Devils Canyon 24 March 2012 - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southern California
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #176 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jsmith7364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126796
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegyver1 View Post
Don't get your panties in a bunch
Here ya' babies

Down Hill

Part One
http://youtu.be/z6YheuRHzfU

Part Two
http://youtu.be/ocf2RzJ4aSk

Bottoms Up
http://youtu.be/IZT1Yex4G9A
Mike, Can you send me the embedded link for these three? I want to add them to our website.

Thanks
Joe
__________________
At some point while using Jeep speak you will here a loud @#$PLOP$#@. That was your head being pulled out of your ass. Now clean the shit out of yours ears and listen.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #177 (permalink)
Rock God
 
mikegyver1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Member # 107241
Location: Ramona, CA
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith7364 View Post
Mike, Can you send me the embedded link for these three? I want to add them to our website.

Thanks
Joe
Sent to your email
__________________
BOMTEC #4476 Race Support
Build thread
/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/1050315-project-ang-er.html
mikegyver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #178 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tjmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24314
Location: Not For Public surveys
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegyver1 View Post
Did you guys break on your way out?

Yea front dana 30 ring gear.
tjmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #179 (permalink)
Rock God
 
mikegyver1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Member # 107241
Location: Ramona, CA
Posts: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmark View Post
Yea front dana 30 ring gear.
How did you get out? Don't remember seeing you guys at the end of the trail.
__________________
BOMTEC #4476 Race Support
Build thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050315
mikegyver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tjmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member # 24314
Location: Not For Public surveys
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegyver1 View Post
How did you get out? Don't remember seeing you guys at the end of the trail.
It did not really slow us down much.
tjmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #181 (permalink)
Newbie
 
RockJock'd YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member # 146774
Location: San Diego
Posts: 98
PICs













and some minor damage...
RockJock'd YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139411
Posts: 134
so is this trail opened to everyone now or is it on a permit basis, i was there today i think i found the entrance to the canyon hiked around for a bit looks pretty challenging i saw some tracks going down no signage at all though saying no tresspassing . on my way back to the freeway i saw some bp agents i asked them about the trail being opened they were not sure at all??????
baja dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #183 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Jeepman14wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46071
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,110
Permit only....
__________________
WANTED 40" Stickys for17" wheel
Lucky 7 Racing
Jeepman14wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #184 (permalink)
ROCPUNK
 
Hotpeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 150259
Location: San Diego
Posts: 433
Blog Entries: 1
Devils Canyon 24 March 2012

Cleaning out the jeep today. I found Doc Brady's knife. I don't have his info.

Pm me if you do and I will give you my number
Hotpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 96466
Location: Houston via San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja dan View Post
so is this trail opened to everyone now or is it on a permit basis, i was there today i think i found the entrance to the canyon hiked around for a bit looks pretty challenging i saw some tracks going down no signage at all though saying no tresspassing . on my way back to the freeway i saw some bp agents i asked them about the trail being opened they were not sure at all??????
No signs telling you about Big Horn Sheep Humping?
__________________
tell me how you really feel hahaha
JaysinDesignz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #186 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
miguelitojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 73093
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinDesignz View Post
No signs telling you about Big Horn Sheep Humping?
There were signs, a lot of them actually on the road to the trail.

Forgot to snap a pic, but said something about endangered wildlife etc.

You would probably need to ask a Ranger, BP probably has no clue.
__________________
Bom-Tec Racing #4476
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #187 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22023
Location: San Diego Area
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by britain View Post
Looks like fun. Here's the sign off sheet from the first meeting at the BLM on the closure. Geared 4 fun was instrumental in the the start on getting this trail opened. Imagine a trail that was reopened.....Thanks to all who pushed to get this trail opened!
FIVE Friggin years since we sat down with BLM in El Centro that day.
__________________
04 Dodge 2500
03 Rubicon Heep
85 X Cab
10 Rzr
Bo Neece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #188 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Jeepman14wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Member # 46071
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,110
I am ready to go again....
__________________
WANTED 40" Stickys for17" wheel
Lucky 7 Racing
Jeepman14wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #189 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jsmith7364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126796
Posts: 988
Well I wish I could say that I am ready to go again.

Broke the right outer shaft and the rear Detroit while in Moab. So I have a few things to fix.

Whats the cheapest you will go on your 8.8 rear? It would give me a spool and extra shafts.
__________________
At some point while using Jeep speak you will here a loud @#$PLOP$#@. That was your head being pulled out of your ass. Now clean the shit out of yours ears and listen.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #190 (permalink)
Non-Lemming
 
SanDiegoCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 840
Location: Ramona, SoCal
Posts: 16,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith7364 View Post
Well I wish I could say that I am ready to go again.

Broke the right outer shaft and the rear Detroit while in Moab. So I have a few things to fix.

Whats the cheapest you will go on your 8.8 rear? It would give me a spool and extra shafts.
Joe, the way you drive with that V8 you'll break the 8.8 as well. Just bite the bullet and get a GM corp. 14 bolt and put dually hubs on it.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 04-09-2012 at 12:49 PM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #191 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jsmith7364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126796
Posts: 988
Well I don't think that I have run out of 8.8 room yet. I am not heavy on the skinny pedal and when the detroit broke, I was in shock. I was just trying to back out of the space that I broke the front outer shaft.

The front, when you look at it appears to have been cracked previously. Too much color difference and old looking on the inside of where it cracked.

But, have the super 88 kit shafts in the rear bring a new light to trying to find shafts when you are in immediate need.

I broke the front, tried to back out and the rear went, we thought it was a shaft in the rear. When I pulled it all out, it was not the shaft, yet I only have power on one side. Spoke to the Eaton guys and I need to pull it apart and order the parts.

I wouldn't mind going with 1 tons but then it won't fit in my 5th wheel.

Right now I have about 2" on each side, maybe a little more. My WMS is 56" So 58" is as wide as I can go. So I would have to modify a 1 ton to get it to work. I don't think that is feasible at the moment. I have looked at just building one. Using the ruffstuff 9" housing. But that will be pricy in the end.

I am probably going to just install my chevy outer knuckles and put the high steer arms on and order a set of RCV's. They are guaranteed for life up to 40" tires.
__________________
At some point while using Jeep speak you will here a loud @#$PLOP$#@. That was your head being pulled out of your ass. Now clean the shit out of yours ears and listen.

Last edited by jsmith7364; 04-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #192 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
miguelitojeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Member # 73093
Location: San Luis Obispo
Posts: 3,199
14 bolt? Upgrade that motor to a 4cyl, that'll fix your problems
__________________
Bom-Tec Racing #4476
miguelitojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #193 (permalink)
Non-Lemming
 
SanDiegoCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 840
Location: Ramona, SoCal
Posts: 16,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith7364 View Post
Well I don't think that I have run out of 8.8 room yet. I am not heavy on the skinny pedal and when the detroit broke, I was in shock. I was just trying to back out of the space that I broke the front outer shaft.

The front, when you look at it appears to have been cracked previously. Too much color difference and old looking on the inside of where it cracked.

But, have the super 88 kit shafts in the rear bring a new light to trying to find shafts when you are in immediate need.

I broke the front, tried to back out and the rear went, we thought it was a shaft in the rear. When I pulled it all out, it was not the shaft, yet I only have power on one side. Spoke to the Eaton guys and I need to pull it apart and order the parts.

I wouldn't mind going with 1 tons but then it won't fit in my 5th wheel.

Right now I have about 2" on each side, maybe a little more. My WMS is 56" So 58" is as wide as I can go. So I would have to modify a 1 ton to get it to work. I don't think that is feasible at the moment. I have looked at just building one. Using the ruffstuff 9" housing. But that will be pricy in the end.

I am probably going to just install my chevy outer knuckles and put the high steer arms on and order a set of RCV's. They are guaranteed for life up to 40" tires.
Joe, you can get 5x5.5 hubs for a D60 front and 5x5.5 dually hubs for the
14 bolt rear. That way you can use your existing wheels/tires and just get
a cheap junkyard set of "rollers" to get it into the 5th wheel.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #194 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jsmith7364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126796
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Joe, you can get 5x5.5 hubs for a D60 front and 5x5.5 dually hubs for the
14 bolt rear. That way you can use your existing wheels/tires and just get
a cheap junkyard set of "rollers" to get it into the 5th wheel.
It will not fit with any stock D60. I wish it would, but it won't. I have researched every D60 WMS chart that I could. It is a no go.

You seem to think that it is a height issue when it is a width issue.
__________________
At some point while using Jeep speak you will here a loud @#$PLOP$#@. That was your head being pulled out of your ass. Now clean the shit out of yours ears and listen.

Last edited by jsmith7364; 04-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #195 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 96466
Location: Houston via San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,751
I have an extra 8.8 I'll sell for $250.
__________________
tell me how you really feel hahaha
JaysinDesignz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #196 (permalink)
Non-Lemming
 
SanDiegoCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 840
Location: Ramona, SoCal
Posts: 16,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith7364 View Post
It will not fit with any stock D60. I wish it would, but it won't. I have researched every D60 WMS chart that I could. It is a no go.

You seem to think that it is a height issue when it is a width issue.
I know it's a width issue. You'll have to narrow one side of a D60 for the front.
We've talked about this before. Let's face it Joe, the way your rig is going you'll
be on "40's" before long and you'll need 1 ton axles.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #197 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jsmith7364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126796
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinDesignz View Post
I have an extra 8.8 I'll sell for $250.
I doubt your 8.8 has the Superior Super 88 kit installed. But if it does, I will take the whole thing for $250.
__________________
At some point while using Jeep speak you will here a loud @#$PLOP$#@. That was your head being pulled out of your ass. Now clean the shit out of yours ears and listen.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #198 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
jsmith7364's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Member # 126796
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I know it's a width issue. You'll have to narrow one side of a D60 for the front.
We've talked about this before. Let's face it Joe, the way your rig is going you'll
be on "40's" before long and you'll need 1 ton axles.
Well my other problem seems to keep me from doing this. I have to have the axle pinion in a very specific position or my front drivehaft will take out the tranny. I need 19" or less from the center of the pinion to the short side WMS. Anything longer and it won't work.


So I would have to do more than just shorten the long side. I would have to shorten the short side as well and then move to 40" tires so as not to hang up on everything.

One of the options is to build a 9" that will work and be narrow. But that is pricy, doing the same thing with a D60 is just as pricy. Actually about 400 cheaper. And a D60 does;t have a second pinion support with bearing like a 9" does.

It's all about the money.
__________________
At some point while using Jeep speak you will here a loud @#$PLOP$#@. That was your head being pulled out of your ass. Now clean the shit out of yours ears and listen.

Last edited by jsmith7364; 04-09-2012 at 02:30 PM.
jsmith7364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #199 (permalink)
Non-Lemming
 
SanDiegoCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Member # 840
Location: Ramona, SoCal
Posts: 16,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith7364 View Post
Well my other problem seems to keep me from doing this. I have to have the axle pinion in a very specific position or my front drivehaft will take out the tranny. I need 19" or less from the center of the pinion to the short side WMS. Anything longer and it won't work.


So I would have to do more than just shorten the long side. I would have to shorten the short side as well and then move to 40" tires so as not to hang up on everything.

One of the options is to build a 9" that will work and be narrow. But that is pricy, doing the same thing with a D60 is just as pricy. Actually about 400 cheaper. And a D60 does;t have a second pinion support with bearing like a 9" does.

It's all about the money.
Yup, both front options are $$$$, but that's what it's going to take to hold up to 40's.
The good part though is that the 14 bolt is pretty cheap and stupid strong.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #200 (permalink)
Rock God
 
mikegyver1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Member # 107241
Location: Ramona, CA
Posts: 1,852
Hey Joe, I can fix your 5th wheel and get ur jeep to fit with full width axles
:sawsall:
__________________
BOMTEC #4476 Race Support
Build thread
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1050315
mikegyver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.