"URGENT" U.S.F.S. Trail Route Designation Information - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southern California
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 96959
Exclamation "URGENT" U.S.F.S. Trail Route Designation Information

The U.S.F.S. is in the process of shutting down a huge portion of our trails. For those of us wondering what we can do to stop this.......... It's time to sit down and write a letter to your Congressman. We've learned that most of our Congressional Representatives don't have any idea what's going on with this Route Designation Process.
Listed below is a well versed letter that is being used by our O.H.V. community. Take the time to read and copy it. Make any changes you personally feel are necessary. Print it out and sign it and then put a stamp on an envelope and mail it to your Representative. Hundreds of letters in mail bags get much more attention then a thousand e-mails on a computer screen.

Pass this info onto your associates, fellow wheelers, fisherman, hunters, etc and lets get the ball rolling. THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congressional Rep's info can be obtained at this web site:

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/index.html

To: The Honorable Congressman

Re: USDA Forest Service Route Designation Process

Dear Congressman,

I am a regular visitor to the National Forests and Bureau of Land Management lands in the Western United States. I have camped, hunted, fished, hiked and driven my street legal vehicle in the back country all over California and neighboring states, all the while keeping in mind to take care of the environment and abide by the tread lightly policies.

Over the years I have tried to be an active participant in the policy-making procedures of the USDA Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management including the current Route Designation Process. I support the route designation process on the surface, but am extremely concerned that the end result is going to severely limit access to our public lands including most, if not all, of the so called dead end trails and dispersed or secluded camp sites.

Those of us that recreate on public lands and who have been actively involved in the route designation process, have been told at the meetings that we have attended that when the route designation process is complete, all existing trails that have not been designated to remain open will be permanently closed to motorized access. As a result of these closures, almost all of the dead end trails will be eliminated which in turn will eliminate access to much of the dispersed (secluded) camping spots and limit access to many of the best hunting and fishing locations. Organized campgrounds are nice but many of them are already overcrowded and you have to put up with noisy dogs, loud music late at night, generators running constantly and the intrusion of unwanted visitors into your campsite. Furthermore, due to forest service funding shortfalls, many of these campgrounds are already in poor condition and forcing additional campers into the already limited space is only going to make things worse.

I am extremely concerned that the US Forest Service is willing to sacrifice our recreational activities to advance some extreme agenda. It is apparent that this program of closing public lands does not in anyway take into consideration the original intent of why the National Forest multiple use system was established, as stated on the Forest Service web site: “Congress responded by directing the Forest Service to manage national forests for additional multiple uses and benefits and for the sustained yield of renewable resources such as water, forage, wildlife, wood, and recreation. Multiple use means managing resources under the best combination of uses to benefit the American people while ensuring the productivity of the land and protecting the quality of the environment.” It is my considered opinion that these current policy changes will lead us to a zero multiple use program; restrict access to the forest by the young, the elderly and the disabled; and result in a quasi national park type system that provides access to only a select few.

It is very important that this program allow the flexibility in terms of future needs of those that recreate on public lands and take into consideration that not all people that visit the public lands have the ability to strap on a backpack and hike long distances in order to enjoy the natural beauty that our National Forests have to offer. Furthermore, it should be noted that recreating in the back country of our National Forests provides one of the few remaining leisure activities that is relatively safe and inexpensive as long as we maintain motorized access available to all ages. Having recreated in the National Forests for much of my life, it is my firm belief that motorized recreation can exist in the forest without any anyway degrading or damaging their natural beauty.

I am extremely concerned that if the proposed forest route closures are made, much of the access to this land will be permanently eliminated especially to those who are very young or getting older in life. I therefore request your assistance in seeing that moderation and common sense be used in implementing this new route designation policy. In the future, if it is determined that some trails are causing damage to the environment, additional closures may be required, however, once an existing trail is closed it will be next to impossible to ever open it again should the need arise. Your immediate help in limiting those extremists who insist on closing the forests to all but a select few and in maintaining reasonable access to the forest lands for the vast majority of us who love there beauty but are unable to hike long distances to enjoy them is desperately requested.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Telephone
007Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 97391
Arrow

SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED........ WHAT NEXT ?
Mac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 33649
Sent. thanks for the links.

Take some time and get involved people!!!!

when they close the places we ALL use and enjoy you will have no right to complain if you do not get involved...NOW.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 96959
Arrow WHO and HOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfranco View Post
Sent. thanks for the links.

Take some time and get involved people!!!!

when they close the places we ALL use and enjoy you will have no right to complain if you do not get involved...NOW.

The question about "Who do I contact?" is easy.

Start with your elected officials - specifically the ones that represent the voting district you live in.

County - know your Board of Supervisors District and name of the Supervisor

State - know your legislative and senator district and name of Assemblyman or Senator

Federal - Know your congressional district and name of your representative.

Next, know the area where you recreate and the county, state and federal representative.

Basically, elected official like to hear from their constituents.

Next, they are concerned about issues that will affect the economy of the district they represent.

So, your letters should contain information about the economic impact you represent.

Your letter should go to elected officials that you know are in support of your view as well as officials that are in opposition. Letters to the opposition are important as they show there is another side of the discussion.

Thanks for the letter writing effort. The impact may not be evident immediately. It will be evident in the long run.

Remember one important point - use correct title what addressing elected representatives.
Moderator, MUIRNet - Multiple Use Information Resource Network - http://www.muirnet.net
007Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote