Pirate 4x4 banner

Good Transmission Shop Near Clayton OK? NV4500

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  SissyJeep 
#1 ·
The bearings have started roaring on my NV4500 in my dually and we are almost to Clayton. We will be staying a week and I might need to find someone to rebuild it that is good and priced fair. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Before you pull into the park, on your left will be a shop & trailer houses, that is slims. Check with him. Or catch Greg at the a & a hotel in town. There is a tranny shop here in Noble, but we are 3 1/2 hours west of ya.

#3 ·
Shain, I talked to the OP last night and they're gonna check with Slim. I wonder if there's someone in Poteau? Yellowjanda (I think that's the name) is from there, I think. I know there's supposed to be an offroad shop over there, but I don't know anything about it.

#7 ·
We had a freaking blast. Green Acres is an awesome park. Gobblers Knob was my favorite trail. We had to cut a fallen tree out of the way at the notch near the top.

I got home last night at 10PM and will post some videos when I get them downloaded.

Slim is a great guy and and did an excellent job rebuilding my transmission. You are fortunate to have him at the entrance of the park. I soon figured out that he knows his stuff after talking to him, looking at his work and the things that he has built. I had a rebuild kit shipped to him from Blumenthal Heavy Duty in Oklahoma City. Slim even had some NV4500 cores in case I needed any gears or other hard parts. We also had him to replace stripped gears in a front D60 on one of the rigs and build a heavy wall rear drive shaft on another rig.

#10 ·
Did you guys get hailed on up there?
Yes, we got some marble sized hail.

Hey Perry, how did the evolution chassis work for you there?
It worked great. We ran every trail except for some of the easy ones and the Bounty Trail. I only had to winch at one spot on a climb to the side of a creek bed that I can't remember the name of. Big Sam in the yellow buggy was the only one that made it on that one.

I lost my brakes on Gobblers Knob after hitting a banjo bolt on a rock but that was an easy fix. When I broke the entire steering ram mount off the front axle on Slims Slope, that fix wasn't so easy. The mount / guard was made of high strength tube used for drilling rock in preparation for blasting. It worked on the Samurai so I never changed it. The material failed near the welds.

I am still processing videos and pictures. My Go Pro somehow got changed to picture mode so I have no videos from it.

#11 ·
Ha ha ha! Ya, Green Acres will seem to find the weak links! Was the hill you had to winch on right at the end of the air strip to the left with 2 big ledges with a huge rock face on the left side? That would be KTs climb!

You guys should plan on coming back to Clayton on March 28-30, 2014 for the 5th annual meet n greet! It's one hell of a party with, as you now know, the best wheeling!

#12 · (Edited)
Ha ha ha! Ya, Green Acres will seem to find the weak links! Was the hill you had to winch on right at the end of the air strip to the left with 2 big ledges with a huge rock face on the left side? That would be KTs climb!
Yes, that is the climb. I left several dollars worth of rubber trying to get a tire hooked on the upper corner notch of that ledge. Gasper's Goo was a good one also. Green Mamba dented my .188 wall side step.

#15 · (Edited)
I was trying but I couldn't stand to torture the sticky tires any longer.

Perry it was nice to meet you! Wish you guys would have been able to hit Bounty and Extension to Green Momba Extension with us on Friday. Bounty ended up taking longer than expected though due to failed a failed brake line, Flat tire and blown up Ring and pinion:shaking: LOL so I guess ya'll made the right choice.
It was good to meet you guys too. I was ready to get home after 6 days away. My son was definitely ready to leave since he had gotten in to poison oak or ivy. He went to the Dr. and got a shot when we got home.

Here is a link to the photos: http://s244.photobucket.com/user/Sawzall/library/Rides/Clayton OK July 2013

#14 ·
Perry it was nice to meet you! Wish you guys would have been able to hit Bounty and Extension to Green Momba Extension with us on Friday. Bounty ended up taking longer than expected though due to failed a failed brake line, Flat tire and blown up Ring and pinion:shaking: LOL so I guess ya'll made the right choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.