High Desert Roundup 2012 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southern California
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 141804
High Desert Roundup 2012

Fresh off the Press from Cal4wheel,

Hi Desert Round-Up has been canceled due to lack of a chair for the event. More info coming soon.
iparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 213554
HDR back on?

Looks like the message is gone from the CA4WDC site. They just erased the cancelation message w/o explanation.
982500h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 19875
Send a message via AIM to bakerhab2003
The 41st Annual Hi Desert Round Up Presented by the South District

The 41st Annual Hi Desert Round Up Presented by the South District

The CA4WDC South District Board members are pleased to announce that Hi Desert Round Up 2012 is on and the co-chairs have been selected.

Terry Work a member of Point Mugu 4 WD Club and Helen Baker a member of the Waywegos and Women for California have stepped forward to chair this year's Hi Desert Round Up.

The 41st. Hi Desert Round Up will be held on Memorial Day Weekend, May 25-27, 2012, at Anderson Dry Lake in the Johnson Valley OHV area.

HDR 2012 will be a recognition of it's humble beginnings with a good times and fun and games. There will be the usual trail rides, adult and kids games and the raffle. And perhaps there will be some of the old games coming back.

As it was 40 plus years ago, the Hi Desert Round Up was a gathering of groups of 4 wheel drive enthusiasts that just wanted to get out to the desert and enjoy themselves. Some just wanted to sit around and enjoy the camaraderie of their friends and fellow 4 wheelers, some wanted to explore the surrounding land either in a group or by themselves and some even challenged each other to test their vehicle and their driving skill in what became the games at the modern day round up. There was no pressure to do anything but to show up and have a good time.

Those interested in the terrain and the history of the Johnson Valley OHV Area and specifically the west side trails around Anderson Dry Lake, can go out and enjoy the area. They can sit around the campfire and tell stories, or have potlucks, or go off to inspect the various mines, drive the trails in the hills and canyons, Bull Frog, Bob Cat, U Joint Canyon, Cake Walk, Fry Mountain or the Hammer trails play games, Wet Lap, Teeter Totter or just camp and have a casual weekend of family 4 wheeling. They can have fun! Hi Desert Round Up has something for everyone.

Your South District officers, urge you to get out and enjoy your public lands and they hope that you will do it with them and their friends on May 25, 26 & 27, 2012, Memorial Day weekend in Johnson Valley at Anderson Dry Lake. Anderson Dry Lake is located on Camp Rock Road, about 10 miles north of Highway 247. Camp Rock Road is 5 miles east of the town of Lucerne Valley. Look for the CA4WDC signs.

There won't be a chuck wagon this year, so bring your own grub. The nearest stores and restaurants are in Lucerne Valley, 15 miles away.

And so, that is what this years Hi Desert Round Up is all about. Come out, enjoy the desert, mix and mingle with old friends and fellow four wheelers, meet some new folks, but most of all enjoy our public lands.

Y'all come and bring the kids!

For information contact:
Terry Work at tpwork@yahoo.com
Helen Baker at helenwheels422@aol.com
Linda Wucherpfennig at v11guzzigal@hotmail.com
Jesse May at jemay.xj@gamil.com

Registration for Hi Desert Round Up is available on line at www.cal4wheel.com/events/

###

Last edited by bakerhab2003; 03-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.
bakerhab2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19875
Send a message via AIM to bakerhab2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 982500h View Post
Looks like the message is gone from the CA4WDC site. They just erased the cancelation message w/o explanation.
Someone jumped the gun. It's on!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 20696
So...got this E-mail Today.... CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!

I regret to announce that the Cal4Wheel Association Board of Directors voted last night, 3/12/2012 to not ratify the South District Officer elected High Desert Roundup (HDR) 2012 Co-Chairs Terry Work and Helen Baker.

The following people were identified on the conference call: President Mark Cave, North District Vice President Frank Funk, North District Membership Chairman Scott Rasmussen, North District Secretary Treasurer Jeff Blewett, Central District Vice President Steve Egbert, Central District Membership Chairman Phil Moreno, Central District Secretary Treasurer Robert Escalera, South District Vice President Harry Baker, South District Membership Chairman Jesse May, South District Secretary Treasurer Linda Wucherpfennig, North Natural Resource Consultant Jim Bramham, South Natural Resource Consultant John Stewart, In Gear Editor/Webmaster Suzy Johnson, Steve Morris, Val Henry
The following actions took place:
Motion 1 made by Linda Wucherpfennig, South District Secretary Treasurer, seconded by Jesse May, South District Membership Chairman.
I move to ratify Terry Work and Helen Baker as Co-chairmans of Hi Desert Round Up 2012.
A roll call vote was taken, the motion failed, by a margin of 3 YES to 6 NO. Terry Work and Helen Baker were not ratified. The roll call vote count is as follows:
North District Vice President Frank Funk NO
North District Membership Chairman Scott Rasmussen NO
North District Secretary Treasurer Jeff Blewett NO
Central District Vice President Steve Egbert NO
Central District Membership Chairman Phil Moreno NO
Central District Secretary Treasurer Robert Escalara NO
South District Vice President Harry Baker YES
South District Membership Chairman Jesse May YES
South District Secretary Treasurer Linda Wucherpfennig YES
Motion 2 made by Val Henry and seconded by Jeff Blewett, North District Secretary Treasurer
I move to ratify Steve Egbert as Chairman of Hi Desert Round Up 2012.
A roll call vote was taken, the motion passed, by a margin of 5 YES to 3 NO. Steve Egbert was ratified. The roll call vote count is as follows:
North District Vice President Frank Funk DID NOT RESPOND
North District Membership Chairman Scott Rasmussen YES
North District Secretary Treasurer Jeff Blewett YES
Central District Vice President Steve Egbert YES
Central District Membership Chairman Phil Moreno YES
Central District Secretary Treasurer Robert Escalera YES
South District Vice President Harry Baker NO
South District Membership Chairman Jesse May NO
South District Secretary Treasurer Linda Wucherpfennig - NO

Sincerest Regards,

Linda Wucherpfennig
Cal4Wheel Association
South District Secretary-Treasurer
Race Prep Racing - #4474 Thanks to Falken Tire, Warn Winch, Race Prep Hobbies, and our Pit Crew!
RichieOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 106179
CA4WDC has lost control. Not sure of the South agenda. This should have been taken care of before it was announced that it was cancelled. This is why I left the board.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 126796
Obviously the leadership as a whole did not approve of the first two people to step forward to chair the event. But in that same report they did vote and agree for the second person. So it looks like the event is on.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 126796
Too many clubs and groups are having the same problems. 5% of the group is doing 95% of the work. These people that do volunteer get burned out and sometimes it affect their attitude towards others or how they deal with others. Sometimes they just quit.

We need fresh blood in all of these organizations. Mine as well. We just had our most successful event in 50 years. But it was not without pain, arguments, or problems. It takes a lot of effort to put on any event.

Add to this that we are all getting older and jaded with a strong sense of "I am right".

Cal4Wheel, TDS, SD4Wheelers, and all the rest really need fresh blood and help.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 213554
Whatever is going on in CA4WDC is not goood. Is it time to ditch Cal 4-wheel and head to BlueRibbon Coalition?
982500h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 95253
Looks like a vote of no confidence.
chevyjepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 140856
Seems like a difference of personalities It would only make sense to me that if the round-up is in the "southern district" it should be hosted by said district. Each district could be responsible for events within their "geographical" jurisdiction. We say we need new blood or more members or whatever but if we can't come together and make something happen on a state or regional level, how the hell are we going to save Johnson Valley, our back yard, on the National level?

Just sayin...

Mike
lamar95x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 20696
I'm pretty much done with Cal4Wheel at this point. I've been a member for over a decade but what's the point? We are on the brink of the most serious OHV land grad in History and Cal4Wheel isn't doing squat. They are not effectively communicating with their membership and there is infighting abound. They voted down two south district individuals who have been involved in 4wd for longer than I can remember only to replace them with people from the central district? Really? They are quickly working their way to a Southern California Association of 4wd Clubs. Dollars are hard to come by these days, I'd rather put them towards something I can believe in.
Race Prep Racing - #4474 Thanks to Falken Tire, Warn Winch, Race Prep Hobbies, and our Pit Crew!
RichieOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 73399
Hi everyone,

I am HDR Chairman with a co-chair from each district including the south. Last Wed when HDR was anounced as being canceled I said I would chair the event to keep it going. Not having a chairman was the issue so when I voluntered the problem was solved. Only after I volunteered did two others step up. The next day we filed for the permit which had not been previously done. My goal is to bring forward a traditional HDR event that is fun for everyone.
steveyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 73399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith7364 View Post
Obviously the leadership as a whole did not approve of the first two people to step forward to chair the event. But in that same report they did vote and agree for the second person. So it looks like the event is on.
The fact that is missing is I was the first one to step forward, they were the second. This was clear in the Facebook post that was removed for various nasty comments.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 73399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerhab2003 View Post
Someone jumped the gun. It's on!
Maybe you would like to tell us who that may have been.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 95253
Thanks Steve for stepping up.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
HOG JOCKEY

Member # 54114
i have been a member of cal 4wheel for many years. have also attended hdr consistently for many years. i dont understand why all of the internal strife in the organization. big question......why do we have a chairman from central california. socal undoubtedly has the superior number of members, yet we need direction from out of the area. my membership renewal recently came in the mail. i have been considering not renewing because of the recent internal problems, now this. hate to say it, but as i am sure a lot of us know.....my feelings are not unfounded and remote. cal4w better get their act together or they are not only going to lose individuals, but entire clubs.
herbycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 106179
You have a chairman from the Central District because nobody from the South would step up until it was announced on FB that it was cancelled. There was a lot of negative comments about the south not doing their job, Steve stepped up to do it. After Steve announced that he was taking it over, a couple people in the South decided they would do it. The BOD called BS and voted Steve the chairman because they did not believe the South would not put forth a good effort. Nothing had been done to put HDR on. No permit, nothing. Steve had to file the permit.

Last edited by igofshn; 03-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 95253
socal undoubtedly has the superior number of members

ChecK membership, Northern Califoria has the most members and Clubs.
WHY?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 106179
Per capita, the south has the least # of members.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 110335
I wonder why??? With all of the BULLSHIT coming out of Mr Cave and his central cronnies the south members/clubs have more important things to confront. I see less & less involvment in CA4WDC by the southern district inhabitants. I know not another dime of my money is going to a dying organization.
thubub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 184265
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieOTR View Post
I'm pretty much done with Cal4Wheel at this point. I've been a member for over a decade but what's the point? We are on the brink of the most serious OHV land grad in History and Cal4Wheel isn't doing squat. They are not effectively communicating with their membership and there is infighting abound. They voted down two south district individuals who have been involved in 4wd for longer than I can remember only to replace them with people from the central district? Really? They are quickly working their way to a Southern California Association of 4wd Clubs. Dollars are hard to come by these days, I'd rather put them towards something I can believe in.
There is a word for what they (Central/Northern) are doing. It's called "carpetbagging". They think they know what is best for us and are hell bent on ramming it down our throats Obama style.

SoCal Association of 4WD Clubs has a very nice ring to it.

Last edited by MikeOTR; 03-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.
MikeOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 110335
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOTR View Post
There is a word for what they (Central/Northern) are doing. It's called "carpetbagging". They think they know what is best for us and are hell bent on ramming it down our throats Obama style.

SCA4WDC does sound nice.
thubub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 114877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOTR View Post

And there's a word for those in the south who are helping them too. It's "collaborators" just like the Frenchmen who helped the Nazis in WWII were called.

jim
justcallmejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 95253
The only thing that really matters is HDR is going on.
Hopfully everyone will help make it a success. It is a great event.

Last edited by chevyjepp; 03-18-2012 at 07:09 AM.