Harlan: Black Mountain Offroad Adventure Area Q&A - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
Harlan: Black Mountain Offroad Adventure Area Q&A

I wanted to start this thread to help with any questions or future updates we have at the park.

Also we are working on putting in a few new trails this year.

New for 2013 mountain bikes welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Shoope1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 36943
Send a message via AIM to Skerb
When I called this week to ask about some campsites, they mentioned they are having a race there in april, do you know if they are doing XC or Downhill or what? Similar to windrock? I would love to bring the bike when I come in april if there will be something to ride.
Skerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Send a message via ICQ to Shoope1 Send a message via AIM to Shoope1 Send a message via Yahoo to Shoope1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerb View Post
When I called this week to ask about some campsites, they mentioned they are having a race there in april, do you know if they are doing XC or Downhill or what? Similar to windrock? I would love to bring the bike when I come in april if there will be something to ride.
We was considering both races. Right now this race maybe on hold. I need more help putting it on and its just a few months away. Bring the bike for sure whole park is open to mountain bikes.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 45977
What kind of trail maintenance do you have planned for the year?

When you say new trails, what do you have planned?
twentyfootdaredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
If we can get caught up from erosion control we have a few trails we may open. Me and Ken walked a trail last week that has some of the most potential than anything on the park besides lions den. We are gonna work with adjoining property owner to see if we can acquire a lease so we can expand.

As soon as a plan is in order for new trails I will post here like I use to in the past.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 199419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoope1 View Post
If we can get caught up from erosion control we have a few trails we may open. Me and Ken walked a trail last week that has some of the most potential than anything on the park besides lions den. We are gonna work with adjoining property owner to see if we can acquire a lease so we can expand.

As soon as a plan is in order for new trails I will post here like I use to in the past.
keep us posted!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 130031
I've got one...

The trail that runs behind Beach Creek Campground... this past fall we had a group and evidently we missed the J turn after the first few hundred yards onto the trail. None of us had ever run the trail nor been over that way and instead we ended up going up the series of hill climbs that followed the power lines up. We got towards the top and entered the woods and the road turned into a goat trail. Realizing we had missed something we back tracked. That series of hill climbs was awesome but obviously not part of the trail system. How badly were we trespassing? Obviously and admittedly lost but maybe there should be a chain, gate, something to keep people from heading up that way. It looked well traveled, and as said, was certainly a blast!

AlxJ64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 195801
Are mountain bikes and gas powered vehicles going to be "sharing" the same trails? Am I going to have to worry about getting a new hood ornament next time I'm out there?
Gotlime? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 165988
Curious about pictures of the mountain bike trails ...
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 36365
I remember seeing some mt. bike trails on the right across from pinball inbetween there and the road behind the pay station (evarts side). Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
AlxJ64,
call me tomorrow night and I will try and help with that question.

as for the mountain bike questions.

they can share trails but for the most part we are working on finding them some downhill mountain bike only stuff.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 26806
Send a message via AIM to heepr
I'm also interested in hearing more about the safety plan for the mountain bikers.

When will the new 4x4 trails be cut? It seems like the idea of new trails has been talk for a year or longer. Meanwhile other parks are cutting trails left and right. Harlan is still one of the prime wheeling destinations on the east coast, but it does need some new trails.

Also is the park board intentionally reaching out for other revenue streams (mtn bikes and ziplines) to make the park less dependent on wheelers? For a long time the board minutes were available to the public but now they are hidden so you have to wonder what's really going on.
heepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
Heepr,

We have set up a mountain bike committee to work on these particular issues.
If you have any input in regards to mountain bike safety please feel free to call me. I'd be glad to take opinions towards safety. As for trail cutting. Yes we need new trails. And we understand this. With the staff we have, he have to maintain roads first. And let me just tell you it has been very difficult winter the past few. Been unusually wet. We had a freak October snow storm. I promise you this tho. We will have new trail this year.

As for question about our minutes being posted. Well since I have been on park board we have not done this. But our meeting are in the Harlan daily enterprise every month and you can find them online.

As for the new adventures our park is looking into, well try managing a park of this scale. It takes money to operate. We are wanting to add cabins at some point. We are wanting to add rental side x sides. So yes we are wanting to add other opportunities. We are also working on expanding park.
However offroad is our number one concerns.

Hope I answered accordingly.
Like I said my number is in this post. Your welcome to call and discuss this further.

Ronnie Shoope

Old 03-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 26806
Send a message via AIM to heepr
Ronnie,

Thanks for what you said. I know you guys put a lot of work into the park and as a visitor it's easy to take that for granted. I love visiting the park and want to see it stay open for many years to come. I would happily pay more for a year pass especially if it meant a stronger focus on cutting new trails and maintaining others like the section above crawfords cry that washed out.

I'm not an expert of any kind but dedicated trails for the mtn bikers would seem the safest option for everybody. It's understandable that you guys have high expectations for the park and its ability to benefit the county. While doing that though please don't let the park forget its roots.

I'll check out the park minutes and will look forward to riding a new trail or two.
heepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
WE will have designated down hill trails for mountain bikers in the future. But tell me what trails on the park isnt wide enough for mountain bikes? As a matter of fact the same goes for hikers or bi standers. If a man has the balls to wanna ride up that mountain then he should have equal rights to the roads as you. Before you get upset, I want you to think who your questioning. I with a few others got this park started by shear sweat and hard work. I have never made a penny for the work I have put into this park. I still serve the park and
Harlan County. This park is huge! and We are growing, and offfroad will always be our routs. Thats where I came from and always will. I have found probably half the tough trails on the park for Rock Crawlers. I Have been hiking with ken and a few others on the park to find new trails. Are you willing to put your free time on the line and come help cut them open?

The reason I started this thread is for input and thank you for yours. I want to see our park and county grow. Did know we are working on find a place on the park for paint ball.. our park is adventure park.
like I said if you have any questions feel free to call me or ask here.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 36943
Send a message via AIM to Skerb
Quote:
WE will have designated down hill trails for mountain bikers in the future. But tell me what trails on the park isnt wide enough for mountain bikes? As a matter of fact the same goes for hikers or bi standers. If a man has the balls to wanna ride up that mountain then he should have equal rights to the roads as you. Before you get upset, I want you to think who your questioning. I with a few others got this park started by shear sweat and hard work. I have never made a penny for the work I have put into this park. I still serve the park and
Harlan County. This park is huge! and We are growing, and offfroad will always be our routs. Thats where I came from and always will. I have found probably half the tough trails on the park for Rock Crawlers. I Have been hiking with ken and a few others on the park to find new trails. Are you willing to put your free time on the line and come help cut them open?

The reason I started this thread is for input and thank you for yours. I want to see our park and county grow. Did know we are working on find a place on the park for paint ball.. our park is adventure park.

Its not that bikes cant ride 4wd trails, its that downhill bikes will be hauling ass and cant stop fast enough to avoid collision. If you want bikes to come up there you will need to have dedicated trails. I love what you have done with the place, keep up the good work!
Skerb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 231507
Quote:

My first post on here....

Ive been going to Black Mountain at least once a year (usually twice or more) since it first opened. I was in the record parade and all.

I understand the idea of all the new ideas, zip line, mtn bikes, paint ball.....but please do not forget where it all started. I will be back down later this month in a truck. But after my last ride there on a SxS, I can honestly say Im about worn on the place when it comes to ATV/SxS riding. Trails are gone that used to be there, and used to be on the map. Widowmaker, the Pucker trails, etc. Other trails are so worn out they just arnt fun on the SxS anymore. Id love to see more new trails long before money is spent on paint ball, cabins, more zip lines, mtn bike trails or whatever. I honestly cant see very many mountain bikers wanting to ride on the rough rock trails that the rest of us ride on, but Im not a bike rider so I might be off on that one. My good friend opened a indoor/outdoor paintball facility in Louisville, without much success. Theres alot of money in starting up a paintball operation, and then you gotta get people to show up! There are plenty of places to stay, not sure more cabins are really "needed" at this point, although some cabins actually up on the mountain to stay in would be kinda cool. And does the zip lines actually make any money? Of all the times Ive been down since they opened, I think Ive only seen one person on them. I cant say those things wont be success or a hit, but when I make the 4+ hour drive to Harlan County, Im there to go wheeling, not to do things I can do here close to home.

Now please know that Im not complaining, Im coming back! Im sure my "worn out" feeling will change after seeing the park at different pace than the SxS offers. Just make sure the thing that started it all, is still and always is the main focus of Black Mountain Adventure Area.

Last edited by Craig_C; 03-07-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Craig_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
thanks for your concerns.

and like I said we are working on DESIGNATED DOWNHILL TRAILS ONLY.

as for the pucker trails and widowmaker. I do believe these are on another property owners property. We are working with them to get more property. And we are fairly close to getting another 1500 acres. And if you say that we have been hearing this for awhile.. but property is very difficult to acquire. WE are for sure wanting to expand the trail system towards cumberland.
As for paint ball, we are gonna just start out having a place you bring your stuff and play. we have had lots of request. So start up cost would be very low.

Now your question about zipline. WE are doing very well with it when the weather is good. What you dont realize this is something bigger than just the park. The zipline doesnt not get in the way of any wheelers. and actually has created up to 18-20 jobs.

I do appreciate everyones concerns on the mountain bike stuff. I will take this to the committee meeting tuesday..
And I will take the rest of the concerns to our public meeting weds for the park.
please keep in mind everyone that is on the board is volunteering their time. Ken and Dallas spend upwards of 50-60 hours away of their time.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mayor of Flat Rock

Member # 15447
I appriciate all the folks (paid and un-paid) who work to help keep that place open. Its a great place to ride and I hope it's around for a very long time. If a zip line, paintball, mtn bikes and a frisbee golf course is what it takes to keep it open; I'm all for it.

Any plans for trail 45 reopening?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Hi Ronnie,

I seen where you mentioned volunteering time to come cut the trails. When I lived on the west coast, we had many clubs participate in trail cuttings. Not sure if it is the same way here, but if you guys would have me, I'd be down. Its about a 3 hour trek from where I live, so i would need to know in advance, but I'd be down to help clear out some stuff.

That trail that goes off into the wilderness, I think its Bob's playground or something, anything happening with it? It looks like it just ends. Its right off the main trail on the evarts side going up towards white tail crawl.

Also, the giant strip miner thing that is up by White Tail, whats the deal with that thing?

The never-ending project

An old Explorer with a few dents

Semper Fi
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
I think we were getting some scrap metal that old mines left behind.
Also not sure the trail you speak of.

thanks for your help. I will let you know when we decide to have a trail working weekend. I will set it up within the next two weeks.

Any input on where you have seen a place that would make a good trail.. chime in.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
p.s

I know they are working today on clearing a mountain bike trail. Its gonna be a flow trail that is around 2 miles +
also it only crosses trail 5 one time I think.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Harlan: Black Mountain Offroad Adventure Area Q&A

I'll look at the map I have in my truck. With a little work, I could see it being a tough awesome trail.

I really wish there were more trails going towards lions den/mason jar. To hit those, there is a lot of normal road/gravel travel. A couple more trails going that way to give riders something to hit to and from would be awesome. I dunno if there is room, but just tossing ideas out there.

The never-ending project

Semper Fi
Old 03-18-2013, 04:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
KY Mtn Crawler

Member # 9865
I think the reason their isnt more trails going towards lions den is the one big hollow between 1st and 2nd point is not on park property. Also I found an awesome rock trail bout a mile or so from lions den a few years ago. still to be open.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Quote:
I think the reason their isnt more trails going towards lions den is the one big hollow between 1st and 2nd point is not on park property. Also I found an awesome rock trail bout a mile or so from lions den a few years ago. still to be open.
ahhh, that makes sense. Sounds like that awesome rock trail needs a little attention to get it turned into an open trail

The never-ending project

Semper Fi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.