Where to find abandoned buildings? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northern California
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Where to find abandoned buildings?

I'm in school majoring in photography. One of my favorite things is going into abandoned buildings (the older the better!) and photographing them. It's hard to do because I find lots of fences between me and my photo gold. Just wondering if any of you folks knew of cool places to check out within say a 50 mile drive of downtown Sacramento? Preferably where I won't be arrested for going there. I've been caught in places before, I just say sorry I am taking pics for class they have been decent about it. It's just easier though to avoid that. If you don't want to post the location of something, please PM me. Thanks. Oh and if I go someplace you recommend I will gladly share what I shoot with you. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 124732
might help u --- http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthreads....03&currpage=18

also some of the greatest pics i have ever seen
96redtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 23145
Detroit would be a gold mine for you

i am not sure how the access is but have you checked out the old train tracks and old buildings where they are thinking of building the new arco? just a thought!

Sean
Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Oh good idea. I bet if you follow the tracks from over by the area down near C street or so, they would lead right in there. My guess they wouldn't give a crap if I was there if they plan to tear that all out soon if they do build a new arena.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1001
Send a message via AIM to dblue351 Send a message via Yahoo to dblue351
Ever hear of the Byron hot Springs Hotel? Pretty sweet place, but it is fenced off. It seems people get it there all the time though..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostame...134466/detail/

http://scotthaefner.com/photos/1879/

Read the comments for directions and what not...

http://www.strangeusa.com/ViewLocati...ommentID=45504
Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
wheelin!

Member # 142927
there is a lot of abandoned places up in the hills that would make for beautiful pics
z1u2k3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1u2k3i View Post
there is a lot of abandoned places up in the hills that would make for beautiful pics
Yeah but narrowing it down is what my asking is about. I've been to and found a lot of cool places, but I am sure I missed x 10 times as many simply because I wasn't looking in the right spots.

I spent quite a lot of time trying to find old cemeteries a couple years ago in the area and found some great ones. Thought I would try something new now with this.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 138060
Send a message via MSN to rigger77 Send a message via Yahoo to rigger77
theres a very old cemetery in Dutch Flat. Just up past auburn and colfax. I grew up in a house that backed up to it. My house was built in 1862 and the cemetery is older than that. If you haven't checked it out you might like it. It is cool. Let me know if you want to go and I will give you directions.
rigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
KRT

Member # 129312
I really love abandoned mines. The buildings not the shafts. I don't know of any up your way. I spent a weekend this summer over by mono lake. Went to Aurora, NV. It is a really great for a person who likes old stuff. The little bit I was there wasn't enough. If you ever make it over that just go past Bodie and go to Aurora or Masonic, less people to deal with and no park rangers. Also there is a bunch of abandoned mines by Barney Riley. Most mines are on the forest service maps, even old mines that have long since quit. Well happy hunting.

Last edited by KRT; 01-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.
KRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger77 View Post
theres a very old cemetery in Dutch Flat. Just up past auburn and colfax. I grew up in a house that backed up to it. My house was built in 1862 and the cemetery is older than that. If you haven't checked it out you might like it. It is cool. Let me know if you want to go and I will give you directions.
I'm game. I found some cool ones out near Meridian and then my fav so far was out by Shaw's Flat. Even up near Jackson I find cool stuff. Anything new to check out is always fun.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/76330...93458138_WLovG
Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 138060
Send a message via MSN to rigger77 Send a message via Yahoo to rigger77
If you head east on 80 exit at dutch flat, go left over freeway, you will come to a y. Stay to the left, it will take you to town. You will head down "depot hill". Turn right on stockton street. You will pass an old church on the right, and a the community center on the left. Turn right on 5th avenue, right behind the house on the corner is a small road to the right. I think its called cemetery rd. You'll follow this old funky road a ways and you can't miss the cemetery on the left. It is spread over a few lots. Some of the graves are over 150yrs old.

Enjoy!
rigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 117733
i saw special on tv about bodie. i have got to go there. it might be the motherload of old abandon buildings. i want to go there in the spring.

Bodie is the best preserved ghost town in California. Perhaps the country! Bodie was once a thriving gold mining town with 10000 residents in 1879.
it looks like they all just decided to walk away one day. ( whoops i must not have seen the earlier post?)
Attached Images

Last edited by bigsquat; 01-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 16744
Send a message via AIM to Cobra5.0Jeep Send a message via Yahoo to Cobra5.0Jeep
I like looking at old mines and stuff like that. Have you gone to the Empire Mine State Park in Grass Valley? Some cool old buildings there and last time i went it was only 2 dollars to walk around.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2160
Usually near gold mines there are many buildings in different conditions , up this way there are a few - even off the lake over here there are different buildings abandoned - nice pic's so far brings you right back to the old west- make them black and white and even more so- Jess
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 20672
Send a message via AIM to forbergler Send a message via Yahoo to forbergler
Take Jackson Highway east out of sac. When you hit 49, go in either direction. Just keep an eye out as you drive. Tons of old buildings, even just foundations left from the mid 1800's, lot's of mines, etc.

"You're pretty funny for a guy about to take a bullet". "After f@#king your wife, I'll take two!"

Ride on Wild Bill, ride on.
Sophie Girl
'85 4runner,
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552526&highlight=4skinner500[/url]
forbergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
steph, check out Bryon Hot springs, It's very cool, about about 40 mins from SAC. I've been there a few times now.
Another one in Brentwood is the John Marsh building. More googling will tell you a history on it, but it is also very neat.
If you can't find either place, let me know and I can tell you the best way to access them.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
If you take the river road down from sac too, there are a lot of cool little towns like Isleton that really make great pictures.
Isleton is just a very old town that is let pretty much untouched.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
i saw special on tv about bodie. i have got to go there. it might be the motherload of old abandon buildings. i want to go there in the spring.

Bodie is the best preserved ghost town in California. Perhaps the country! Bodie was once a thriving gold mining town with 10000 residents in 1879.
it looks like they all just decided to walk away one day. ( whoops i must not have seen the earlier post?)
I have plans to go there, but it's more than a day trip than I can make right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra5.0Jeep View Post
I like looking at old mines and stuff like that. Have you gone to the Empire Mine State Park in Grass Valley? Some cool old buildings there and last time i went it was only 2 dollars to walk around.
I went to Empire Mine in August. I actually got to go into the Oyang house there on the property and I wasn't supposed to be in there. Phillip Oyang was there and he told me I could and unlocked the door, so I made in and out before the rangers stopped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbergler View Post
Take Jackson Highway east out of sac. When you hit 49, go in either direction. Just keep an eye out as you drive. Tons of old buildings, even just foundations left from the mid 1800's, lot's of mines, etc.
I go up that way frequently (I love Amador City, one of my favorite stores ever is there) and have been to all those little towns. I was looking for off the beaten path. Most of those ones I come across are fenced up and you cannot get into them is why I was asking if people knew of other spots. I've been to Ione and Preston and that was pretty awesome. I love stuff like that. I'm actually sad they are restoring it.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
If you take the river road down from sac too, there are a lot of cool little towns like Isleton that really make great pictures.
Isleton is just a very old town that is let pretty much untouched.
Forgot about that area actually. That's a great idea. Those towns are really cool.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 134532
I think the old global mills building would have been pretty cool but their turning that into condos or sumthing arent they? The old rail yard, but i think somebody suggested that but just called it something else. Maybe some pictures of subterranean sacramento would be cool. Hey can you please post some of your pictures from the sacramento area, that would be pretty cool to see. Sorry i couldnt be too much help but i love photography, especially of sacramento so i promise i'll keep an eye out for you.
djelliott916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
KRT

Member # 129312
Bodie park lets photographers in 30 mins before sunrise and stay 30 mins after sun set on the 2nd or 3rd saturday of the month.

Malakoff Diggins has a few really neat buildings, and isn't to far from Sac.

Last edited by KRT; 01-17-2010 at 07:20 AM.
KRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 4033
Quote:
Originally Posted by djelliott916 View Post
I think the old global mills building would have been pretty cool but their turning that into condos or sumthing arent they? The old rail yard, but i think somebody suggested that but just called it something else. Maybe some pictures of subterranean sacramento would be cool. Hey can you please post some of your pictures from the sacramento area, that would be pretty cool to see. Sorry i couldnt be too much help but i love photography, especially of sacramento so i promise i'll keep an eye out for you.
I don't have much per say of the Sacramento area (as in the city, lots of stuff around and nearby but most you wouldn't know where simply because it's trees, cemeteries and people). That's something I will working on this semester for one of my classes. When I get stuff going, I will post them up.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 127223
Sacramento has a few abandoned buildings, but you need to be careful. I have been to a few gems though some may be torn down by now or too dilapidated to enter. So please be careful.

The old Ice House on 16th and "S" it's not fenced, but does have locks on doors. There have been several entrances made if you look around. Look for tin walls that have been peeled back, and the second story used to have a fire ladder and an open window.

The old Globe Mill on 12th and ??? "C" maybe??? It's fenced off but the homeless, and drug addicts have punched several holes in the fence. It's a real death trap that one, but some really cool things to look at. It's a rough neighborhood so bring a friend or two. Preferably male. It's not the sort of place even a rough and tough woman would want to go.

Disappearing fast are the entrances to the old Sacramento city below street level. "K" street still has a few old buildings with access to the old city sidewalks and storefronts. The new loft building on J and 8th was built on top of the really cool entrance to the underground city but I am sure there are more around. K street has seen a few fires in buildings, or buildings shut down for safety. Look for those as entrances or more photo opportunities.

Though I am not sure if this building is still around. there used to be a cool abandoned grain mill near the river cats stadium. It was leaning real bad 5 years ago when I was last there, but it was really cool. Always wanted to go back and do some video stuff there since it was neat in that it had large exhaust fans that would turn slowly with the wind.

It was mentioned before, but the old train station for GP has people regularly at the location in newer trucks. I have tried to go there a few times but people were always there. Maybe if you hit it on a holiday, you will have better luck. I have heard of others going in to take pictures so I know it's possible. You can get in the fence quite easily. You can walk in from the railroad tracks but it's a bit of a hike. I came from 24th street but I know there were closer entrances but not sure where at. Might require some recon. I entered through the fence just east of the train station where E street dead ends.

There are a few other small locations but most of them are fenced in like the gas station near Alhambra and "U" street???

Good Luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 379146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGal View Post
I'm in school majoring in photography. One of my favorite things is going into abandoned buildings (the older the better!) and photographing them. It's hard to do because I find lots of fences between me and my photo gold. Just wondering if any of you folks knew of cool places to check out within say a 50 mile drive of downtown Sacramento? Preferably where I won't be arrested for going there. I've been caught in places before, I just say sorry I am taking pics for class they have been decent about it. It's just easier though to avoid that. If you don't want to post the location of something, please PM me. Thanks. Oh and if I go someplace you recommend I will gladly share what I shoot with you. Thanks.
I am stev
I am searching for an abandoned building in Sacramento. And I won't get in trouble for entering. I need it to photograph my girlfriend for her portfolio.
Mrinsideusa@yahoo.com
Mrinsideusa@yahoo.co is offline   Reply With Quote