Pirate 4x4 banner

Texas Auto Gear/David Yackley?????

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MSC 
#1 ·
Anyone ever done any business with Texas Auto Gear or dealt with David Yackley?

Does he do decent work? Is he dependable/trustworthy?

#3 · (Edited)
they answered the phone. I think their new shop is in Magnolia. Right or wrong, I just didnt have a good feeling about the place.

Needed a shifter console built and some wiring harness work. Found someone else to help me out.

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located and what kind of work do you do?

#5 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread... but had to toss in my input.

Yes. Texas Auto Gear is still around. The old shop off Carby wasn't large enough to handle the volume of work that was coming in. So we moved to a much larger, much nicer facility @ 11902 FM 1488 in Magnolia TX. New Telephone # is 281-259-4763

Just a bit of background. The company, which was started by Owner and head fabricator David Yackley almost 20 years ago. A former structural welder, he ventured out on his own to turn his hobby into a business. Which has flourished over the years into a very well known company with a loyal and very longstanding customer base. Some customers coming from out of state. David is a very stand up guy with great fabrication skills. His shop is VERY busy these days with no less than 50 vehicles in the lot at a time. (i'd like to think that speaks for itself) "Texas Auto Gear" has been mentioned in several magazines showcasing work he's done on featured vehicles. There isn't much this shop can't do.

Mind me asking Haybine why you "just didn't have a good feeling about the place"? Would really like to change your opinion. If you are on facebook, please "like" and follow us at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Texas-Auto-GearDavid-Yackley/190348927642433?ref=hl and perhaps see for yourself some of the work coming out of this shop. The old website has been down for years but recently brought it back up to start giving it a new life. No changes have been made yet, but we are about to update the contact information first and then start "freshening" up the page with new information, photos and perhaps a whole new design. Can check it out at Texas Auto Gear - txautogear.com

OR if your ever in the area.. Stop on in and check out the shop! We welcome you! Also check out our line of HIGH QUALITY, SUPER BRIGHT LED lights and lightbars that are offered at VERY competetive pricing.

#6 ·
Bad Experience with Texas Auto Gear

If you were to ask me about Texas Auto Gear I would tell you to run like hell! I ended up with a spun pinion bearing 10 days after they did a re-gear on my 2 year old JKU. I supplied brand new factory Timken bearings and Sierra Ring & Pinion from West Coast Differentials. They blamed the bearings for the failure, not the installation of course. 3 weeks later and a tow bill to get it there, he asked me to pay for half of the repair since I supplied the parts! Very poor business practice! Still cant believe how poorly it was handled. Wouldn't return phone calls, every promise time/day never panned out. Constant excuses that they were too busy to fix the re-check for 3 weeks! What a nightmare! What would you do for transportation if your daily driver sat for 3 weeks? Beware who you do business with!

#7 · (Edited)
I supplied brand new factory Timken bearings and Sierra Ring & Pinion from West Coast Differentials.
This is becoming a huge problem, since people can get stuff supper cheap off the interwebs. I don't know who WCD is and I don't really care, any time a customer brings in their own parts, they are responsible if it fails. It could have been installation error or it could have been a bad part. Who knows? They are blaming your parts. Since the shop has no connection with your parts source, what do you want them to do? They didn't make any money off the parts, just the labor to install. Are they suppose to stop everything and fight your supplier to get reimbursed for the failed part they never purchased and the labor to do the job over because of your failed part? :shaking:

If they sourced the parts and installed them, I'm sure they would take care of it (or it would be good business practice to do so) very quickly, then a quick call to their own rep at their convenience to solve the problem on their end, while you are already down the road. At least, that's how I run my shop.

And no, I have no connections to or even know of the shop in question. Just speaking from experience. There is a reason shops are shying away from jobs that customers want to bring in their own parts or charging a 'corking fee' to do the job.

#8 ·
I do know David and while I have never done direct business with them I have no issues sending people over there. In regards to customoer supplied parts, your lucky David even took it. And the warranty works the same way. If they bought the total parts from thier supplier and there was an issue, they can hit the supplier for the costs of the repair. Since you brought in your own there is no recourse unless you want to take that up directly with the supplier of the bearing that they blamed for the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.