local hero of the day... arrested - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northeast
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
ZUK Herder

Member # 28426
local hero of the day... arrested

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21...-near-burglar/
Posted Image
Foster's Daily Democrat
"I didn't think I could handle this guy physically, so I fired into the ground," Fleming told FoxNews.com.

A New Hampshire man who fired his handgun into the ground to scare an alleged burglar he caught crawling out of a neighbor's window is now facing a felony charge -- and the same potential prison sentence as the man he stopped.
Dennis Fleming, 61, of Farmington, was arrested for reckless conduct after the Saturday incident at his 19th century farmhouse. The single grandfather had returned home to find that his home had been burglarized and spotted Joseph Hebert, 27, climbing out of a window at a neighbor's home. Fleming said he yelled "Freeze!" before firing his gun into the ground, then held Hebert at gunpoint until police arrived.

"I didn't think I could handle this guy physically, so I fired into the ground," Fleming told FoxNews.com. "He stopped. He knew I was serious. I was angry … and I was worried that this guy was going to come after me."
No one was injured in the incident, but when the police arrived, they made two arrests. Hebert was charged with two counts of burglary and drug possession. He faces up to seven years in prison if convicted. Fleming, meanwhile, is scheduled to be arraigned March 20 on a charge of reckless conduct, which could potentially land him a sentence similar to the one Hebert faces.
"I didn't know it was illegal [to fire into the ground], but I had to make that guy realize I was serious," Fleming said. "I've got a clean record. I really don't want to be convicted."
County Attorney Tom Velardi told Foster's Daily Democrat he will review the case and determine if the charge against Fleming is appropriate under the state statutes regarding self-defense and defense of property.
Fleming, meanwhile, is hoping to catch a break.
"I have 14 grandchildren, I don't want to be a felon and go to jail," he said. "I'm kind of wound up about it."
Fleming's collection of seven rifles and a .38-caliber handgun were seized by police. But Fleming said he's not entirely defenseless: "I've got a Louisville Slugger here, but I would call the police," he said.
Calls seeking comment from Farmington Police Department Chief Scott Roberge were not immediately returned.
Penny Dean, a spokeswoman for the Gun Owners of New Hampshire, said her organization is "absolutely outraged" by Fleming's arrest.
"This homeowner fired at the ground, from all accounts, in a safe direction and held a burglar for police and did things correctly," Dean told FoxNews.com. "The fact that this man would be charged is an outrage. Burglars in New Hampshire must know it's open season, since homeowners cannot defend themselves, as evidenced by this case. This is charging the victim."
Rick Pelkey, Fleming's longtime neighbor, said he's now worried how the "straight-forward, working-class guy" will pay legal fees associated with the arrest.
"I think it's outrageous," Pelkey told FoxNews.com. "He did the community a service here. We ought to thank him for it."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21...#ixzz1n4U0R31q

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...ected_burglar/

FARMINGTON, N.H.—A New Hampshire man who faces a criminal charge for helping to catch a suspected burglar in his home says he doesn't regret firing his gun, but he might do things differently in the future.

Foster's Daily Democrat reports (http://bit.ly/wnuiJF) 61-year-old Dennis Fleming of Farmington was arrested late Saturday on a reckless conduct charge. He arrived home to find his house had been burglarized.

Police said he spotted 27-year-old Joseph Hebert climbing out the window of a neighbor's home. Fleming yelled "Freeze!" and discharged his firearm into the ground near Hebert. He held him at gunpoint until police arrived. No one was hurt. Hebert was being arraigned Tuesday.

Fleming says he knows he broke the law, and might handle things differently next time. He says he should have called police.

"It's my belief that someone with a Samurai ran over a Gypsy's dog or something years ago, and he laid a curse on the whole lot."
-UZI 9mm
thanks to:
www.longfieldsuperaxles.com
www.kore4x4customs.com
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
www.zukeviltwin.com
www.polyperformance.com
www.DEEPWOODSEXTREME.com
www.trailtough.com
www.lowrangeoffroad.com

Last edited by supazuk94; 02-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.
supazuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
links don't work and it's a R
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
ZUK Herder

Member # 28426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep937 View Post
links don't work and it's a R
maybe in chit chat .... links work

"It's my belief that someone with a Samurai ran over a Gypsy's dog or something years ago, and he laid a curse on the whole lot."
-UZI 9mm
thanks to:
www.kore4x4customs.com
www.zukeviltwin.com
www.polyperformance.com
www.DEEPWOODSEXTREME.com
www.trailtough.com
www.lowrangeoffroad.com
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old School

Member # 130090
The old guy should be handed a medal. At the very least, the cops should have held the burgler down and given the old guy a chance to pistol whip him.

When the State whose motto is "Live Free of Die" starts pulling this crap then all hope is lost for freedom in America.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
ZUK Herder

Member # 28426
all charges have been dropped on him!!!

-UZI 9mm
thanks to:
www.kore4x4customs.com
www.zukeviltwin.com
www.polyperformance.com
www.DEEPWOODSEXTREME.com
www.trailtough.com
www.lowrangeoffroad.com