Eldorado National Forest Closed 2012 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northern California
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Eldorado National Forest Closed 2012

It may sound dramatic.
but a lot of it is true. most 4 wheel drive roads in Eldorado National Forest look like they will be closed for 2012....
the seasonal closure hopfully will end in the next two weeks, but the 42 listed roads below will most likely remain closed for the rest of the year.

8N23B Prothro Headwater
8N35 Upper West Panther
9N01 blue lake to meadow lake
9N04 Mud Lake 4WD
9N08 Stockton Camp
9N15 Leek Spring Valley
9N54 Leoni
9N82 Pardoes 4WD
9N83 Dear Valley 4WD
9N95 Cosumnes Head
10N01 woods lake area?
10N03 Devils Gate Summer Home
10N06 Pebble Ridge
10N13 Schneider Camp 4WD (know as Strawberry 4WD)
10N14 Mule Canyon
10N21 Long Canyon 4WD
10N26 Scoits Creek
10N32 South Beanville Creek
10N98 Jim Quin Spring
10NY04 Middle Long Canyon
10NY05 Rocky Road
10NY06 Upper Long Canyon
11N09A Bryan Creek
11N22 Strawberry Creek
11N23F North Shanty Spur
11N26F Barrett Lake Jeep Trail
11N70 Mcmanus
11NY32 47 milestone
12NY06 Crystal Shortcut
12NY15 West Robbs Peak
13N24 Dry Lakes
14N05 Mckinstry Lake
14N27 Bunker Meadow
14N39 Richardson Lake 4WD
14N58 Jerre
17E12 motorcycle trail strawberry to Lovers leap
17E16 motorcycle trail behind little round top
17E17 Buck meadows motorcycle trail
17E19 motorcycle trail out of Allen camp
17E21 motorcycle trail north of Silver Lake
17E24 Mud lake trail
17E28 motorcycle trail south of mud lake

more info to follow
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
I HATE YOU

Member # 103588
Wtf?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...-kawq-out.html

Last edited by kdub0013; 04-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
kdub0013 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Everyone can thank the CBD for this.

Now we only have ONE 4x4 trail to use in Eldo, and more traffic on that trail will only mean more damage to it....and more ammo for them to close that one too.

If you live in Nor-Cal sell your 4x4 now.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Everyone can thank the CBD for this.

Now we only have ONE 4x4 trail to use in Eldo, and more traffic on that trail will only mean more damage to it....and more ammo for them to close that one too.

If you live in Nor-Cal sell your 4x4 now.
First, stop abbreviating stuff. 90% of the people on this board have no idea what the CBD is....I'm not even sure, But I think it stands for the Center for Biological Diversity??? Is there a contact there that I can punch in the face? I mean, write a letter to??
2nd.... rally the troops. Who do we have to kick the ever living crap out of to stop this? I am fully prepared to go to jail to stomp on the throat of the people behind this.... no problem...
Rage 4th............ "safety is our #2 concern"
1uglyranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Center for Biological diversity. The same group that sic'ed the water quality folks on the Rubicon. The same people that keep suing land managers so we get shut out. the same people that sued the state to try to close Carnigie OHV area...

Right now.....I have NO clue what to do. Or what we can do.

I think only the Orgs can really do something AFAIK

I will have to figure something out that we can do on our end.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Trailbusters4x4 club

Member # 117547
Well start thinking quick and let us know how we can help and get the word out. Cause wheeling season is fast approaching!
ECV 1004
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 43526
Send a message via AIM to 71BRONCO71
Maybe we need to call J G Wentworth.
IT OUR LAND, AND I WANT TO USE IT NOW!

In all seriousness, WTF (that means what the fawk 1uglyranger )

CA and the rest of the country is broke, and they want to cut tourism down to nothing to kill the mountain towns. I'm getting real sick of the lefties getting their way with everything. They can come in to a situation and flat out LIE!
The Rubicon water mess was a lie. The erosion was a lie. OHV's negative footprint was a lie. Lefties LIE.

I Pledge myself to the cause, no matter what the outcome.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 12920
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
Maybe we need to call J G Wentworth.
IT OUR LAND, AND I WANT TO USE IT NOW!

In all seriousness, WTF (that means what the fawk 1uglyranger )

CA and the rest of the country is broke, and they want to cut tourism down to nothing to kill the mountain towns. I'm getting real sick of the lefties getting their way with everything. They can come in to a situation and flat out LIE!
The Rubicon water mess was a lie. The erosion was a lie. OHV's negative footprint was a lie. Lefties LIE.

I Pledge myself to the cause, no matter what the outcome.
HAHAHA man that one was good, definitely a fawked situation though.
dspin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 79279
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDWUN View Post
It may sound dramatic.
but a lot of it is true. most 4 wheel drive roads in Eldorado National Forest look like they will be closed for 2012....
the seasonal closure hopfully will end in the next two weeks, but the 42 listed roads below will most likely remain closed for the rest of the year.

8N23B Prothro Headwater
8N35 Upper West Panther
9N01 blue lake to meadow lake
9N04 Mud Lake 4WD
9N08 Stockton Camp
9N15 Leek Spring Valley
9N54 Leoni
9N82 Pardoes 4WD
9N83 Dear Valley 4WD
9N95 Cosumnes Head
10N01 woods lake area?
10N03 Devils Gate Summer Home
10N06 Pebble Ridge
10N13 Schneider Camp 4WD (know as Strawberry 4WD)
10N14 Mule Canyon
10N21 Long Canyon 4WD
10N26 Scoits Creek
10N32 South Beanville Creek
10N98 Jim Quin Spring
10NY04 Middle Long Canyon
10NY05 Rocky Road
10NY06 Upper Long Canyon
11N09A Bryan Creek
11N22 Strawberry Creek
11N23F North Shanty Spur
11N26F Barrett Lake Jeep Trail
11N70 Mcmanus
11NY32 47 milestone
12NY06 Crystal Shortcut
12NY15 West Robbs Peak
13N24 Dry Lakes
14N05 Mckinstry Lake
14N27 Bunker Meadow
14N39 Richardson Lake 4WD
14N58 Jerre
17E12 motorcycle trail strawberry to Lovers leap
17E16 motorcycle trail behind little round top
17E17 Buck meadows motorcycle trail
17E19 motorcycle trail out of Allen camp
17E21 motorcycle trail north of Silver Lake
17E24 Mud lake trail
17E28 motorcycle trail south of mud lake

more info to follow
WLDWUN- what's your source for this? We need to get more info so we can start fighting it.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cruiser View Post
WLDWUN- what's your source for this? We need to get more info so we can start fighting it.
Road numbers were posted on several sites
I have taken that list and put the approriate road names with the numbers.

I have spoken with the forest service and they confirmed there are 42 routes involved (they did not send me the list)

they did ask if I would send them my list, since it had numbers, names, county, ML class. So I did
Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 79279
I just saw some of the other threads in the Land Use section. This is BS!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Forty-two off-highway-vehicle routes that cross meadows in the Eldorado National Forest may be closed to motor vehicle travel this recreation season while the Forest Service completes an environmental analysis, announced Eldorado National Forest Supervisor Kathy Hardy.

The potential travel prohibitions are the result of a February 2012 court order by U.S. District Court Judge Lawrence Karlton. The order said the Forest Service failed to comply with the National Forest Management Act in 2008 when it designated “open for public motor vehicle use” portions of 42 routes that cross meadows. Judge Karlton ordered the Forest Service to “set aside” the decision that designated these segments as open and to reconsider the decision.

A final court order with further direction to the Forest Service is pending. In the interim, Karlton ordered the 42 routes remain closed to motorized public use. The final order will identify specifically where travel will be prohibited until a new environmental decision is made.

“I know that prohibiting travel on these routes will be a big disappointment to forest visitors, but we have to be responsive to the order.” said Hardy. “I have a team of people lined up to complete a supplemental environmental impact statement as quickly as possible.”

The SEIS is scheduled to begin in April or May 2012 and to be completed by April 2013.

Hardy says many popular high county routes may be affected by the closure. Some of these routes include: Barrett Lake Jeep Trail; Squaw Ridge Four Wheel Drive Trail; Clover Valley/ Deer Valley Trail; Strawberry Four Wheel Drive Trail; Carson Emigrant Trail; Allen’s Camp Motorcycle Trail and the Bucks Pasture Motorcycle Trail. The Rubicon 4wd Trail is not affected by this court order.

Maps and a complete list of the routes affected by the court order will be posted on the Eldorado National Forest website at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/eldorado. These maps will be modified to reflect the final court order once it is received. A free-of-charge motor vehicle use map that shows the routes that are open to wheeled motor vehicle use will be available at all Eldorado National Forest offices in June 2012 reflecting the final order.

“I intend to close the routes where it makes sense to do so if the final order prohibits travel on routes that cross meadows,” said Hardy. “A route may be closed near a meadow or some distance away depending on how difficult it is to turn a vehicle around.”

Some routes will also be closed indirectly because they branch off closed routes and will not be accessible.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1746
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 77042
Quote:
Road numbers were posted on several sites
I have taken that list and put the approriate road names with the numbers.

I have spoken with the forest service and they confirmed there are 42 routes involved (they did not send me the list)

they did ask if I would send them my list, since it had numbers, names, county, ML class. So I did
I don't want to start stuff, and I do respect all your efforts I've read in threads about this issue.. I know you did the research for your own information, and giving it to them is cut & paste easy... but is it stuff like helping out the FS like this (giving them information so they don't have to do the work)... is this a place to start with them? They are doing NOTHING to help us in any way that I can see/read/feel.

I am so frustrated with a process that seems pointless to work within, know that doing nothing is worse, being belligerent is going to have negative consequences, and to top it all off, any money donated goes to court battles against people who's side is paid for with my taxes.

/rant
MrSammi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20672
Send a message via AIM to forbergler Send a message via Yahoo to forbergler
They drop this and have the nerve to ask for people to support the ENF in the OHV Grant program! We should all write to both the OHMVR and the FS saying they need to pack sand. I am so F'ing sick of the Eldorado NF. I wish they'd just shut down Hwy 88 at 89 and Shake Ridge. They are such F'ing hypocrites. You can do anything you want to the forest if you pay them enough like the Kirkwood group, but if your a taxpayer that the land was originally set aside for to use, your shit out of luck.

"The public may provide comments to both the applicant and the OHMVR Division by emailing Lester Lubetkin at llubetkin@fs.fed.us and copying the OHVMR Division at OHVinfo@parks.ca.gov. You may also send written comments, suggestions, or letters of support for the application to Lester Lubetkin, Eldorado National Forest, 100 Forni Road, Placerville, CA 95667."

Write your reps ASAP.

"You're pretty funny for a guy about to take a bullet". "After f@#king your wife, I'll take two!"

Ride on Wild Bill, ride on.
Sophie Girl
'85 4runner,
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552526&highlight=4skinner500[/url]

Last edited by forbergler; 04-04-2012 at 07:21 PM.
forbergler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSammi View Post
I don't want to start stuff, and I do respect all your efforts I've read in threads about this issue.. I know you did the research for your own information, and giving it to them is cut & paste easy... but is it stuff like helping out the FS like this (giving them information so they don't have to do the work)... is this a place to start with them? They are doing NOTHING to help us in any way that I can see/read/feel.

I am so frustrated with a process that seems pointless to work within, know that doing nothing is worse, being belligerent is going to have negative consequences, and to top it all off, any money donated goes to court battles against people who's side is paid for with my taxes.

/rant
If you look at the court document Cal4Wheel is on the side ENF as a Defendant/Intervenors. We are on the same side on this one.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 77042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothergrim View Post
If you look at the court document Cal4Wheel is on the side ENF as a Defendant/Intervenors. We are on the same side on this one.
Thanks for the info... I have a lot to learn.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSammi View Post
.... but is it stuff like helping out the FS like this (giving them information so they don't have to do the work)... is this a place to start with them? They are doing NOTHING to help us in any way that I can see/read/feel.
/rant
I can understand your frustration in feeling this is something they should be doing....

I really generated the list for us, the users. some people refer to routes by name, some use numbers. everyone needed to know what that correlation was.
Also they asked for input from me. yeh I can tell them to go pound sand. But that gets us nothing. I work on building relationships with them. like it or not, they are the ones that are in charge. I like the fact that I can call up a District Ranger or Supervisor and they would be happy to talk with me. we may not agree but they will listen. They know me.
They ask for help, if it is reasoable why not give it, no different than volunteering for trail maintenece. But I also get their respect....and that does get me into doors when needed sometimes.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 77042
Quote:
I can understand your frustration in feeling this is something they should be doing....

I really generated the list for us, the users. some people refer to routes by name, some use numbers. everyone needed to know what that correlation was.
Also they asked for input from me. yeh I can tell them to go pound sand. But that gets us nothing. I work on building relationships with them. like it or not, they are the ones that are in charge. I like the fact that I can call up a District Ranger or Supervisor and they would be happy to talk with me. we may not agree but they will listen. They know me.
They ask for help, if it is reasoable why not give it, no different than volunteering for trail maintenece. But I also get their respect....and that does get me into doors when needed sometimes.
I get all of that... and as a logical human, I know that building relationships does get past a lot of the 'red ink' at times, allows for 'elasticity' in the rules; give and take, respect, and I'm sure you get more answers from these folks, than if somebody else were to ask the same of them. I am all about these things in my way about life. I guess I just don't see what the FS does for me vs. what they are doing to keep the public out of public lands... I know you get this, and this is more of a rant. I will continue to do trail work, and enjoy what is still available to explore. What is so different between the North side of Hwy 4 and the South side - the North side of Hwy 80 and the South side? I understand lawsuits, litigation, the PROCESS, but if we aren't bad for the environment on one side of the road, can't the necessary studies of these meadow areas coincide with use of the trails... and why isn't that option EVER used by the Judges, the FS. Why is there never any negotiation, just closure to study, and never re-open.

Thanks for the ear!

I'd put ' /rant ' but it isn't true...

Edit: I wheel the area in Sierra Ranger district (Shaver area), and that area seems to relish the thought of folks recreating in the forest, while also needing work being done on trails, etc. I know this works now because there is no lawsuit, but that is also my point.

Last edited by MrSammi; 04-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6170
I hate to suggest more litigation, but can someone tell me why we as a group don't file a class action lawsuit against the cbd for keeping us out of our public lands?

I'll admit to being completly ignorant when it comes to lawsuits and land use actions, but I don't understand, if they can use lawsuits to get areas closed, why can't we do the same to get them reopened? At the very least we might be able to get our voice heard and knock them down a bit.

Kevo
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
jtr
Rock God

Member # 41068
sad
jtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 95253
If everyone that used the trails would join a organization that worked to fight closures we would have a better chance. It takes numbers and money.
Sierra club has 1.5 million members.
chevyjepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22726
Do you think I/people should avoid the Rubicon this year as to not add to extra traffic there? I will miss my time up there but maybe I should check out some other trails?

Something must change soon. This is totally out of control and needs to be remedied. It seems to me that our most basic outlets are being cut off. I forsee anarchy very soon.

Marlin Crawler fan boy.

Last edited by mannysouza; 04-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.
mannysouza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 97797
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbergler View Post
They drop this and have the nerve to ask for people to support the ENF in the OHV Grant program! We should all write to both the OHMVR and the FS saying they need to pack sand. I am so F'ing sick of the Eldorado NF.

"The public may provide comments to both the applicant and the OHMVR Division by emailing Lester Lubetkin at llubetkin@fs.fed.us and copying the OHVMR Division at OHVinfo@parks.ca.gov. You may also send written comments, suggestions, or letters of support for the application to Lester Lubetkin, Eldorado National Forest, 100 Forni Road, Placerville, CA 95667."
Write your reps ASAP.
April 2 was the last day to submit comments.
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1164

Ride on
Brewster
CERA...LAO
Brewster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 181936
a note about this, link, etc should be on everybody's page on any social networking site they are on. There is no possible reason to not share this with everyone that you know
Hoooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.