Pirate 4x4 banner

Been Awhile...

698 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  88LiftdBronco 
#1 ·
I was born and raised in Grove, OK and have been missing my old hometown... They only thing really keeping me from moving back is my parents and money. However, I need to get away from Oregon... I'm tired of how the people in this area act and DEFINITELY tired of bigger cities... So, I'm going to work towards moving back sometime next Summer..

I was curious about a few things though (for people that live somewhat close to Grove).. do you know about what housing costs, how high is min. wage in Oklahoma, what is the job situations like down there (a.k.a. are there alot of openings), ect.

I shouldn't have an issue getting a job there since my family knows basically everyone in Grove (or used to) and related to a good chunk of the town. If all else fails, I know a few places I can crash til I can get back on my feet.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

#2 ·
Not the time to move

Now is not the time to move unless you don't mind starving. The economy of Grove has taken a dive. I own 64 acres on Grand Lake with 1/2 mile of waterfront. Can't even list it because land sales have fallen so low.

Recently 100 acres of land on Monkey Island (the biggest tourist area in Grove) had to be auctioned off. This land was on both sides of the highway and had some waterfront.

Went for 60K!!!

If you have a roof over your head and 3 squares a day, better be thankful.

I wouldn't move unless you have a good job lined up ahead of time.

#5 · (Edited)
Now is not the time to move unless you don't mind starving. The economy of Grove has taken a dive. I own 64 acres on Grand Lake with 1/2 mile of waterfront. Can't even list it because land sales have fallen so low.

Recently 100 acres of land on Monkey Island (the biggest tourist area in Grove) had to be auctioned off. This land was on both sides of the highway and had some waterfront.

Went for 60K!!!

If you have a roof over your head and 3 squares a day, better be thankful.

I wouldn't move unless you have a good job lined up ahead of time.
Doc, I never knew you had property on Grand!!! Our boat lives there and spend a lot of time there during the summer. If/when you come down, give me a shout, maybe we can meet up on the water side of the dam. I have a 3275 Cruisers, so we can cart a few around.

We're down on the south end in Drowning Creek at Hi Lift Marina, across the channel from Duck Creek.

Sorry for the hi jack. I work a good bit in Grove and surrounding areas, and this is not the time to uproot and head back without something lined up and ready for you. I think it has about settled out, but not coming back real strong just yet. Give it time, it'll be a better situation again.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice man! I didn't know it went downhill like that.. I used to live on 7 acres on top of a hill overlooking Grand Lake (parents technically still own the property) like a mile or 2 from Bernice, like 4 miles from Monkey Island, and about 15-18 miles from Grove. I'd love to move back, but there's new plans since me and a classmate from school are starting a restoration shop here in Redmond, OR. I'll just have to keep checking in on Grove every once in awhile and make a few road trips through the years and decide when I can/best time.

Thanks again for the heads up

#4 ·
When did you move away? I lived in Vinita most of my life. My parents sold a house there on 20 acres for around 150k-175k. It was all metal frame and 6" walls. Someone got a good deal. The house was only 5 years old. They sold the other 20 acres for around 2k an acre.

Are you familiar with Dentures and Dental Services. My grandparents used to run that place. A lot of my family worked there.

Did you know any Burlisons? There were 2 girls and their dad was a roofer.

#6 ·
We moved away about 6 years ago? We never really went to Vinita, everything we did was in Grove. My mom worked at Integris (both the old and new hospital) in Grove. That name doesn't sound familiar, but our last name is Graham...or some relations last name is Jacksons.... Idk if that'll ring any bells, but there's a TON of my relatives down there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.