Houston Area Trail Rides? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - South Central
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Houston Area Trail Rides?

I'm curious as to where people in the "general" Houston area, like to go. Whether it be trail riding, mudding, rock crawling or just hanging out and havin a good time in the woods behind a neighborhood..

Lets have it.. Where do you go????
pic_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 56696
Check out www.springcreekoffroad.com Man made rock courses, shot crete and loose rocks, mud bogs, trails from flat to impossible. Lots of mud and various challenges. This saturday are the season's last mud bog series, and we have a huge rock crawling event coming up on Nov. 7th. For more info call 713 806 9410. Roland.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Oh yes, I've definitely been there.. Many many times.. Enjoyed it quite a bit

Every time I show up.. Everyone thinks I'm someone named "Barry".. Guy must be well known. They say my truck looks like his.

Anyway, thanks for the info! Will there be a new Spring Creek anytime soon? I heard the lease is coming to an end at the current location.. ?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 94951
www.katemcyrocks.com

www.treesranchoffroad.com
Atomic Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
In addition to those already listed Shiloh Ridge isn't too far. Its got plenty of trails. There is a good bit of mud if it rains. There are some rocks to play on as well, but not a ton.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28956
General Sam's is close as well. I haven't been there but I've heard it's alot of mud. BMRA in Gilmer really isn't that far and worth the drive. Hidden Falls is out just past Austin in Marble Falls and worth the trip as well.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 118757
as far as i know, katemcy has closed down. I live in Richmond, and just bought an 85 4runner that I am in the process of building up. I've been to spring creek a couple times. let me know if your interested in meeting up.
DTCsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 144127
does anyone know of a place up near bryan?

i live out in huffman and we go to spring creek, and highway 90
BIGthis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTCsk8er View Post
as far as i know, katemcy has closed down. I live in Richmond, and just bought an 85 4runner that I am in the process of building up. I've been to spring creek a couple times. let me know if your interested in meeting up.
Just read that Katemcy is opening a new location in February, just outside of Mason, TX. I'll have to check it out next year.

As far as General Sams goes.. I'd like to try it out, for sure. Pretty soon too

I ended up goig to spring creek on Saturday to watch the mud races.. It was a good time for sure. Played around on the rocks en route to 2nd beach.

But ya I wouldn't mind goin riding somethime, anywhere really.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85264
Honestly, General Sam's is a day run at best. Unless you like nasty deep mud holes, you will be bored in about 3 hours.

Hidden Falls is nice. I went and helped clear trails back when it was Boulder Creek still. They lost some land and had to cut new trails, but I really liked the terrain.

As mentioned above, BMRA is nice and not too far.

Some friends and I are trying to make a run to Shiloh Ridge Oct 30-Nov 1 or the weekend of Nov 15. You are welcome to come if you are interested.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Hidden Falls looks like a pretty good area. I grew up out that way.

BMRA looks nice as well.. I'll have to try both at some time.

Shiloh Ridge is much closer though. I'll be out of town at the end of this month, otherwise I'd make it up there to join you guys. Thanks for the invite though.

Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 99192
Send a message via AIM to BubbaZ71Tahoe
Shiloh Ridge in Alto and Barnwell in Gilmer.

I hear Mud Creek in Jacksonville is supposed to be opening for trucks and jeeps also.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 30359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGthis79 View Post
does anyone know of a place up near bryan?

i live out in huffman and we go to spring creek, and highway 90
Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch

http://www.brazosvalleyoffroadranch.com/

It's an old gravel quarry with mostly mild to moderate stuff, though there are some trails up the quarry pit walls that can get pretty hairy.

Quote:
Texan. Saved my neck twice... once after he was dead.
mudtoy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 128469
how about some illegal wheel'in? i live in katy and ride behind the neighborhood (grand oaks) to test out the latest upgrades or just to drink beer and run off mexicans dumping trash. there used to be some pretty good hills but the county resloped the banks and filled alot of sinkholes, but i still got some places. made two more last weekend. i'm still learning how far this yj on 42's can go.
JORDANJ@BAKERCONCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDANJ@BAKERCONCRET View Post
how about some illegal wheel'in? i live in katy and ride behind the neighborhood (grand oaks) to test out the latest upgrades or just to drink beer and run off mexicans dumping trash. there used to be some pretty good hills but the county resloped the banks and filled alot of sinkholes, but i still got some places. made two more last weekend. i'm still learning how far this yj on 42's can go.
Ha! Yes sir.. That type of riding is often times the most fun.. And the cheapest.. Until you get caught, I suppose.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
"ehh...you got that"

Member # 126355
start rant

Guys, while i enjoy wheeling on the backroads just as much as the other guy, i think that propagating illegal wheeling, and riding around behind a neighborhood is exactly what is causing the wheeling community to have a bad name, and thus cause closure of land. This, i am not ok with. So unless you have alot of property you can wheel on that is YOURS, go sac up and get to some place that is legal, and stop giving the rest of the wheeling community a bad name.

end rant

91 Xcab--4D's, chromo 60's, locked, TR's, Now receiving a facelift with Links, a cammed 5.3 with z06 goodies, built 700r4, and 2spd Stak
scottapher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Devils Trailboss

Member # 51571
Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDANJ@BAKERCONCRET View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic_jon View Post
Ha! Yes sir.. That type of riding is often times the most fun.. And the cheapest.. Until you get caught, I suppose.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 17342
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic_jon View Post
I'm curious as to where people in the "general" Houston area, like to go. Whether it be trail riding, mudding, rock crawling or just hanging out and havin a good time in the woods behind a neighborhood..

Lets have it.. Where do you go????
Disregard advice like driving behind neighborhoods, no better than trash dumping and has a direct impact on legal TX wheeling locations. Find a legal place to wheel, several good suggestions were offered up.

Last edited by swamptiger; 10-30-2009 at 11:50 AM.
swamptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
$5 Fine For Whinin'

Member # 142381
My neighborhood has a recreational area for it's residents.. There are quite a few trails back there which I ride. These are the only "behind the neighborhood" trails I ride. Just stay off the river bed/beach area and the cops will let you do your thing.. Even come up and ask you about your vehicle..

I'm stayin legal, No need to rant here.. I do see your point though, and I agree.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85264
Is that near old 90 and the Beltway or on the backside of Spring Creek?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 132282
I love it when people use closure of public land as a rant in texas.....
This isn't washington, colorado, or cali dude.. No public land to get kicked off. All the parks that were brought up in this thread are private, and as such have their own set of rules(or lack of). STILL a good point to make, but the wrong attack. Big bend has public trails for off road use...
Just my 2 cents. It's not tuesday right
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
"ehh...you got that"

Member # 126355
Quote:
I love it when people use closure of public land as a rant in texas.....
This isn't washington, colorado, or cali dude.. No public land to get kicked off. All the parks that were brought up in this thread are private, and as such have their own set of rules(or lack of). STILL a good point to make, but the wrong attack. Big bend has public trails for off road use...
Just my 2 cents. It's not tuesday right
Hey ...blackfeet, do you remember THE SLAB or DEVILS DEN??--both public land spots moron. Both are now closed due to laws restricting offroad vehicles on public land, and both were badass, close, free spots to wheel. Not to mention now that no open wheeled, motorized vehicle is allowed in ANY Tx waterway...thats a tough obstacle to overcome. Get your stuff together before you want to play again, and i have no idea why you would flex nuts saying my point was invalid, defending someone who is posting shit like this:
Quote:
Dont come into a thread unless you have something to of value to offer.

Scott

91 Xcab--4D's, chromo 60's, locked, TR's, Now receiving a facelift with Links, a cammed 5.3 with z06 goodies, built 700r4, and 2spd Stak
Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 132282
MAN!!! wet vagina? I was agreeing with your point. Wait, did you just let your blood pressure go over what the Dr. recomended. Maybe you could read and bitch instead of just bitching. Its cool though, I do in fact remember the llano slab and the den in SA. from what I understand, the den was being accessed through private property, and if you think its cool to drive up a river all day dripping all kinds of shit out of your toy, then you do have the biggest balls of us two. However, I don't think its cool. FREE? Free for you maybe. Not for the dude down river with his fam. coated in tranny or dif oil. Good Job. You just won stressed out D-bag of the day. Now, go take a pill...

Last edited by blackfeet; 11-18-2009 at 04:41 PM.
blackfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
"ehh...you got that"

Member # 126355
1--You were wrong in saying that there isnt public land being taken away from the wheeling community in Tx, so you had no valid point to act like i was blowing smoke out of my ass.

2--My rig doesnt leak like a junkyard pile, so no problems there when thinking about riding down riverbed.

3--Devils Den actually closed because the City was stating they were going to use the riverbed for some sort of public hiking trail or some sort of development, and everytime i went down there it was accessed from the public street.

4--
Quote:
Good Job. You just won stressed out D-bag of the day. Now, go take a pill...
That shit actually made me laugh! Really, no sarcasm intended...sounds like something i would say--good fun.

5--point being that when somone makes a point to someone else about how juvinile "illegal wheeling is" and the reprecussions that usually follow, its not necessarily the best idea to undercut that point by posting something cynical--when you agree with the viewpoint of that said person.

6--pissing match over, it just takes too much effort and time these days

Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfeet View Post
No public land to get kicked off. All the parks that were brought up in this thread are private, and as such have their own set of rules(or lack of). STILL a good point to make, but the wrong attack.
Gilmer is public land. Bridgeport off-road park is public land.

And no, it's not the wrong attack. While you may not feel directly affected your illegal actions still add fuel to the fire in the rest of the country.

Last edited by apeters89; 11-19-2009 at 05:53 AM.
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote