Oregon Bush Hackers OBH? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
Notices

View Poll Results: Oregon Bush Hackers?
Great Club! 6 28.57%
Meh, the core values are good but... 1 4.76%
Bunch of diptards lost in the woods 8 38.10%
Bacon 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Oregon Bush Hackers OBH?

Help me out if anyone has had a better experience with this group of wannabe's. Here"s my two experiences.

1. Snow wheeling trip two years ago. I rode with my boss. We got to the gas station at the arranged meeting time, and waited an hour and a half for everyone to show up. During our wait, some deuschebag starts picking my bosses jeep apart. "Stock hubs huh? Surprised you haven't broken one of those." "Stock wheels? Hmmm." This was an 86 CJ7 With a super clean 350 swap, 5 speed, ARB lockers and 33" xterrains. The dude was driving a YJ that I would say was in the last years that they made them. No lockers, no winch, just a lift and 35's on big pretty wheels. Finally they get their shit together and they have the "meeting". In the meeting they hammer the hell outta the point that the group that goes into the woods, comes outta the woods together. No bailing. They also stated the route they wanted to run. Post canyon to Mt. Defiance. They're not from our area and wouldn't know that there will be a ton of down trees on that route and it will just be a pain in the ass and we wouldn't get anywhere. But they blew us off when we warned them about it. So off we went. We got to the snow and it soon became apparent that we were in for a long day. Half of the vehicles in the group had no lockers or winches, and when they got stuck, they rarely had straps, and if they did have 'em, they had no way of attaching it to their vehicle. After we got around all the stock rigs, we started moving. We got to an intersection and waited for the lesser capable rigs to catch up. During our wait they radio us and say they are turning around. So we turn around and start heading back, and run nose to nose with them because they decided to keep going. We do a pretty sweet front dig with the winch pulling us around to turn around on the jeep wide road. We head up a ways and hit an intersection with one road up, and one road down. We Chat and they decide down. We get two jeep lengths down and some four wheelers come up the road. They say the road is washed out and impassable. Rather than winch us up, they take the road up and leave us and two of their own rigs stuck there. Pretty sweet!

2. Got invited to go on a run with them up some road in Washington. I figure, "Hell, maybe last time was a fluke". I have my own rig now, Samurai, locked up, goes anywhere. Snow run again. They were supposedly meeting at the starbucks in Washougal at 8 am. We were meeting them 21 miles down the road at the beginning of the road they wanna run. We were there early at 8 am. 21 miles=30 minutes at the most in my mind. They start showing up at 9, and we didn't depart until 10. Hmm, feeling familiar. Oh yeah, the group. The "trail leader" (that didn't know where the hell we were going) was driving a new, stock, Dodge cummins 2500 4 dr longbed. A capable rig, yes. Capable of towing a real wheeling rig to a trail, not leading a snow run. A couple of really nice jeeps and one bone stock xj. Bone stock! It almost looked lowered. Anyway, we take off up the trail and get to the snow. The Dodge gets stuck and we all jump out to air down. We start moving again and get to a couple of nice off camber sidehills where we have to baby 3/4 of the rigs across. No biggy. After another ten minutes of driving we get to a field where everyone plays around for 5 minutes or so and then parks in a grouping to take a break. After sitting there for an hour and a half watching them jack their damn jaws, the two rigs that I went with and myself ask them where they plan to go, and we take off in that direction. That lit the fire under their asses. We get to the next sidehill and i'm in the lead. It was pretty hairy. I drove across and they decided they didn't want to go that way. I'm done. I drove back across and my friends and I decide to bail on these dip tards. We take off and they start calling us on the radio. "Are you sure you can get out of the woods?" We are in three extremely capable rigs and they are in stock vehicles. "We'll make it, thanks!" Ended up having a great day wheeling by ourselves.

It may seem like I'm being too harsh, but that's why I'm posting this. Anyone had a better experience? I can't believe they're an "organization". Help me understand!!!

Last edited by zukidude1.3; 02-01-2009 at 08:19 PM.
zukidude1.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 68801
never heard of them but i wouldnt be going on anymore runs with them if i were you
smalltowncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39184
sounds like a bunch of fuckin idiots. that's why i dont do the club thing. i go wheelin with a select few i know. were in oregon you live zukidude?
WA-HCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25517
Send a message via Yahoo to ffdustyw
Why are you sweating them? Shit, learn your lesson and find a new group to wheel with. Some groups aren't hardcore and are out wheeling for different reasons than yours. We have a couple clubs here and they are the same way. I won't wheel with them because I want to wheel with rig that are just as if not more capable than mine. I don't feel like being a mobile winchline all day.

Dodge,Duck, Dip, Dive, & Dodge
ffdustyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
On a pale horse

Member # 12042
Send a message via Yahoo to Proeliator
I didn't even realize that club still existed. Roughly ten years ago they were a pretty good club, but like I said; I didn't even realize they were still around.
'73 F250, 533 on N2o, 35spln chromo Superior/CTM D60/D70, twinsticked 205, hydro-assist, f&r lockers, 46" Titan R1s. Evil social media page link:https://www.facebook.com/black.donald.3
Proeliator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 128732
Help me understand!!![/QUOTE]

I am a member of OBH and I don't think you're being too harsh. Many years ago OBH was a smaller group that had monthly runs and was a fairly well organized club. Today it is a mailing list with over 500 members. It's pretty sad really. We don't have very many "club" runs anymore. When a run is announced, it's hard to say what kind of turnout and rigs to expect, especially when no minimum requirements are set. You experienced first hand why many of the members don't announce to the whole group when they want to put a run together.

The only reason I bothered to respond is to say that there are some decent wheelers on the OBH list with very capable rigs. So maybe if you give it another chance you might meet a few. Look for a run where they set minimum requirements for the rigs and you might have a chance.

Good luck.
Overit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 64188
Sounds like you went on a couple of snow runs... My experience with those sounds somewhat like what you might have encountered.

Remember that "OBH" is the equivalent of posting up a run in the "local" section of any given 4x4 forum. You're gonna get everything from seriously built to NOOBS. And I think that's especially true on a snow run.

I've done a decent amount of runs with OBH, and the ones that I've done at places like TSF tend to lend themselves more to breaking up into groups depending on the degree of difficulty a person's wanting and the capability of their rig. Snow runs are more likely to end up being free for alls.

On the flip side, there's a few people that I wheel with now, and we met through OBH. These are quality guys with built rigs that I'd rather wheel with them than anyone else. We did the 'con and Fordyce Creek this past summer and it was the best wheeling trip I've done in my life. And I would never have met them except for going on some OBH runs... (one of them being a "dip tard" snow run).

Is everyone there hardcore? Nope. Are they all a bunch of Noobs? Nope. I would think that something like that would be pretty self evident.

I personally know a lot of the people that were on the run with you the other day (no, I wasn't there). Some of them are awesome people that I enjoy being around and would wheel with in a heartbeat. Some are people that I could take 'em or leave 'em. It's all a crap shoot when you're going on a run posted up to a big group like that.

Is it an "organization"? I don't think of it that way. It's a 'community' similar to this "northwest" forum of Pirate that you just posted to. Either you take the bad with the good and deal with it, or you go find something you like better somewhere else.
trayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 13446
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukidude1.3 View Post
Help me out if anyone has had a better experience with this group of wannabe's. Here"s my two experiences.
All right there, maybe before you go posting to Pirate slamming a club you should do a little homework first. Oh yeah, I forgot your a snot nosed little 22 yr old with 82 posts on Pirate and a "locked sambo", your too cool and know WAY too much to think about that first.

Like some of the other replies so far have said, OBH has been around for a long time. In fact, almost as long as you've been out of your mommies protective womb. Back in the day, it was a great way to meet people in the local area and learn about responsible four wheeling, places to go, and to learn to work on your rig. It is an online forum, not an actual club. No president, no dues, just a bunch of people with something in common. It has grown to over 500 members, of which maybe 40-50 regularly post (if that). With ANY club or group that big you are going to run across all types of people and rigs, all types of wheeling experiences. I've made some great friends from that club, a few of which were on that snow run with you. Maybe before you slam them you should learn a little about them as well. The guy in the new Dodge 2500 typically wheels in a huge Ford 1 ton and could out wheel about anyone I know in the snow. His Ford broke just before the run and rather than back out he went in a less than capable rig so he could help. He's very mechanically inclined and one of the nicest guys I've ever met from OBH. Then there's the well built scrambler and toyota rigs. Again, very capable rigs and two of the nicest guys you'll meet.

After 2 runs with the group, both of which were snow runs open to anyone with any rig, you decide to come on here and slam them?? Maybe you should try posting on OBH that you want to go on a run to TSF or somewhere else and are looking for capable rigs to wheel with? See what you get, who you meet, and find out that maybe you'd be the "dip tard" holding up the group and needing help.

If you still think OBH is so bad, just don't show up to anymore runs, what's the point in slamming them on another forum?? Does that make you feel like more of a man?? Feel like your so studdly in your "locked sambo"? If so, why don't you try following me through the Crushers sometime. Ever been there, or is that too hard core for you? Just as an FYI since you own a samurai, the very first two trucks to run the Crushers (and help finish clearing the trail...something else OBH is know for, volunteering and trail clean-ups and repair) were Samurai's....now, ask me how I know.....

Have a nice day junior.

Last edited by sh996; 02-03-2009 at 07:55 AM.
sh996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 64188
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh996 View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot your a snot nosed little 22 yr old with 82 posts on Pirate and a "locked sambo", your too cool and know WAY too much to think about that first.

Feel like your so studdly in your "locked sambo"? If so, why don't you try following me through the Crushers sometime. Ever been there, or is that too hard core for you? Just as an FYI since you own a samurai, the very first two trucks to run the Crushers (and help finish clearing the trail...something else OBH is know for, volunteering and trail clean-ups and repair) were Samurai's....now, ask me how I know.....

Have a nice day junior.

Hey now, sh996, he posted that his "locked sambo" will "run with Jeeps on locked 35's easy".
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...t=#post8444249

So, I'm sure that he's crawl circles around your little "sami" and the rest of us that are running our silly little Jeeps that are locked on 35's (which I guess would include myself as well as Overit, although sometimes Overit does run 36's...)

I'm sure he'd be happy to show you a better line to take over Soup Can next time, or maybe lead us up and down the winch hills of Fordyce Creek next time!

In fact sh996, you might learn a thing or two about Locked Sambos from zukidude1.3

(and for those that can't see the obvious, sh996 and I know each other quite well)

Last edited by trayson; 02-03-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 113687
I figured i'd get a response like this. Its pretty funny actually. Good job finding a pic of my samurai. Pretty good way to try and undermine me. Im only 22 ya know. I guess I should bow down to all you older, more experienced wheelers. But I'm not gonna. I definitely wont be catching any more of the OBH runs. I like to wheel, not sit around trying to figure out where to go. I wont bash your guy's club anymore. That was unfair, I was mad at spending half of my day waiting to wheel. Thanks for all of the response, except for sh996, I could care less what you think. Im out.

Last edited by zukidude1.3; 02-03-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13446
Quote:
I figured i'd get a response like this. Its pretty funny actually. Good job finding a pic of my samurai. Pretty good way to try and undermine me. Im only 22 ya know. I guess I should bow down to all you older, more experienced wheelers. I have plenty of friends and dont need your guy's shit. Catch ya on the trail sometime. Im out.

Ah now, com'on zukidude, don't get your panties in a wad, what did you expect? I'm glad you thought the responses were funny, that was part of the intent of mine, hence the .

Bottom line, OBH is what it is and you get all kinds on an internet "club". I'm just saying before you go slamming it and it's members, give it a chance and try to go on a trail run and not a snow run.

Like Trayson said, you're welcome to go on a run with us anytime and I promise us "old timers" will be nice to you. Trayson wasn't trying to undermine you by posting a pic of your samurai, just letting everyone know that it's not the end all of samurai's like your attitude represented it to be. But, you do drive a samurai and not a jeep, that's gotta count for something!!

Last edited by sh996; 02-07-2009 at 09:08 AM.
sh996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 64188
Quote:
I figured i'd get a response like this. Its pretty funny actually. Good job finding a pic of my samurai. Pretty good way to try and undermine me. Im only 22 ya know. I guess I should bow down to all you older, more experienced wheelers. But I'm not gonna. I definitely wont be catching any more of the OBH runs. I like to wheel, not sit around trying to figure out where to go. I wont bash your guy's club anymore. That was unfair, I was mad at spending half of my day waiting to wheel. Thanks for all of the response, except for sh996, I could care less what you think. Im out.
I wasn't trying to "undermine" you. Just having some fun with ya. I mean, this IS Pirate afterall. I'm sure it is a decently capable rig in it's own right; but when you're talking down to others based on how capable your rig is, expect to have someone like sh996 come and put you in your place. No offense to your Samuri, but I'm not positive that you'd make it through the gatekeeper boulders that would even allow your rig to enter the crushers. Not that there's a darn thing wrong with that. I wheeled forever in a rig way less capable than your current Sami and had a blast, met awesome people, and saw some amazing countryside...

But in all seriousness, if you're not happy with how a run went, then I honestly suggest you plan and lead one yourself. I've been in situations where I wasn't happy with how others were doing stuff, and the only alternative was to man up and plan something myself and tailor it to what I wanted to see.

One of the reasons why runs like the aforementioned OBH snow run has been a crap shoot is because there's pretty much no one willing to step up and lead except for a certain gal that we're all familiar with. No one will argue that she hardly has a rig that you'd expect a "trail leader" to have. But I don't see anyone else rising up, so I certainly don't fault her for at least trying to keep the group alive with some runs.

But seriously, sh996 was dead on when he said to post up your own run to somewhere like TSF. If you are the leader, it's well within your rights to limit the run based on what you wanna see. (i.e. Short wheelbase only, locked rigs only, Sami's only, or whatever else floats your boat).

Who knows, you might fill a niche that's greatly lacking in OBH and make a lot of people happy in the process.

Oh, and sh996: You know that your Sami secretly wants to be a Jeep when it grows up!!!!!!!!! And don't forget who broke trail for you on that snow run a couple years ago at TSF! But then again... Please don't expect me to follow your "little Sami" up Soup Can anytime soon!!!

Last edited by trayson; 02-03-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 21955
oh, some more samurai drama... doesn't everyone know they are only meant for gravel roads

some peoples kids I tell ya
blueballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 22803
Send a message via Yahoo to tomota
OBH is a large club and welcomes everyone with any rig. I used to go on runs with club members a lot when I was new to the area. You will find all kinds in a group that size so if you do not want to wheel with less capable rigs you need to be a little careful what runs you go on.
OBh has also been a leader in keeping the TSF open and expanding so please do not bash on the whole club. Clubs and runs are really only as good as what you put into so if you were on a run and it sucked its your fault too.
tomota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomota View Post
OBH is a large club and welcomes everyone with any rig. I used to go on runs with club members a lot when I was new to the area. You will find all kinds in a group that size so if you do not want to wheel with less capable rigs you need to be a little careful what runs you go on.
OBh has also been a leader in keeping the TSF open and expanding so please do not bash on the whole club. Clubs and runs are really only as good as what you put into so if you were on a run and it sucked its your fault too.
And the reward for biggest idiot dredging up old shit goes to.... YOU!!! Dumbass! Drop it, its over.

'93 4runner (AKA: [COLOR="Red"][B]The Clean One Owner[/B][/COLOR]) Supercharged 3.4 Swap done, E-Locker in the rear, and a straight axle in the future.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 22803
Send a message via Yahoo to tomota
If you start a thread people will respond, kinda the way things work. Name calling ???? Really?? If I ever see you broke on the trail don't worry, I wont stop.
tomota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 113687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomota View Post
If you start a thread people will respond, kinda the way things work. Name calling ???? Really?? If I ever see you broke on the trail don't worry, I wont stop.
Cool, you'll know its me cuz I'll be pissin on your tires as you drive by!!! LMAO

'93 4runner (AKA: [COLOR="Red"][B]The Clean One Owner[/B][/COLOR]) Supercharged 3.4 Swap done, E-Locker in the rear, and a straight axle in the future.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 128287
Send a message via AIM to 1wd B-series
If a run is open to all rigs then expect some stucks and more chatting than driving, thats just how it goes.

Last time i went on a "serious snow run" i rode with a friend, and everyones rigs were all locked up and sweet, cept for one guy with a tacoma on open diffs with 31s .... the dude with the tacoma went everywhere cept when he tried to blaze trail

.... the worst stuck actually went to a guy in a scout on tsl's

As for built samis, not sure how much is into this one or if this guy is a pirate member, but he lives a few blocks from my folks house and his is freakin sick

Last edited by 1wd B-series; 04-20-2009 at 06:48 PM.
1wd B-series is offline   Reply With Quote