Moving to Everett, WA!!!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 168979
Moving to Everett, WA!!!!!!

Ok well in June I will become stationed in Everett. We are going to visit first week in May to try and find a house to buy. I am very excited to move to WA. We are originally from MT. Currently stationed in NY and ready to get back to the west. I am in need of some help. I am looking for a house between 130-200K in the Everett area. I also need help trying to find a good neighboorhood. Need room to work on my truck and a mud truck so i dont want to live in a packed neighboorhood but have a little space. Just looking for insight in the area. Also is there good places to go wheeling near Everett and what about pistol Laws there. NY is gay, took 6 months to get a pistol permit.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 141316
How far are you willing to commute? I haven't lived there in five years, but it will help others help you. Ship or shore duty? Good luck!
AlwayswrenchN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 168979
Sea duty. Nimitz. Looking at a maximum of 30minutes drive. North of lynwood, west of lake Stevenson and south of everett is kind of where we are looking. Really need to know where the traffic is bad in the mornings and rush hour.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 848
Everett is a pretty sweet place to be stationed. I grew up in Lake Stevens. There's still a few wheeling places left in the area, but anything that resembles mud promptly gets closed or "repaired". Washington is a "shall issue" state. Just a background check, no classes. Not sure about waiting periods for non-residents though.

Got kids? The quality of schools can vary quite a bit from one district to another. I personally would steer clear of Everett south and Marysville. Lake Stevens is pretty decent. I'm currently living in Stanwood which I've been VERY happy with. I have a house in south Mount Vernon, which is 33min door to base(for sale!). Arlington is decent, but depending where you buy, could add quite a bit of time to the commute(getting to the freeway). Snohomish is "ok", and I really don't care for Monroe much. East of Monroe has a lot of "problems". If you go north, traffic is a non-issue. I commute to Lynnwood and beyond daily.

Check www.redfin.com and www.johnlscott.com for homes for sale. Still lots of bank owned homes out there.

Last edited by Nobody; 01-30-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 187038
I can't help much with houses since I live on the other side of the Puget Sound, but pistol laws here are fairly lax. It takes about 2 weeks to get a concealed pistol license. You basically walk in, fill out the paperwork, get fingerprinted, and wait for it to show up in the mail. It may take a little longer for you because you won't be a resident for a couple months.

A lot of NAVY personnel also commute from Kingston to Edmonds by ferry and then drive to the base. The houses are quite a bit cheaper on this side of the water, and there is quite a bit more wheeling/camping out here. I work at the shipyard in Bremerton, and have actually been on the Nimitz for the past year. If you plan to be here for quite a while, there is a good chance it will end up back in Bremerton for more maintenance in a couple years.
Wrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 182477
If it was me I would seriously think about Whidbey Island (Mukilteo - Clinton ferry). Sure you are going to have to take a ferry everytime, but the available land and price is so much better! If you absolutely have to because of bad weather or whatever you can drive around the top end. Shoot you can just walk on the ferry and take a bus to NAVSTA Everett. Walking on the ferry ensures that you don't have to wait in line with your vehicle and possibly wait for another ferry. Essentially the extra time that it take to take a bus is cancelled-out by the time you might wait for a second ferry with your car. I like http://www.windermere.com/ because of their map functionality.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 848
I think you have to be nuts to live across the water. That's just flushing time and money down the toilet.

Here's the RCW for CPL: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 168979
Thanks for the information on loactions. I dont plan to live on an island. Kinda to secluded for me. Yes i will be traveling back to bremerton for like a year in 2016-2017 time frame. So i plan to live south of everett so that when time comes for me to travel to bremerton every day for a year it is a little bit less time than if i lived out towards lake stevens or Arlington.

Shall Issue - I love it. Might try and file for one when i go out in May. Do you have to have a Washington Address?

AHRN is good for renting but i never could find any houses for sale. If so there is only a few.

Here is another question anyone have any friends or family's that own a resturant out there. I run my diesel on used vegetable oil and i will need to find someone to collect from when i get out there.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
I live about a mile from the base.

If you need help finding anything, or need something checked out, shoot me a messge.

I'm also wired into to all the bars, since I run darts for one of the local pubs.

Daren.

Tellico Rally post #45
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 171448
Early welcome to the neighborhood. I was stationed at everett and got out the navy in 2009. i live in arlington it is about a 15 minutes from the front gate. Lake stevens is very nice and can be expensive but i would have to recommend arlington. Arlington and north is emissions exempt which is great. And walker valley orv park is also only 20 minutes up the road. Arlington homes are right in your price range if you are looking for a 3 bed. Marysville and south has emissions (everett, mill creek, bothell,lynnwood all emissions). . . O as for arlington stay out of glen eagle if you plan on workong on your rig ( i know thos from friends experiences) if you have any questions feel free to ask me
yotaford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Hey snowboard I'm moving out that way too but instead of looking for a house I'll need to find a place to plug in my RV as I'll be a full timer. I'm in western Mass right now. I'm moving out by Everett to help out my dad.

Little Red how are the darts out that way? I played league in Federal Way a loooooooooong time ago! And I still suck, lol.

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 02-19-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Bustin Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 21555
Send a message via Yahoo to Little Red Zuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
Hey snowboard I'm moving out that way too but instead of looking for a house I'll need to find a place to plug in my RV as I'll be a full timer. I'm in western Mass right now. I'm moving out by Everett to help out my dad.

Little Red how are the darts out that way? I played league in Federal Way a loooooooooong time ago! And I still suck, lol.
Darts are a lot of fun, Everett has 4 of the top 20 dart houses in Medalist. The little hole in the wall bar I play for has 20 teams.

Tellico Rally post #45
Little Red Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Zuk View Post
Darts are a lot of fun, Everett has 4 of the top 20 dart houses in Medalist. The little hole in the wall bar I play for has 20 teams.
DAYUM!! They take their darts serious there! I enjoyed it for the time I played.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 142230
i own Jodies drink on broadway and 19th.. when you get into town stop by and ill give ya a drink..

i was station on the ingraham and navsta honor gaurd.. i got out 2010. Hopefully the base is a little better lol.. i hated the long ass walks down the pier when we worked passed the buses.

and x2 on living north.. ive lived all around from lynnwood up to arlington and if your on this board id say go north!

Last edited by nerotxc; 03-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
nerotxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Since some of you know the Lynwood/Everett area pretty well, do you know anything about Keelers Korner RV Park? It looks like a little hole in the wall but has full hook ups(including cable!) and takes older RVs which is what I need. I just hope they have a spot when I'm ready to come out there.

It's also on the bus line so I can get to the gym in Everett and my Dad's. I get to use the car when I get there but I don't want to cramp his independence. He's got a pretty busy social schedule for an old fart.

I'm open to other suggestions but as far as the RV parks around Everett almost all of them are now "resorts" and won't let my old 1989 in no matter how good it looks when I'm done with it.

Or, if you know someone that want's to make a few extra dollars and has some way for me to access electricity, water and interwebs... I'm still working on my truck here but storage raised my rent an additional $50 out of the blue last month. I'm on a fixed income as it is and this jackass raised it saying that he didn't know I'd be working on it. Well, our agreement back in September was that I would be working on it and I have been since then.

Anyway, if someone didn't mind me working on my truck there and had electricity, water and internet(I can use my porta potty) that wasn't too far from Everett I'd be interested in talking with them. I can also provide rent references(I'm a good girl) for the last 6 years.

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 03-13-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
unimogken

Member # 11745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Loose View Post
do you know anything about Keelers Korner RV Park?
Last time I drove by there it was all bulldozed so I don't think it is there anymore. Yelp says that it is closed.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 196490
Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
Last time I drove by there it was all bulldozed so I don't think it is there anymore. Yelp says that it is closed.
Damn, I guess that's why I haven't seen an ad since November.

Does anyone know of any others that will take an older RV or do you know of anyone that would let me stay on their property? I'm going to set up for 50 amp service but will also have 2 plug ins for extension cord power just in case I'm at a private property.

I found one called Hayloft RV Park also in Lynwood. I'm at a disadvantage here. My old stomping grounds was Fed Way, NE Tac, Fife and Milton. I've been looking around Snohomish County and find myself communicating mostly with people from around Monroe but I need to be not too far from a busline.

Thanks for any help. I need it!

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 03-14-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 212283
I'm stationed over at mcchord in Tacoma. And we have a few good places to take your rig out. I'd say 90 mins from ur new hometown. "Elbe"
Funkyfreshmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
hip

Member # 4782
Send a message via Yahoo to hip
Welcome to Evereett, im a civillian stationed at Everett so when you get settled in look me up and i can show ya around some. C451 work in building 2200 room 160.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 168979
Getting Closer

Ok it is getting closer for moving out there. We are actually going to be out there may 4th to the 13th trying to buy a house. so one week i will be in seattle. We hope to have a house picked out in the first few days and sight see the rest.

One off the wall question.
Anyone own a resturant or a bar? I am looking to collect used vegetable oil so I can run it in my 06 F350. That would be a big help if i found someone i could collect from before i got there.

Also anyone know where a set of rockwells is out there? I want the rig to get alot bigger out there. Bigger mud truck, swap out the 16ft flatbed for a bigger one, Hopefully one to hold the 74 f150 and a jeep (for the wife). So i have big plans for that just need to have time to do it.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 196490
I hope your search is going well. Also good luck on finding used veggie oil. The PNW has been a hot spot for a few biodiesel companies and if they aren't leasing clean oil they have contracts to buy the used.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 168979
I am currently in wa looking at houses now. Trying to source used oil now. Really like the area. Already found somebody to swap tires with when I get here. Trading creepy crawlers for boggers of the same size. Really liking the lake stevens area.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 168979
Ok juat waiting to close on a house in lake stevens. Headed back to NY for a few weeks to pack and then I will be out here for good. I love the area. Might need a contractor for a quick siding fix.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 196490
I've run across a few places around Lake Stevens advertising RV parking in their backyards. I'm assuming that they aren't as hardcore as Everett is. I hope some open up when I get there in September.

Good luck with the closing and the move! I'm really happy for you!

Last edited by Bustin Loose; 05-13-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 183983
Talking

Okay, so six weeks resident with an AD ID is the guideline, I put in for mine after six days (just happened to be in the Sherrif's office asking that very question), got my cc three days later in the mail. It's about $60 and a set of fingerprints.

The Mayor of Lake Stevens is a great guy, Vern. Police are pretty cool, but they patrol the lake hardcore due to some accidents that have happened. Lake Stevens has great schools, and an easy commute (assuming there isn't an accident on the trestle). Either way, good choice. You will have to smog newer vehicles after a certain number of years (I moved over from Kitsap county two years ago and haven't gotten a notice yet for my 2003 or 2005).

We are trying to close on a house in Snohomish (actually Clearview, towards Woodinville. The addresses here make no damn sense). Should happen any day.

BTW, we're you at MARF or 8G? Just an educated guess...
beibol is offline   Reply With Quote