Newb here, sayin' Hi - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southern California
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
schleprock

Member # 88698
Newb here, sayin' Hi

I've been reading a lot on this site and it looks like a good time. I'm a road racer, who's finally starting to realize that the cost versus fun factor just isn't in the right proportions, so its time to find something else to do on the weekends. I'm thinking that spending $400 on fuel, $400 on entry fee's, and $1000 on tires per weekend for 1 or 2 hours of track time can be replaced by beater solid axle toyota, some gear, and a cooler full of refreshments for weekends out in the sticks.

I don't have a truck yet (well, just my tow rig) but was wondering if I could come on out for a ride-along some weekend with someone. I'm a mechanic, and crew for a road race team, so I'm well versed in creative repairs track or trailside.

I live about 5 miles from LAX, so if anyone in the area has an extra seat and wouldn't mind helping a newbee get his feet wet, I'd love to join you.

-Pat
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 98320
Gotta be more than crickets around here for a N00B.

Hey, Frank, that BioTurboDieselpukin' Scout cud use a bee-yatch rider for the next time you shred another hub spyder on that dana 44. FREE LABOR, MAN!!! You don't see this everyday!

Hit him up for gas money!
NutRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Watch for the next event that sounds interesting and you should be able to find an open seat. I'll be heading to Calico next month, and should have an open seat... If you don't mind a 50 lb dog in your lap.

Calico is near Barstow. Not exactly the sticks.

-Wayne
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19822
there is a competition this weekend in cougar buttes if you want to watch....i'll be out there friday for some wheeling and there might be some night wheeling on comp days.

or next weekend is a big weekend at the hammers. i may have an empty seat for that.

rob

Last edited by 93EddieB; 09-20-2007 at 12:20 AM.
93EddieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
schleprock

Member # 88698
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutRunner View Post
Gotta be more than crickets around here for a N00B.

Hey, Frank, that BioTurboDieselpukin' Scout cud use a bee-yatch rider for the next time you shred another hub spyder on that dana 44. FREE LABOR, MAN!!! You don't see this everyday!

Hit him up for gas money!
Beats rebuilding an AWD mitsubishi gearbox in the dirt paddok at midnight...where do I sign up?

Anyway, I've been looking for a "beginner rig" for the past couple weeks (read: cheap) and I picked one up today. '86 yota pickup with a 5spd/22R Turbo. I fixed a bunch of oil leaks and did a tune up/valve adjustment, and it runs good. I think the turbo is passing oil, so I'll get that rebuilt, but its pretty quick. Its all stock except for Edelbrock shocks in the front, procomp shocks in the back, and it came with brand new 31" BFGs...which will be fine for now. I'm just gonna go out and run it how it is (after the mechanical issues are fixed) and enjoy it for a while. I'll try to hook up with you guys on an easy run in a week or so after I get this thing sorted out.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Welcome Turbo truck sounds cool. I'm parting out an 86 right now if you need any odds and ends. I'll be out at Cougar Buttes for the comp on Sat morning, looks like there might not be any wheeling in Big Bear for a little while till this fire stuff gets figured out.

Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
schleprock

Member # 88698
I'd like to come out and watch...but I dunno if I'll make it. There's a noise in the motor that I've been trying to figure out since I bought it, it sounded almost like a bad waterpump bearings, but its only at medium load in a certain RPM range. I put my chassis ear on about 4 different things under the hood and took it for a ride, and the noise is definately bottom end. I have a feeling the previous owner ran it out of oil and damaged at least one of the rod bearings, but not too bad. I think I'll spend the weekend yanking the front diff and the pan to at least check the bearings (also gives me an excuse to weld the front diff). I want this thing to be reliable when I go out with it.

Eddie - If I don't have mine done by next week....I'd like to take you up on that extra seat for Hammers. Give me a call if you've got room.

310-947-7014
-Pat
Old 09-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlKann View Post
Welcome Turbo truck sounds cool. I'm parting out an 86 right now if you need any odds and ends. I'll be out at Cougar Buttes for the comp on Sat morning, looks like there might not be any wheeling in Big Bear for a little while till this fire stuff gets figured out.
Thinking of heading out to the comp also.. Maybe poke around a do a little light wheeling while out there. (In the Sammi again..)

-Wayne
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 19822
i'm out for this weekend. sorry.

i'm looking at going for krustyfest in oct. the weekend of the 20th i believe.

rob

Last edited by 93EddieB; 09-24-2007 at 11:43 PM.
93EddieB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
schleprock

Member # 88698
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrk2001 View Post
Can I suggest something for you, Don't mod anything just yet. Get your rig in tip top shape, keep it all stock, and learn how to wheel. I always see alot of people get themselves in trouble because they don't understand the relationship between their rig and the dirt. The best drivers are the ones who start with nothing and end up making the one who haves it all look like a fool. Learn as you go. Don't rush it. Trust me!
I live in barstow. If you want to bring your toy out here, I can take you on some introduction level trails that are fun and you learn alot about your rig. PM me if you are interested
Thats definately the plan. I yanked the front diff and pulled the pan down, all the bearings were down to copper and the crank was pretty beat up, so the motor came out and it getting a proper rebuild and getting reassembled the right way....All new rubber stuff from the dealer, new turbo, clutch, everything that didn't look or feel new is getting replaced so I won't have any reliability issues.

While the front diff is out, I might make that a lincoln locker...we'll see, but no mods for now, I just want to go out and drive it.

I'll take you up on the Barstow invitation as soon as the motor is back in and I shake it down around town for a week or so. thanks

Last edited by LBHSBZ; 09-26-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 76617
Quote:
Can I suggest something for you, Don't mod anything just yet. Get your rig in tip top shape, keep it all stock, and learn how to wheel. I always see alot of people get themselves in trouble because they don't understand the relationship between their rig and the dirt. The best drivers are the ones who start with nothing and end up making the one who haves it all look like a fool. Learn as you go. Don't rush it. Trust me!
I live in barstow. If you want to bring your toy out here, I can take you on some introduction level trails that are fun and you learn alot about your rig. PM me if you are interested
We live not to far from barstow and I work there PM lazybum or me We,ll go wheel with you guys. The F-TOYs down right now but we got a samie that needs some lovin

F-TOY #22
Hi desert driveline
losi
rcp crawlers
A Samauri is not an f-toy
A samauri is not an f-toy
benttoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 82820
Quote:

hay man im in Victorville and me and my brother and buddy are looking into doing some of the trails out that way sence it has started to cool off during the day! we are looking into the Easy to moderate levels..

And i will 2ed your wording on the "Build it up" hat is how i started, and am still learning tho i still consider myself a newbie. I started on basic fire roads learned how my truck handeled, then i have been progressivly moving onto harder things. You learn each time your off road on how your rig handels differently. And you make mistakes but you learn not to do that.

THis past weekend i was out at the Silverwood 2N17X, this was the second time doing it, and the rain changed the trail ALOT! you learn to read the trail as well....
AdidasCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.