old florida road,ma-belle,gutter,crazy eights? western MA wheelin - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northeast
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 108253
old florida road,ma-belle,gutter,crazy eights? western MA wheelin

just wondering if any one can give me some insight on these trails, i live in southern ma and im taking a trip next week to western MA i keep finding links to trail rides out that way but no adress or town were the trails are or directions to get there

any help would be great
evand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
O C

Member # 121409
Quote:
Originally Posted by evand View Post
just wondering if any one can give me some insight on these trails, i live in southern ma and im taking a trip next week to western MA i keep finding links to trail rides out that way but no adress or town were the trails are or directions to get there

any help would be great
You need permission from the land owner to run the gutter, ofr is an unmaintained road near adams, i think crazy eights is private land and i'm not telling you where mabell is cause its in my backyard and it has been abused too many times by outsiders.

you should join a club.

registered clubs run these trails all the time.
O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 51881
nobody should tell you where these places are. join a club and get access to many legal places in the northeast.

but for the reocrd what was posted earlier is accurate.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20053
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C View Post
You need permission from the land owner to run the gutter, ofr is an unmaintained road near adams, i think crazy eights is private land and i'm not telling you where mabell is cause its in my backyard and it has been abused too many times by outsiders.

you should join a club.

registered clubs run these trails all the time.
These trails are also abused by so called clubs as well. The key is find a good club to join or just start your own and do some investigating.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 108483
You can find a list of good clubs here http://www.nea4wd.org/ along with other info.
junk crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 108253
iv bean looking into clubs around my area and alot of them are jeep only and have lift/tire size rules,

and just a general ? to every one, now im not trying to be a asshole, but why does everyone i ask tell me that i have to join a club because people destroy the trails, just because i dont belong to a club dosnt mean i ruin trails, i spend alot of time every spring with my wheeling budies picking up trails cleanin camp spots at our local wheeling areas but everytime i talk to someone in a club and try to point that out, im still a bad guy for not joining there club... and outsiders ruin trails and if word of these western MA trails gets out people with stock trucks will flock there and ruin it 4 everyone, and again im not trying to be a ass and i have nothing against clubs and im going to join one when i find one where it seams like me/my trucks will fit in....

thanks
Evan
Old 07-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 51881
first off i can think of atleast 10 clubs that will let you wheel any type of vehicle no matter what tire size you run or if you run a jeep or not.

and as to people saying join a club. maybe you aren't the problem guy on the trails but far to many of us have been bruned or had local public trails closed due to people who just run the piss out of trails and act like fools when they find a trail. when you are part of a club you will better understand the issues that are facing the local trails (esp if you join a club that is involved with the NEA4WD) just an fyi, most good land out there is private, so you won't be able to run it anyway unless you join a club! most clubs (good clubs) have access to private land that offers great opprotunity for you to get out in the woods with responsible minded people. this is the reasoning behind everyone saying "join a club" we are all sick of asshats ruining good trails (whether it is you or not i have no idea but i for one am not going to be the guy who tells some random dude on a website whee the trails are)

hope you understand better now?

if you want a list of good clubs check out the nea website posted by junk cruiser
Old 07-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 154717
Send a message via AIM to baderic03
masskrawlers.com ne4wd.org there are two that arent jeep only
Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 162982
im just sooooooooo sorry that i dont have an extra 50-100$ lying around to join a club. the 20 or 30$ everytime the club want to go for a run. having the dates and times picked out for me when i can go wheeling. i dont like clubs. there slow and incredibly boring. ive been on trail runs down ofr just me and a few friends and had to wait houuurrrsss because of a 20 truck run. i like wheeling with a small group of [U]responsible[U] freinds that all know how to take care of the trail without charging eachother money
96grandbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12495
sounds like you already have the makings of a club. check out what NEA has to offer you guys as a group.

...and if you ever get out towards NY, check out the link at the bottom of my sig to see a group that refuses to be labeled as a "typical club".
Old 07-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 57739
maybe i should join a club

Last edited by supazuk94; 02-22-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: maybe you shouldn't post trails that could help greenies close them!
-Sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 121467
Clubs are social as well as like minded people who off road. The money we (New england Jeepz) charge goes toward an annual BBQ and to help maintain public and private trails. With public trails being limited, private access is where the good wheeling is at. Good luck!
Bob
AxleinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 157845
Quote:
Originally Posted by junk crusier View Post
You can find a list of good clubs here http://www.nea4wd.org/ along with other info.
x2... I have run all of them but always with a club. It is worth whatever the cost is to run on sanctioned land. I run Old Florida every year on Columbus Day weekend and have always had a blast for the last 12yrs. Its not that technical but if you're creative its worth it. nea4wd has great runs!

by the way you can always Youtube trails to get an idea.

Last edited by MASS CRAWLER; 07-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.
MASS CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 162982
thanks for the more polite answers haha listen i know exactly what all you club guys are trying to say. evand and i have our own local small wheeling holes that we dont like seeing abused or used as a dumpster either, we clean and maintain our local trails im sure the same way you do. and your absolutely right private land is private land i certainly wouldnt want to ruin a good place for someone else by trespassing. we were just looking for some info and ideas of where we can legaly go on public land like ofr. ive been out as a guest with a few clubs and i just dont think its for me thats all im tyrin to say.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 108483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96grandbeater View Post
im just sooooooooo sorry that i dont have an extra 50-100$ lying around to join a club. the 20 or 30$ everytime the club want to go for a run. having the dates and times picked out for me when i can go wheeling. i dont like clubs. there slow and incredibly boring. ive been on trail runs down ofr just me and a few friends and had to wait houuurrrsss because of a 20 truck run. i like wheeling with a small group of [U]responsible[U] freinds that all know how to take care of the trail without charging eachother money
It is unfortunate that you had a poor experience on a club run, I just want to clear up a couple things for anyone who may read this and not post.
on average clubs that belong to the NEA their dues are 20-50 dollars, and most properties are free or accept donations. Properties that offer more then wheeling are no more then $10. That is quite a bit less then a day at a park. Also of the three clubs Ive belonged to, they all break up into smaller groups when they wheel properties to avoid that situation. Some clubs do more wheeling then others.
Some of the money collected from the dues goes towards many things such as trail maintenace, insurance etc.

As has been said, at some point there may not be any public land left up here so this is why this issue is pushed so much. Contact any of the clubs on the NEA site and see if you can do a ride along you maybe surprised at what its like!!
Also its good to see this topic continue as productive!
junk crusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 33456
http://www.northeastjeep.org/

Edit

nevermind you said not a jeep club

Last edited by massxj; 07-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.
massxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 84464
there is no public land, there are only discontinued roads. the smallest towns leave old roads on their maps to get highway department funding from the state, because its doled out based on total linear miles within the town. as soon as trouble starts happening on these old roads, they typically are removed from the listing and the land returns to the abutting land owners. and it never fails.. let a road get popular and it gets taken away. just because mabell is still open doesnt mean everything is hunky dory. there are a few people who have worked their ASSES OFF to keep that place open in spite of all the douchebag stuff that a handful of people do there.

the rest of the land in the northeast is fully private, owned by individuals who pay taxes and have legal liability for what happens on their property. letting any old yahoo mudbog across your back field is asking for massive environmental fines or even possible jail time.

here is how the two are tied together and the reason for the club structure. private land is the most protected tier.. we cant be letting people who we arent sure are trustworthy onto the property that took years to develop trust and trails on. we have to know who a person is. the one or two contact people who know the landowner, cant possibly know all 600 people that want to wheel there, but the NEA can know who the club presidents and admin are, and the pres/admin of each club are tasked with knowing their members and expelling the rotten apples. you weed them out by wheeling the less sensitive properties like mabell and gutter and seeing who just keeps going back every weekend. you have a talk with them and see if they change their ways, if not, see ya. we keep our properties safe by knowing who our members are.

say its a stupid system, but it works. there are more people looking for land, and more people wheeling now than ever. in the last two years weve lost twice as many public spots than we've discovered, and opened more private trails than we've lost. get it now?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
Creepy

Member # 71034
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_belben View Post
there is no public land, there are only discontinued roads. the smallest towns leave old roads on their maps to get highway department funding from the state, because its doled out based on total linear miles within the town. as soon as trouble starts happening on these old roads, they typically are removed from the listing and the land returns to the abutting land owners. and it never fails.. let a road get popular and it gets taken away. just because mabell is still open doesnt mean everything is hunky dory. there are a few people who have worked their ASSES OFF to keep that place open in spite of all the douchebag stuff that a handful of people do there.

the rest of the land in the northeast is fully private, owned by individuals who pay taxes and have legal liability for what happens on their property. letting any old yahoo mudbog across your back field is asking for massive environmental fines or even possible jail time.

here is how the two are tied together and the reason for the club structure. private land is the most protected tier.. we cant be letting people who we arent sure are trustworthy onto the property that took years to develop trust and trails on. we have to know who a person is. the one or two contact people who know the landowner, cant possibly know all 600 people that want to wheel there, but the NEA can know who the club presidents and admin are, and the pres/admin of each club are tasked with knowing their members and expelling the rotten apples. you weed them out by wheeling the less sensitive properties like mabell and gutter and seeing who just keeps going back every weekend. you have a talk with them and see if they change their ways, if not, see ya. we keep our properties safe by knowing who our members are.

say its a stupid system, but it works. there are more people looking for land, and more people wheeling now than ever. in the last two years weve lost twice as many public spots than we've discovered, and opened more private trails than we've lost. get it now?
well said

plus, from the sounds of it, Evand is in a stock truck. Most of the trails he is interested in would be over his head
Amato Motorsports #099

4x4Play Clothing, Justice Racing Engines, Black Hat Fabrications, East Coast Gear Supply, Inner Air Lock, Cut Throat 4x4, SteelMX Optics
amatoer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 104243
Send a message via AIM to asp87
Eric, I think you're right that Evand owns a stocker rig.

I don't know about other clubs, but UJ only charges to attend a run if the landowners charge. I can only think of one place in Western, MA that fits this bill.

Evand, I don't know what to tell you other than you have to pay to play. Good luck getting involved.
asp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 108253
[IMG][/IMG]

i dont rlly think there is much in western ma thats "over my head"
Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 51881
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

i am pretty sure i saw this thing sitting in a junk yard?? to be clear it was under construction in the junk yard
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 75427
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

Tire and lift size doesn't = not being over your head, so put your e-penis away kthx... good luck squeezing through some of the trails in western MA in a full width though.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 162982
Quote:
Originally Posted by parcells9 View Post
Tire and lift size doesn't = not being over your head, so put your e-penis away kthx... good luck squeezing through some of the trails in western MA in a full width though.
as a good full size rig wheeling friend of mine once said "when the trail gets smaller so does my truck"~~the leesus~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdjeepgod View Post
i am pretty sure i saw this thing sitting in a junk yard?? to be clear it was under construction in the junk yard
dont hate just cuz you dont have a junkyard full of parts to help build your rig
Old 07-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Creepy

Member # 71034
Quote:
iv bean looking into clubs around my area and alot of them are jeep only and have lift/tire size rules,
sorry, this quote made me think otherwise. enjoy your junkyard pile. maybe you could drive over a junk car and take some sweet pics
Amato Motorsports #099

4x4Play Clothing, Justice Racing Engines, Black Hat Fabrications, East Coast Gear Supply, Inner Air Lock, Cut Throat 4x4, SteelMX Optics
amatoer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 51881
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96grandbeater View Post

dont hate just cuz you dont have a junkyard full of parts to help build your rig
who said i don't?