Pirate 4x4 banner

Houston TX? I might be moving....

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Rttoys 
#1 ·
I didn't know where to post this but I figured this was close enough... Can anyone from Houston clue me in on local offroad parks? I've got a ton of questions about the area and have never been. I work for Barnhart crane so I'll be transferring there for work. I wanna find a house with a shop and enough space to park my tow rig trailers and a couple trucks.

My head is spinning right now so anyone that can help talk to me bout the place thanks.

#2 ·
First off weres there company/shop located?
Second Houston is huge. Stay north or northwest of houston area.
Theres acouple small parks mud and atv type parks if thats your thing.
Rocks or good trail riding your looking a couple hour drive.

Pm me if you want more details.

#4 ·
HHmmmm where to start.....

Do you know spanish??? :laughing:

That is the industrial east side: Plants, industry, the Port of Houston. Nothing wrong with working there, but as far as living................meh. I would look into The Highlands, Crosby, Dayton, Baytown or Liberty to find a place that would be fairly nice without deed restricted neighborhoods, so you can store your toys.

It's kind of weird over there. Right where you will be working is probably 60-70% Mexican, 30% lower to maybe middle class, with about 5-10% normal middle class or better. There are some diamonds in the rough though. Just east to north east (Channelview) is mostly rundown with areas of nice middle and even some upper class houses (more near Beltway 8). Hit more Highlands and it's mixed all over. Crosby is a little more north east with more space and all mixed. More towards Dayton is more rual with good land. Baytown is all mixed with a bunch of new construction. Stay north of the port if you want to save time getting to work. South of the Port around Deer Park, Kemah, Clear Lake will be much more expensive and traffic will suck getting to and from anywhere.

Wheeling: Crosby has a few parks, but it's ATV/UTV mostly trails and mud. The closest 'crawling' will be General Sams which will be probaly be 80 miles from your work. I will use 'crawling' loosly for that park. It's mostly trails with some rough stuff and one hill that can be run on all lines with a locker up front and 33-35. It is what it is though.

Alto (Shiloh Ridge) or Hidden Falls (other side of Austin) will be the closest thing to good wheeling but Alto will be 160 miles out and HF is 220 (plus going across Houston).

Any direct questions, feel free to ask. I have friends on the East side off of Crosby/Linchberg rd. He has about 1/2 an acre, decent older neighborhood no deed restrictions. I can ask if there is anything in his neighborhood for sale. That would be a 15-20 minute drive to work without traffic.

#5 ·
Will you be actually working at that location or is that the home office?

As Rttoys said, that is not a great area to live. I would look in areas a little ways from there. I would certainly rent when you first get here and get a feel for things. The areas on the east side or so hit and miss you really need to figure it out for yourself. Although Rttoys was pretty spot on with his assessment.

I would say live anywhere except east, but then your drive will SUCK!

#6 ·
Everyone here is spot on. Closer to more wheeling destinations if you go north to look for places to live. From there you would have about 5+ hours to get to Katemcy Rocks, 5+ to Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX and 8+ hours to Clayton, OK or Hot Springs, AR. Look up www.southernhighrollers.com, we're a Houston area 4x4 club. Got members spread all over, some even EAST of where you showed.

#7 ·
Ok y'all I know I haven't posted in this thread in a while, but I was waiting to see if this was really gonna happen. My girlfriend which is the love of my life just landed a really great job at Shriners hospital in houston. Her start date there is sept 10th. Right now I'm a lil blown away that I am prolly gonna be leaving the only place I've ever called home and going there with her.

Here is the deal... I'm not moving with her right away... It will be at least next spring, maybe summer before I can move down there. Right now she is going to be renting an apartment near the hospital and I just cannot make myself be in an apartment... Been there, done that. So while she is down there she will be looking for a house to buy/rent. I promised her that the day we found a place I could stay id load the yota on the trailer throw my stuff in the truck and head that way.

I'm a good ole country boy at heart... I've always pretty much lived in the woods and kept to myself and have always had a few close friends that I worked on trucks and wheeled with. So as this develops I'm gonna be trying to figure out things in Houston and how all this will work out...

Thanks for reading this and man my mind is going a million miles an hour right now... Biggest city I've ever been to is Dallas and that boggles my mind... So y'all fellow offroaders I'll be trying to reach out to y'all to meet new folks and all that good stuff...

Thanks

#8 ·
This is going to be tough. Where she is working versus where and how you want to live are going to be a great difficulty. She will be inner city downtown Houston so to speak. trying to find an unpopulated area with a lot of room to move is going to be a good distance away. Not impossible; there would just be a commute for someone.

I'm trying to think of what direction you should look at for a home, but this will be difficult. I would say go towards Alvin, but that direction is boring, unless you like to fish. You could go north east but it's not the best area overall. West going towards sugarland or Katy is very very populated and mostly expensive. Galveston is always nice though. Clearlake is not bad? 0oooooohhhhhhh This Place is huge, so many options.

#9 ·
Well Shriners is down on main street, and Barnhart crane, the place I'll be working is in the greens port-brown ship building park area. I'm not against commuting to and from work up to 30 miles one way... I travel 33 miles one way now. Once she moves down there I'll come down and take a look...

Honestly I'm not into doing anything really other than working, playing in my shop tinkering on trucks, hunting(which is out down there) and just hanging out with my girl and stuff... I'm kind of boring I guess haha so that helps my finding new living places out

#11 ·
I could handle suburban life as long as I have a place to park my truck and trailer and a shop/garage to work on my junk....
That's the problem, finding somewhere decent with a HOA or Civic club (preferably none at all in your case) that'll allow you to park a trailer, rigs and such within 30-40 miles of work, will be hard to come by. East, south east or south will still probably be your best bet.

Hunting can still be done it's just different down here than most areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.