wheeling in Big Bear - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southern California
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 174088
wheeling in Big Bear

Hey guys I live in Vegas and want to plan a trip to Big Bear and hopefully do a little bit of wheeling. I've got a LJ Rubi on 37s, but some of the guys going with me are wheeling TJs with 33s and open diffs. What trails do you guys recommend? (prefer something nice and scenic) Also where is the best place to stay and most importantly best place to go drink beer.

Will be going there in mid Oct - early Nov
CTDJeeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 190921
I was wheelin there a couple weeks ago.. Hit the John Bull trail, some technical climbs up waterfalls but definately doable. I've ran it both directions on 31's with no problems. Stay at Juniper Flats, great campground with lots of room and even has a pit toilet. Plenty of scenic trails in Holcomb valley.
Underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
You'll probably be fine on any trail there. Open rigs may need a strap on John Bull, but can get through.

Stop at the Discovery Center for a map and Adventure Pass.

Chad's Place is always busy, there are a couple of other bars in the Village as well.

Are you wanting to camp or stay in a hotel?
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 174088
I'm thinking for the first part of the trip our wives/gfs are going to be with us so we would be leaning towards a hotel or even a rental house/cabin, then once the girls leave we might camp for a few nights. I will most likely be pulling my 40' hauler so I'd need somewhere kind of big to park that.

When does it normally start snowing there?

Any big things to watch out for around Big Bear? Like certain hotels/restuarants to avoid.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 134189
A great all day run would be to start in Lake Arrowhead on Hook Creek road and run up 3n34 Dishpan Springs over to 3n16 to Holcomb Creek and then drive up to John Bull. You could also loop back up 3n16 and run 2no6 back into 3n93 after you run 3n93 which is holcomb creek.We ran it with guys with 33's yesterday and they did fine.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 174088
I ended up not being able to go to Big Bear last fall, but plan on heading out there next week (Oct 17-21). I'll be with the same group. (LJ RUBI on 37s, Built 4Runner on 35s, and JKU RUBI on 35s, all locked front/rear)

Any more insight on places to go/camp?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 144152
ocktoberfest is going on every saturday of october starting on the 13th if your looking for beer....
sandaddik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 218248
Gold mountain is a fun trail
Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50177
You guys will be fine on anything in big bear. Deep creek/dishpan springs, holecom creek, john bull, and gold mountain would be the good stuff.

If you still plan on taking a 40' hauler you need to plan your route up the mountain carefully. Unfortunatly it means you would not be able to take the shortest route from vegas. I can't give great advice on the front side (LA side) but I would not want to drag a 40'er up the 18 out of lucern, it would be borderline impossibe and if it is possible it would not be fun.

www.MayhemMetalWorks.com

my buggy build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...e33fc&t=488938
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
SIDEWINDERS

Member # 100326
As am4x4 said in his post, hwy 18 out of Lucerne Valley is the shortest way up the hill, but I wouldn't recommend pulling a 40' hauler up that grade.. I used to pull my 32' toy hauler up the hill, with no problems, when I lived in Big Bear, but you can't stop on the turns or you may not get started again.. Very steep turns..
brewbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50177
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbugs View Post
As am4x4 said in his post, hwy 18 out of Lucerne Valley is the shortest way up the hill, but I wouldn't recommend pulling a 40' hauler up that grade.. I used to pull my 32' toy hauler up the hill, with no problems, when I lived in Big Bear, but you can't stop on the turns or you may not get started again.. Very steep turns..
He is serious, the switchbacks are crazy tight and steep. My old 01 chevy 2500 with the 6.0 would barely pull my sami on an 18' trailer up it. The second time I made the trip up there I unplugged the front axle actuator and put it in low range.

www.MayhemMetalWorks.com

my buggy build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...e33fc&t=488938
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 46112
Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
He is serious, the switchbacks are crazy tight and steep. My old 01 chevy 2500 with the 6.0 would barely pull my sami on an 18' trailer up it. The second time I made the trip up there I unplugged the front axle actuator and put it in low range.
I had serious trouble pulling my XJ up that with my 09 silverado. I was in both lanes on the switchbacks, and on the way down I toasted my brakes even with a brake controller.

Im sticking with the 210/330 route from now on.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 174088
Thanks for all the info guys. As far as HWY 18 goes; I sold my 40' hauler so I'll be dragging my LJ up there on a 20' car hauler. My tow rig is an 05 Cummins Ram 4x4 with the manual NV5600 so I should be fine. Sounds like a pretty crazy road though. Is the Oktoberfest in Big Bear a pretty good time?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
Oktoberfest is a good time, for sure, & Loveshackled is working there, to boot. If you have troubles finding parking, you can drop the trailer at my place in Big Bear City.

I like Murray's best to drink at (& great bar food) & Thelma's for grub.

Running up Gold Mountain & then up John Bull is a comfortable day ride on a busy weekend & I'd love to tag along. Gee. Never said that to a Jeeper before...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
loveshackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 174088
Hey it looks like we are arriving in Big Bear Thursday afternoon. We are still looking for a rental cabin. Anyone know of any good places?

To loveshackle -- would you want to join us for a ride on Friday or Saturday? None of us have ever been there, so having a local plus another rig to ride with would be nice.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
I use Big Bear Vacations for weekend rentals, but there are lots of options.

Absolutely along for a ride. I'm new to the area, but been out a couple times. Friday is better for us so Loveshackled can go.

Check out our blog. We've bought a trimaran and are headed toward the Panama Canal and beyond this fall. www.losemynumberblog.com
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 186901
Cleghorn to 2N17X to Dishpan Springs to Holcomb Creek to John Bull and end with Gold Mountain. Me and a few buddies did this run in a couple of jeeps and it took us 7hrs, but it was fun.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 99927
Thursday-Friday this week?
kota4bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
Sorry. It was last weekend. Guys came up from Vegas & we ran Gold Mountain and John Bull. A good time was had. Although I couldn't go, word is they ran John Bull again on Saturday, albeit without the brand new Jeep on 33s with no lockers. Gotta say he did a Hell of a job on Friday, although I'll bet he left a good portion of his clutch on the trail...

Enjoyed it, Gents. Anytime.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ocean bound

Member # 9925
Kota, nothing planned, although the FSB crew is trying for something.

I blew a rear heim on the Toy, but you know the invite is always open. We'll be up & running in no time.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 174088
Justin,

Thanks for going wheeling with us and showing us around Big Bear. We had a great time. I think Taylor is already planning axle upgrades to D44s with gears, lockers, and 37s. Here's some highlight pics from the trip. Got a couple of good ones of your Toy. BTW we ran into the Poison Spyder Crew on Saturday Afternoon on John Bull. They had the Daddy Longlegs LJ out there; SUPER CLEAN RIG!