother
Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
RokRash

Member # 105287
It's a good place to make some money. Not a lot to do. We work 7-12's, 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. So not much time to get bored. Been trying to talk the wife into going over. Dancing girls are making 2k a night!!! She doesn't seem interested...