Windrock - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 202222
Posts: 49
Not taken in the wrong sense. Those two trails systems used existing Skid Trails and old Coal Mining Benches. There is not alot of wiggle room in several places along that trail system. And due to the elevation changes and destination goals tight switch backs were necessary. Especially when jumping from one bench to another in a short distance. I agree, the larger vehicles will probably find it challenging. There are probably a few trails that you favor that ATV/SxS riders might find too challenging for them. I was just curious to your thoughts on this. Thanks for the response. Rooster
__________________
Trail Maintenance Supervisor Coal Creek OHV Area
TrailSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
No problem. I'm sure some video's will pop up on YouTube of the new trails and i'll get a chance to see how they're coming along.

Hell, YouTube is pretty much how I figured out which trails i'd like to ride! It's always funny to see trails you ran a week ago that have video's from 3+ years old. My oh my, how they change.
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
Funny...speaking of....

Trail 49 Oliver Springs Tenn - YouTube

New Trail # 49 @ Windrock/ Coal Creek OHV Area - YouTube
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 202222
Posts: 49
Wish I had some YouTube footage when I scout a new trail. I have to rely on my GPS and Machete to find new trails. Hopefully I will be able to find some ground more suitable for you larger vehicles to enjoy. There will be more trails to come in the near future at Coal Creek. I can guarantee that fact.
__________________
Trail Maintenance Supervisor Coal Creek OHV Area
TrailSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #180 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSup View Post
Wish I had some YouTube footage when I scout a new trail. I have to rely on my GPS and Machete to find new trails. Hopefully I will be able to find some ground more suitable for you larger vehicles to enjoy. There will be more trails to come in the near future at Coal Creek. I can guarantee that fact.
You mean they don't have a "Cut A New Trail App." on these new fangled smart phones, yet?!

I'm not sure of any legal laws or restrictions, but if you need any help(not sure what I could provide) i'd be glad to help do whatever I could.
__________________
Where's the hardline?
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 202222
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBolton View Post
You mean they don't have a "Cut A New Trail App." on these new fangled smart phones, yet?!

I'm not sure of any legal laws or restrictions, but if you need any help(not sure what I could provide) i'd be glad to help do whatever I could.
Phone's don't work to good where I go. Most of the time I turn mine off so it don't drain the battery.

There are no Legal Laws or Restrictions. You guys want to get with me sometime and talk Trails then let me know. I would be glad to hear what you have to say about things. My goal is to make Coal Creek a destination for everyone to want to come to. From reading some of you all's comments it sounds like you do too.

I particularly enjoyed reading the comments about Trash on the mountain. It is a constant battle. We are a two man crew and try to do what we can but you know how that goes.
__________________
Trail Maintenance Supervisor Coal Creek OHV Area
TrailSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #182 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSup View Post
I particularly enjoyed reading the comments about Trash on the mountain. It is a constant battle. We are a two man crew and try to do what we can but you know how that goes.
I picked up a small trash bag full along Trail22 today. It appears Bud Light plastic bottles are the beverage of choice out there.
__________________
Where's the hardline?
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #183 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 128449
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 239
Rooster its great to see you on here reaching out to other groups besides the atvs and SXS for Coal Creek!
__________________
[url]www.tncrawlers.net[/url]
yellowjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Member # 179847
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep1 View Post
Rooster its great to see you on here reaching out to other groups besides the atvs and SXS for Coal Creek!
agreed! large appreciation!
scottal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
...thirdly appreciated!
__________________
Where's the hardline?
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 202222
Posts: 49
First off let me say, I didn't even know this site existed. Even tho I have a poster of a good looking lady in a crawler or something advertising Warn Winches.

I was doing some searches on the internet for Mine Sites and this site came up and I noticed someone posted something about Trail 49.

Coal Creek is an OHV Park. Whether you are ATV, SxS, 4-Wheel Truck or what ever. Me being a ATV/SxS person have learned that if you Give Respect you will Receive Respect.

Not all the trails I create are for everybody and there are reason's behind that. Trail 49 for example was mostly cut with Chainsaw and Man Power. Yes there was some machine work involved. But the trail is narrow in spots and not understanding what a 13 point turn is, I am assuming that larger vehicles will not find this trail their cup of tea.

Like I said early, I am open for anything you all have to say pertaining to trails at Coal Creek. Maybe sometime I will hitch a ride with one of you guys. I have been on most trails at Coal Creek including the North Side, but never have done Rail Trail, 39, 15, Rattle Rock Area.

Thanks for the Welcome to the Site.
__________________
Trail Maintenance Supervisor Coal Creek OHV Area
TrailSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #187 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 128449
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSup View Post
First off let me say, I didn't even know this site existed. Even tho I have a poster of a good looking lady in a crawler or something advertising Warn Winches.

I was doing some searches on the internet for Mine Sites and this site came up and I noticed someone posted something about Trail 49.

Coal Creek is an OHV Park. Whether you are ATV, SxS, 4-Wheel Truck or what ever. Me being a ATV/SxS person have learned that if you Give Respect you will Receive Respect.

Not all the trails I create are for everybody and there are reason's behind that. Trail 49 for example was mostly cut with Chainsaw and Man Power. Yes there was some machine work involved. But the trail is narrow in spots and not understanding what a 13 point turn is, I am assuming that larger vehicles will not find this trail their cup of tea.

Like I said early, I am open for anything you all have to say pertaining to trails at Coal Creek. Maybe sometime I will hitch a ride with one of you guys. I have been on most trails at Coal Creek including the North Side, but never have done Rail Trail, 39, 15, Rattle Rock Area.

Thanks for the Welcome to the Site.
Rooster, I am tincan on the Windrock Atv site, We spoke on the phone sometime ago. I was going to say a bunch of helpful stuff, but I'm tired of trying with windrock. You need to build more good trails for other people, End of story! You help out with one of the largest privately owned OHV in the country and you had no idea about the largest offroad website in the world? WTF! There is a whole other big group out there that love to wheel and have money to spend, but you all don't get that. I have bought 2 season passes to windrock every year since I can remember. NOT ANYMORE THOUGH. I am selling out of the sport because my back yard riding place, Windrock, that I give my money to every year does not care about us. The last good trail that was built up there was built by me and my friends 2 years ago! Windrock could be the best OHV in the South, Unfortantly it is Known as the worst!

Here is my for sale thread just in case you don't get it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...348&highlight=
__________________
[url]www.tncrawlers.net[/url]
yellowjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Member # 104679
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep1 View Post
Rooster, I am tincan on the Windrock Atv site, We spoke on the phone sometime ago. I was going to say a bunch of helpful stuff, but I'm tired of trying with windrock. You need to build more good trails for other people, End of story! You help out with one of the largest privately owned OHV in the country and you had no idea about the largest offroad website in the world? WTF! There is a whole other big group out there that love to wheel and have money to spend, but you all don't get that. I have bought 2 season passes to windrock every year since I can remember. NOT ANYMORE THOUGH. I am selling out of the sport because my back yard riding place, Windrock, that I give my money to every year does not care about us. The last good trail that was built up there was built by me and my friends 2 years ago! Windrock could be the best OHV in the South, Unfortantly it is Known as the worst!

Here is my for sale thread just in case you don't get it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...348&highlight=
Windrock DON'T get it!
__________________
[url]http://www.tncrawlers.net/[/url]
ROCKRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #189 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
I agree to a point, I wish there were more trails like 15, schoolbus, mule, Cadillac and Rail. However, there's no other place for me that's under 40 minutes away. Guess they kinda have me over a barrel. I just don't feel like traveling 2+hours for any of the other places.

Pretty sure that if Windrock wasn't there, i'd have alot more money in the back account.

Hopefully some positive things can come of this, I know it's easy to pick things apart sometimes.
__________________
Where's the hardline?
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 202222
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep1 View Post
Rooster, I am tincan on the Windrock Atv site, We spoke on the phone sometime ago. I was going to say a bunch of helpful stuff, but I'm tired of trying with windrock. You need to build more good trails for other people, End of story! ...................
Well that was short lived. Tincan, I will spare you the details of my job, but Trail building is not the only thing I am responsible for. We are a two man crew, and we take care of the Trails, Trail Maintenance, Getting the Trash off the Mountain and Parking Lot, Campground Maintenance, Bush Hoggin at Campground, Events Area thru out the year, Mowing, Event Preperation plus many many more hats. I personally have not been able to spend the amount of time I want to on the Mountain doing Trails and Trail Maintenance, but like many other people I have a Boss to answer to. Equally My Boss has many other things he has to do besides being over the OHV Park and most likely wishes he could be on the Mountain also.

Yes I admitted that I do not know the first thing about Jeeps/4x4 Larger Vehicles. The Reason I have not been on those trails I mentioned is because I do not have the Vehicle to take on them. Maybe I should just walk them.

Those that know me know the reason's I took this Job. Believe me it is not for the money. I drive 100 miles roundtrip every single day to get to work and I could have a job closer to home (Crossville) for about the same money without the driving hassles. But I have my reason's for doing this job.

I remember talking to you this past winter right after I started. The excitment has worn off of starting a new job and realizing that I was not gonna be on the Mountain working trails all the time. I didn;t know about all the other duties I was going to be doing when I talked to you.

You all might feel differently if you sit back and put into perspective what I have just said about what my job is really like and then expand that by 5

Enough said, Thanks and sorry you all feel the way you do.
__________________
Trail Maintenance Supervisor Coal Creek OHV Area

Last edited by TrailSup; 11-02-2011 at 02:54 AM.
TrailSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #191 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Member # 133009
Location: Memphis 10
Posts: 350
If you need help getting manpower together to build trails, I'm sure if you asked you would be surprised at the response. As long as folks had enough notice to be there, the turnout would be pretty good.

Just put markers out on the trail site in advance and tell the work crew to make the trail connect the dots
DirtRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #192 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Member # 120542
Location: East Tennessee, Dollywood
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSup View Post
Well that was short lived. Tincan, I will spare you the details of my job, but Trail building is not the only thing I am responsible for. We are a two man crew, and we take care of the Trails, Trail Maintenance, Getting the Trash off the Mountain and Parking Lot, Campground Maintenance, Bush Hoggin at Campground, Events Area thru out the year, Mowing, Event Preperation plus many many more hats. I personally have not been able to spend the amount of time I want to on the Mountain doing Trails and Trail Maintenance, but like many other people I have a Boss to answer to. Equally My Boss has many other things he has to do besides being over the OHV Park and most likely wishes he could be on the Mountain also.

Yes I admitted that I do not know the first thing about Jeeps/4x4 Larger Vehicles. The Reason I have not been on those trails I mentioned is because I do not have the Vehicle to take on them. Maybe I should just walk them.

Those that know me know the reason's I took this Job. Believe me it is not for the money. I drive 100 miles roundtrip every single day to get to work and I could have a job closer to home (Crossville) for about the same money without the driving hassles. But I have my reason's for doing this job.

I remember talking to you this past winter right after I started. The excitment has worn off of starting a new job and realizing that I was not gonna be on the Mountain working trails all the time. I didn;t know about all the other duties I was going to be doing when I talked to you.

You all might feel differently if you sit back and put into perspective what I have just said about what my job is really like and then expand that by 5

Enough said, Thanks and sorry you all feel the way you do.
Don't shoot the messenger boys, Rooster is doing more than I've ever seen anybody do at windrock for our offroad community.
bcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #193 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Member # 179847
Posts: 272
Rooster, me an my buddies ride windrock bout twice a month or more. We are the TN MTN JUNKIES. We would love for you to hop in with one of us so we can show you what the jeep/buggy guys are lookin for! If you need help makin trails... then you got help... just needa ask is all. We all live in oliver springs or lenoir city area so were close. Were all goin be at the ecorrs race sat with Tn mtn junkie shirts on so look us up
scottal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #194 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
Do I get a free TMJ shirt if I show up and say "I know Scottal"?
__________________
Where's the hardline?
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered User
 
toybanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Member # 165352
Location: Oliver Springs, TN
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep1 View Post
Rooster, I am tincan on the Windrock Atv site, We spoke on the phone sometime ago. I was going to say a bunch of helpful stuff, but I'm tired of trying with windrock. You need to build more good trails for other people, End of story! You help out with one of the largest privately owned OHV in the country and you had no idea about the largest offroad website in the world? WTF! There is a whole other big group out there that love to wheel and have money to spend, but you all don't get that. I have bought 2 season passes to windrock every year since I can remember. NOT ANYMORE THOUGH. I am selling out of the sport because my back yard riding place, Windrock, that I give my money to every year does not care about us. The last good trail that was built up there was built by me and my friends 2 years ago! Windrock could be the best OHV in the South, Unfortantly it is Known as the worst!

Here is my for sale thread just in case you don't get it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...348&highlight=
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Im sellin my junk cause I can't get my way...F'n CRYBABY!
__________________
TN MTN JUNKIES ORC
Low Ridin' Back Halfed CJ7, 5.3, Linked, Tons, and 44's
toybanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #196 (permalink)
Registered User
 
toybanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Member # 165352
Location: Oliver Springs, TN
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBolton View Post
Do I get a free TMJ shirt if I show up and say "I know Scottal"?
Nope, they are double if you mention his name....
__________________
TN MTN JUNKIES ORC
Low Ridin' Back Halfed CJ7, 5.3, Linked, Tons, and 44's
toybanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jknight76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Member # 174252
Location: Ringgold, GA
Posts: 43
Windrock First Timer.

For what it's worth. I finally got my sammy goin'. Borrowed a truck from one and borrowed a trailer from another guy, took 2 days vacation and 1 sick day (don't tell 'em I wasn't sick), spent over 150 bucks and road for 6 hours that's it 6 hours! The experience was priceless! Windrock is awesome!
jknight76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 128449
Location: Knoxville TN
Posts: 239
Rooster I don't blame you, and that probably came off the wrong way. I know you have alot on your plate and you are doing alot more then most. I just get so fired up about that place cause it could be so much more. But lets be honest. How many new trails has Coal Creek opened up for the sxs and atvs in the last year? Now how many for 4x4s? Yes I know that most of the trails are open to all OHV. Problem is everytime a trail starts to get broke in the atv guys complain and gets graded out. Coal Creek is one of the top sxs and atv places to ride in the east and it would stay that way without ever opening up another trail for them! I'm just wondering why they can't devote a little more effort to other things. And the effort would be so small. Just have to tell people where a trial can be cut and it would be cut.

Yeah you can call me a cry baby when it comes to this subject. You ride the same trails weekend after weekend year after year it gets old. And yes I'm tired of doing the same old thing, not worth it anymore. But let me ask you this, Do you not get a little bit aggrevated that almost every other OHV as 10x the trails and challenges of windrock but are all under a 1000 acres. How many acres does Windrock have?
__________________
[url]www.tncrawlers.net[/url]
yellowjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #199 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151579
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by toybanger View Post
Nope, they are double if you mention his name....


Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjeep1 View Post
Problem is everytime a trail starts to get broke in the atv guys complain and gets graded out.
I rode with some guys from Atomic that said this happened to the end part of Trail 21. Said it used to have a nasty hill climb/ledge. This was a guy on 60's and 43's sayin' this. We ran the trail and he showed me where they 'dozed it up to make it more passable.
__________________
Where's the hardline?
TonyBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #200 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Member # 202222
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBolton View Post




I rode with some guys from Atomic that said this happened to the end part of Trail 21. Said it used to have a nasty hill climb/ledge. This was a guy on 60's and 43's sayin' this. We ran the trail and he showed me where they 'dozed it up to make it more passable.
So, how long ago was this?
__________________
Trail Maintenance Supervisor Coal Creek OHV Area
TrailSup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.