Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   USA - Southeast (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/87-usa-southeast/)
-   -   Save Durhamtown Ride (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-southeast/1035664-save-durhamtown-ride.html)

73FJBUGGY 01-10-2012 07:34 AM

Save Durhamtown Ride

I want to see what the viability is for a "Save Durhamtown Ride" February 25th. No banners or anything else needed, just a LOT of trucks showing up to show Mike that we are serious about keeping our places to wheel. Thoughts?

toyota88 01-10-2012 08:17 AM

Damn....could you make it a weekend before or after? I have CDL training on the 25th.

73FJBUGGY 01-10-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyota88 (Post 13843658)
Damn....could you make it a weekend before or after? I have CDL training on the 25th.

That's the only weekend I could go. Sorry it doesn't work for you. Go the weekend after and still show your support!

73FJBUGGY 01-11-2012 07:22 AM

This is the day...Feb 25th...lets flood Durhamtown with a lot of trucks and show Mike that we support our local parks!

InstaGator 01-11-2012 04:23 PM

Won't make those dates, but I do want to viisit the place. What hotels and restraints are nearby?

toyota88 01-11-2012 05:28 PM

Any other dates that others will be available?

jduck 01-11-2012 07:24 PM

Is he closing it? He didnt say or act like anything was wrong 3 weeks ago when we were there..

73FJBUGGY 01-12-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jduck (Post 13852230)
Is he closing it? He didnt say or act like anything was wrong 3 weeks ago when we were there..

He is frustrated at losing money on the truck park. He would just open it up to all atvs and dirtbikes. So while you are trying to crawl a technical section, a kid on a dirtbike would be buzzing around you. Also, he would not put any more money into cutting more trails or cultivating the ones already there.

If Mike sees support from the Truck world, then he will support us and cater to what we want...it just that simple.

There are a lot of people that have never been to D Town and should check it out.

purplezuki 01-12-2012 10:57 AM

I dunno but I always heard the place was flat and was for dirt bikes/atvs/sxs anyway ??

I personally cannot stand having to ride alongside damn ATVs but will if the riding is good enough :D

We really need somewhere in Ga. to wheel though dammit.

73FJBUGGY 01-12-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplezuki (Post 13855111)
I dunno but I always heard the place was flat and was for dirt bikes/atvs/sxs anyway ??

I personally cannot stand having to ride alongside damn ATVs but will if the riding is good enough :D

We really need somewhere in Ga. to wheel though dammit.

That is completely false...Durhamtown is not flat, has natural rocks, and the truck section is only open to trucks and side by sides....for now. You have to come ride to see what it is really like. I have been there many times. They have a couple of rock climbs on boulder ridge that will challenge a buggy.

Come out Feb 25th and find out for yourself!

purplezuki 01-12-2012 03:41 PM

This is GOOD NEWS to hear indeed man,

You are the first person I have encounterd that has actually been there with a rig and got off the atv trails I guess.

Mortalis5509 01-12-2012 08:21 PM

I haven't been on over a year before they put some of the new stuff in on plan on going in a few weeks I hope. I live a little over an hour from there.

mdo817 01-12-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalis5509 (Post 13858048)
I haven't been on over a year before they put some of the new stuff in on plan on going in a few weeks I hope. I live a little over an hour from there.

Albany is way more than an hour. But yes Big Mike has done a good bit of work to make it better, he has a top notch operation at Dtown, complete with cabins and campers for rent, RV hook ups, tent sites, lodge with dinning facilities, herd he is opening a bar also. There are some rocks, some pretty good hill climbs, some mud :shaking: it's a place that has a lot of potential, if the rigs will show, he will keep throwing money at it and it will be better. He just needs to know that he will see return on his investment.

Mortalis5509 01-12-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdo817 (Post 13858451)
Albany is way more than an hour. But yes Big Mike has done a good bit of work to make it better, he has a top notch operation at Dtown, complete with cabins and campers for rent, RV hook ups, tent sites, lodge with dinning facilities, herd he is opening a bar also. There are some rocks, some pretty good hill climbs, some mud :shaking: it's a place that has a lot of potential, if the rigs will show, he will keep throwing money at it and it will be better. He just needs to know that he will see return on his investment.

You are right, from Albany it is more than an hour. I moved back up to Winder a month ago and haven't changed it on here. I had planed on going the first weekend on Feb and well just might do both.

I know a link to this thread has been posted on North GA Jeepers so there might be some love from some of us over there.

73FJBUGGY 01-13-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalis5509 (Post 13858611)
You are right, from Albany it is more than an hour. I moved back up to Winder a month ago and haven't changed it on here. I had planed on going the first weekend on Feb and well just might do both.

I know a link to this thread has been posted on North GA Jeepers so there might be some love from some of us over there.

That's good to hear! When the save Gulches ride happened, there was such a showing that Skip was inclined to keep the doors open. We will lose what we don't support. A huge crowd of trucks all on the same day sends a clear message.

bgredjeep 01-13-2012 03:46 PM

They were long known as a muddy trail riding park. I thought the same until I went in Sept. They have certainly got some rocks. Being about an hour from Augusta, just a bit more from the Atlanta area, its certainly worth a trip to check it out. If you haven't been, I'd try to connect with someone who has to find the trails you want to be on.

This whole area was wide open rocks (under some weeds and small trees). Find a line you want to run and hit it.
Tommy and... JT Rocks 2011 - YouTube

Bull JT Rocks 2011 raw - YouTube

Carey JT Rocks 2011 raw video - YouTube

Bryce Project 187 JT Rocks 2011 - YouTube

mcannon111 01-16-2012 07:34 PM

Mid carolina jeepers is coming this weekend i think.

Mr. Gutwrench 01-17-2012 05:53 AM

We're looking forward to being there. It will be interesting to see what they have done.

73FJBUGGY 01-17-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gutwrench (Post 13876770)
We're looking forward to being there. It will be interesting to see what they have done.

Good to hear! I hope everyone who is in the general region will come out Feb 25th and check out this park. OHV parks are like your teeth...ignore them...and they will go away :D

safish 01-22-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalis5509 (Post 13858611)

Always good to meet a fellow crawler. Give me a shout sometime! I'm also from Winder!! :-)

73FJBUGGY 01-22-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safish (Post 13902275)
Always good to meet a fellow crawler. Give me a shout sometime! I'm also from Winder!! :-)

Please come out on Feb 25th and help us support this park.

RenegadeStang 01-22-2012 05:15 PM

I went up there with the Low Country Mud Rats out of Savannah on MLK weekend. It was my 2nd time there and I had a blast! Stuff for everyone there from stockers to full-on crawlers.

bmanga 01-22-2012 07:32 PM

I was out there MLK weekend doing some shooting on the ranges. I had a very long conversation with both Mike M and Mike D about the park. Mike M was frustrated with all the money he has into the obstacle course and very few rigs that utilize it so he may "tone" it down a bit to "intice" the smaller built rigs a bit. I didn't get the impression they are ready to throw in the towel just yet. I was straight forward with them and gave them a lot of ideas to try and ways to market the park to certain wheeling groups. I do believe if we don't support the place the investment can be recouped then things may change for the worse.

I enjoy the park personally but on many different levels than with other parks we can still wheel at. Put it this way what other place can you go wheel, have nice warm decent meal in the lodge, sleep in a decent cabin or camping facilities with hot showers and then go to the range and blow of some rounds or pick up some motor oil, camera's etc at the pro shop..... Heck there's even fishing, skeet shooting and 6000+ acres to hunt on along with atv, utv and motox to rentals. We rented a rhino while out there and the boy had a blast. Something for all the family to do! :grinpimp:

This park has a lot more potential but as any good business they need to generate money from it to since it's a business. With that said they don't have problems supporting those who support them. Mantanzas club put on Wheelers for Wounded ride a few months back which I attended and duriing that ride DTown donated nearly $2000 to the cause along with raffle give away items etc. Mike D personally pulled a Ben from his pocket and donated it at the raffle/trophy ceremony. I won the most carnage award by the way. LOL!

Let's do our part and support them like they support our community. I will continue to support them.

justscoutin 01-22-2012 07:51 PM

post up an address and some links to the place, never heard of it that I know of. might have to try and make it out there.

bmanga 01-22-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justscoutin (Post 13903963)
post up an address and some links to the place, never heard of it that I know of. might have to try and make it out there.

Offroad Park Site:
http://www.durhamtownoffroad.com/

DTown Plantation Site:
http://www.durhamtown.com/index1.htm