Snow run, Hood River Area, 4/14/12 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Snow run, Hood River Area, 4/14/12

Well it's about time for our annual snow run. We are headed up to the hills around Hood River/Mt. Hood/Parkdale area. We will all be meeting on April 14th at The Ranch in Hood River for breakfast from 8:30-9:30 and departing no later than 10 am for the hills.

Trailer parking should be available depending on where we go. Pretty much anywhere we decide to go you can park a trailer if need be. Sounds like we will decide the destination at breakfast but it is between High Prairie, Vista Ridge, Red Hill and Mt. Defiance. The guys organizing this run know all of these areas like the back of their hands so we will not spend the day figuring out where we are (I hate that shit). This should be a 95% snow run depending on conditions obviously.

We dont believe in minimum requirements but we do believe in being prepared and capable. We drive all sorts of rigs, a Samurai on 30" tires to a Jeep on one tons and 38's but all of our rigs are capable, locked up, and have the necessary recovery equipment.

Post up and let us know if you are interested or if you have any questions. We want as many people as will show up. Hard to get all these web wheelers off their asses to go wheeling.
Attached Images

'93 4runner (AKA: [COLOR="Red"][B]The Clean One Owner[/B][/COLOR]) Supercharged 3.4 Swap done, E-Locker in the rear, and a straight axle in the future.
zukidude1.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by gta3wheeler View Post
i am interested but i would like to know how far from breakfast the destinations are. I am a solid 1:45 away as is...

'93 4runner (AKA: [COLOR="Red"][B]The Clean One Owner[/B][/COLOR]) Supercharged 3.4 Swap done, E-Locker in the rear, and a straight axle in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by say789 View Post
hmmm if i get the time id be down. Still got some field testing to do on the ranger

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA3wheeler View Post
I am interested but I would like to know how far from breakfast the destinations are. I am a solid 1:45 away as is......
On average they are about 15 minutes away with the farthest being less than 30 minutes. The nice thing about being out here is that we can hit a logging road just outside of town and drive to any one of these locations without ever being on the highway if need be.

PS. Your Samurai is fuckin' sick.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
i had my black lj last year on 31's.. I can also vouch going with these good guys last year that they know the area and you won't waste time on the trails, which i like as well. I didn't make it up the whole way last year but i was equipped with my winch and recovery gear to turn around as i was on a time constraint, i had to work that late afternoon..

I have to help install a la lift on my soninlaws xj that week end...
Bummer, if something changes i should be there with my 88' bronco 6cyl, on 35's 4.88's locked..
How about you kick it in high gear and build the Xj this weekend, test it next weekend, and you both come wheeling on the run?

Last edited by zukidude1.3; 03-28-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 143356
Ya know, I see these get togethers now and then in WA/OR and either though I don't know anyone it sure sounds like it'd be a great time. I love wheelin and sure would like to do more of it, but I don't want to piss anyone off with my truck for the fact I have bald tires, open diffs, and IFS front. Only thing good I could offer is I have a winch.

Someday when I get a shop built and get my SAS done, re-geared with lockers, you bet I'd love to come along!
4Xjunkie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Xjunkie96 View Post
Ya know, I see these get togethers now and then in WA/OR and either though I don't know anyone it sure sounds like it'd be a great time. I love wheelin and sure would like to do more of it, but I don't want to piss anyone off with my truck for the fact I have bald tires, open diffs, and IFS front. Only thing good I could offer is I have a winch.

Someday when I get a shop built and get my SAS done, re-geared with lockers, you bet I'd love to come along!
There are definitely some runs that you would be ok on with the stock rig. The New Years run to Lost Lake caters to just about any rig. You wont be the first to the lake by any means, but you will probly make it and everyone is really helpful as long as you have recovery points and gear.

This run , however, could get pretty hairy with bald tires. Lots of sidehilling on drifts if we go up to High Prairie. But I wont tell you not to come. If we get a bunch of rigs packing trail you might be fine. And I gotta tell you I admire that a winch is the first thing on your rig. So many people do it wrong and start with a lift and tires, but a lift and tires ain't gonna guarantee your not gonna get stuck, but a winch pretty much guarantees you're not gonna stay stuck.

You got two and a half weeks. Weld the rear end and hot knife the tires!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 191428
Sound like fun.... Never wheeled those areas except my defiance. Will try to make it if I have my traission together by then. Coming from gresham
Coxmich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 113687
For you guys that might be coming, post a picture of your rig. I always get excited looking at what you guys drive to see what all is gonna show up.

Mines the little tiny grey samurai. The yellow Jeep belongs to James, one of the guys putting it on.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxmich1 View Post
Sound like fun.... Never wheeled those areas except my defiance. Will try to make it if I have my traission together by then. Coming from gresham
Just curious, did you hit Defiance in the snow? If so did you make it?

Defiance is a real bitch when the snow gets deep.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 88573
Send a message via AIM to SAY789 Send a message via MSN to SAY789
Im still shooting for it. Just waiting for the motor for my tow rig to get back from the machine shop. Heres my lil ranger that id be rollin in if i can make it

Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
I think I heard that the model with the rear blocks and neg arched fronts was the super rare model called a Medium Boy.
SAY789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAY789 View Post
Im still shooting for it. Just waiting for the motor for my tow rig to get back from the machine shop. Heres my lil ranger that id be rollin in if i can make it

Cool rig man. Hope you can make it.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 143356
Cool man I appreciate that. Think Ill hold off though. I played around up on some logging roads in the snow a few weeks back and I was not impressed. Tires just aren't any good. I do have a lift and 35's, but yeah a lift isn't everything, on a chevy you need a lift just to sit as high as some stock rigs.

I plan to be SAS'd with 38's by next winter, hopefully, then maybe tear some shit up.
4Xjunkie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 191428
Tried to go up mt defiance about early march last year. Didnt make it far. Snow was getting too deep and ran out of time. Went later and there was no way we would have made it. Gets steep for snow wheeling towards end.

My rig is a red 99 tj
Coxmich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxmich1 View Post
Tried to go up mt defiance about early march last year. Didnt make it far. Snow was getting too deep and ran out of time. Went later and there was no way we would have made it. Gets steep for snow wheeling towards end.

My rig is a red 99 tj
Ya it does get steep. I have made it with some pretty deep snow. I basically have to start from the bottom and get to about 6500 rpm in third gear low range and keep packing all of my speed all the way to the top. I have made it up it in about an hour by running all the way without getting bogged down. Once you stop it turns into an all day event. Fun though cuz its a challenge.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Getting closer! Any new takers? Anyone for sure gonna make it?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 41848
Interested but with how the weather looks and this being 2 hrs away not sure what I'm going to do
GTA3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA3wheeler View Post
Interested but with how the weather looks and this being 2 hrs away not sure what I'm going to do
We went up on saturday to check the snow and it was garbage.

We are still going to meet up and still go wheeling but it may not be a snow run. We are considering running a trail that just opened up a year or so ago. It's easy in the summer but its a real bitch with snow on it. If that doesn't take all day the trail leads right to the bottom of Mt. Defiance so we may do that. Still up in the air but it may not be an all snow run. Might be some rocks and trees and stuff too. But we are still for sure going wheeling.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 216431
Will be there for sure! I live on the south side of the Mt. in Rhododendron. Lolo pass is closed to 4 wheel drives and I haven't wheeled the north side much. Looking forward to some new terrain and scenery.
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by cletis View Post
Will be there for sure! I live on the south side of the Mt. in Rhododendron. Lolo pass is closed to 4 wheel drives and I haven't wheeled the north side much. Looking forward to some new terrain and scenery.
Cool buddy. What you driving?

So we have some full bodied rigs that dont want to get hammered on that trail so it sounds like we are going to head to High Prairie. No guarantees on the snow. It was supposed to snow up there this week but you never know til you get there. Sounds like we'll have a good group. We always have fun even if the conditions suck.

PLEASE RSVP IF YOU ARE COMING FOR SURE.

We'll see you guys at breakfast!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 216431
I'm driving a street legal Toyota rock tractor. I will see if anyone from the local Jeep tribe wants to go also. See you tomorrow for breakfast!
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 99840
Thumbs up

Had to ask, Any Pics this year?
Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
wheelin!

Member # 142927
next run If someone has an empty spot in there rig let me know I would like to go! hell ill shoot you some money for gas
z1u2k3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors View Post
Had to ask, Any Pics this year?
There are a few pictures. We were too busy winching to take pics.

I'll post up what I can find.

Last edited by zukidude1.3; 04-18-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Here's some
Attached Images