Kiamichi Trail ride - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - South Central
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 17480
Kiamichi Trail ride

My sons, one nephew and I took a trip this past weekend (2-17-2012) to The Cossatot River, then on to Clayton by way of the K trail. This was our first trip there, and from all the reports and pictures, we expected a easy trail ride. This was true, for the most part, but when we started our descent from the ridge down to Clayton, the hills were so washed out we had to straddle 3' - 5' deep ruts and build rock bridges to cross a couple of them.

We camped near the fire tower after the first day, and it was a great place to camp, overlooking the huge valley to the north. I had to get gas ( I had 1/4 tank) by the time we made the Indian Highway, so we went north to Talihina and filled back up. Good damn thing, cause we were on the trail another 6 hours.

The Range Rover and Cherokee were definitely up to the task, and we only had to winch once, to get the Jeep out of a washout ravine. I also bent my tie rod really badly, but it straightened out with a hand winch. We usually play at the Superlift Park, so we know how to wheel, but it's different when you know you can't turn around and try a different trail, and you know that your ride has to get you through the trail and then a couple of hundred miles back home. We will definitely do this again, as some of our friends now want to go.

K Trail video.wmv - YouTube
Rover Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Runs Amok

Member # 181276
Yeah, I love running around back in there. I was talking to my neighbor, who owns a wrecker and he said he retrieved a 2wd pickup about 10 miles in, coming from the indian highway. It showed K trail as an alternate route to Antlers on their GPS

Sounds like ya'll had a good time.
s14sh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44175
I accidently ended up on part of that trail, I think. Me and a buddy just went up that way from dallas this past weekend also! We were taking a senic route from Waxahachie TX, to Hot Springs AR. We took 259 north through Broken Bow Ok, to get to hwy 1 towards Mena. We stop at Three sticks monument just to take a look at it, when we saw a trail and said, I wonder where that trail goes!! We took the trail for about 8 miles to the first spit down the mountain, and took that spit down to Muse OK. Beautiful route! Where would I find info on the K-trail?

This is what I drove, just picked it up about a month ago (95, auto, A/C!) The entire build was finished in Dec, with new motor, trans, lift, tires, warn hubs. I like driving it so much, I have started using it as my everyday driver! It getting between 18 and 20mpg!

3spd Auto
Calmini 3in susp
calmini 3in body
calmini F&R bumpers
Warn locking hubs
215/75/15 BFG
15x8 wheels
badlands 6k winch
stock everything else

shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Runs Amok

Member # 181276
There's not a whole lot of info out there about K-trail. On the Clayton side of the trail, there used to be a community called Black Fork. A lot of people here still refer to that area as Black Fork. My Grandparents grew up there. There used to be a school house there, but it's been gone for years. My grandpa always referred to K-trail as "The old CC road". I think it was supposed to have been built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. There's also a legend about a headless horseman back in there, but most of the younger people here don't know about it. Supposedly during the Civil War, the Choctaw Nation sent men into the mountains to hide gold from the Union Army. They hid it, and were ambushed and killed. One had his head shot clean off. There used to be a couple of old timers who were scared to go back there because they were camping one time and the headless horseman rode through their camp. Most likely it was a result of too much moonshine

People used to go look for the gold, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it lately and wouldn't even know where to start looking. Most likely a totally bullshit story, but it made for a good campfire tale when I was a kid camping out back there.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Runs Amok

Member # 181276
Ooh, one more story.

When I was 12 or so, I had an uncle who got it in his head that he was going to find the gold. He had been going back there pretty regular, and thought he had it pinned down pretty close where the gold was. Well, he talked my dad into going back there to look one evening. We all jumped in my uncle's old Willy's Jeep and went looking for the gold. We messed around there for a few hours and it started getting dark. Uncle Albert was digging around a tree and came up with a bone. Probably an animal bone, but it was really dark and we were miles away from anywhere, and yeah...we ended up breaking our necks trying to get back in the jeep and hauling ass out of there

Good times man, good times.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 76674
Send a message via MSN to Tulip
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
I accidently ended up on part of that trail, I think. Me and a buddy just went up that way from dallas this past weekend also! We were taking a senic route from Waxahachie TX, to Hot Springs AR. We took 259 north through Broken Bow Ok, to get to hwy 1 towards Mena. We stop at Three sticks monument just to take a look at it, when we saw a trail and said, I wonder where that trail goes!! We took the trail for about 8 miles to the first spit down the mountain, and took that spit down to Muse OK. Beautiful route! Where would I find info on the K-trail?

This is what I drove, just picked it up about a month ago (95, auto, A/C!) The entire build was finished in Dec, with new motor, trans, lift, tires, warn hubs. I like driving it so much, I have started using it as my everyday driver! It getting between 18 and 20mpg!

3spd Auto
Calmini 3in susp
calmini 3in body
calmini F&R bumpers
Warn locking hubs
215/75/15 BFG
15x8 wheels
badlands 6k winch
stock everything else

I know the previous owner and BaerTrax did all the work on it. Shrek, your name wouldn't be Robert Hogen would it?
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 44175
Thats me! Ben put the right parts on it. Still needs transfer case gears and I want limited slip in the front and rear. When is your next trip to clayton?
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote