Learn me on Moab and Canyonlands - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Learn me on Moab and Canyonlands

This summer I'm planning on swinging through Moab and hitting Canyonlands Natl park while i'm there. Planning on renting a Jeep and exploring and maybe camping. I'm planning on renting a Jeep that'll have somewhere between a 32" and 35" tire size. Can't reserve one ahead of time since I don't have a dedicated date for this trip, so i'll just have to take what they have when I show up. Looking to do this in August, what are some must see / must do trails while i'm there? Not afraid to return it with some dents and scratched paint

Cliffs

In Moab / Canyonlands for 3-4 Days in August

What are the must see, must do trails?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 191574
It will be HOT AS HELL in Aug, but Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are great trails to see the Red rock, Poison Spider and Cliff Hanger are some really fun trails that a rental can do. Fiesta Mexicana is a good Mexican place and Eddie Mc Stiff's is a good place for a burger and a beer
Johnny_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 158401
I agree with the above stated trails, as far as eating, Eddie Mcstiffs was listed as a local business who is against the OHV community, so they will never get my money again. I go to the Moab Brewery, they have a Jeep inside and off road videos playing on the monitors, there are also many other great places to eat there, Zaks, Pasta Jays to name a few. With a rental you are limited to the above stated trails, you are not allowed trails like pritchett canyon, Area Bfe, Rusty Nail and Golden Spike. However I think the must do Moab trail is Hells Revenge, fins and things is a fun slick rock trail also. Whenever I take someone to Moab who has never been there before I go straight to Hells revenge, it has challenging obstacles with by passes around everything. It will be very hot in August, so AC is a must, Hells Revenge, Fins and things and Poisen Spider are all close to town, Canyonland is out about 30 miles and has never ending amount of two tracks, there is one popular jeep trail named elephant hill that has amazing scenery. It just depends on how much time you have. It might be nice one day to just go drive the pass up in the La sals, the mountains right next to town, camping up there would be much cooler also, one time I was there, it was 65 in the mountains and 98 in town. I go there alot as I only live a couple hours away, however I do not go in June through Sept as I have no AC and it is too hot for me.
Rman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 196213
just some weather FYI.

http://www.discovermoab.com/climate.htm

Fins, hells, moab rim... tons of great tech trails. One I've done a couple different ways, (not too tech at all) is shaefer trail/ white rim, which is a nice alternate way to get into canyonlands from Moab. EXTREMELY scenic run, even for moab, definitely a must do imo. Been out there 6 or 7 times now & schaefer trail was one I'd not want to miss.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Smile

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_H View Post
It will be HOT AS HELL in Aug, but Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are great trails to see the Red rock, Poison Spider and Cliff Hanger are some really fun trails that a rental can do. Fiesta Mexicana is a good Mexican place and Eddie Mc Stiff's is a good place for a burger and a beer
Thanks for the trails, they're first on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
I agree with the above stated trails, as far as eating, Eddie Mcstiffs was listed as a local business who is against the OHV community, so they will never get my money again.
I'll make sure they don't get any business from me.

Quote:
I go to the Moab Brewery, they have a Jeep inside and off road videos playing on the monitors, there are also many other great places to eat there, Zaks, Pasta Jays to name a few. With a rental you are limited to the above stated trails, you are not allowed trails like pritchett canyon, Area Bfe, Rusty Nail and Golden Spike. However I think the must do Moab trail is Hells Revenge, fins and things is a fun slick rock trail also. Whenever I take someone to Moab who has never been there before I go straight to Hells revenge, it has challenging obstacles with by passes around everything. It will be very hot in August, so AC is a must, Hells Revenge, Fins and things and Poisen Spider are all close to town, Canyonland is out about 30 miles and has never ending amount of two tracks, there is one popular jeep trail named elephant hill that has amazing scenery. It just depends on how much time you have.
Thanks for the trail suggestions, add'd to the list. Elephant Hill sounds great i'll have to check it out.

Quote:
It might be nice one day to just go drive the pass up in the La sals, the mountains right next to town, camping up there would be much cooler also, one time I was there, it was 65 in the mountains and 98 in town. I go there alot as I only live a couple hours away, however I do not go in June through Sept as I have no AC and it is too hot for me.
Thats a good idea, might do an overnighter up there if I have enough time

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
just some weather FYI.

http://www.discovermoab.com/climate.htm

Fins, hells, moab rim... tons of great tech trails. One I've done a couple different ways, (not too tech at all) is shaefer trail/ white rim, which is a nice alternate way to get into canyonlands from Moab. EXTREMELY scenic run, even for moab, definitely a must do imo. Been out there 6 or 7 times now & schaefer trail was one I'd not want to miss.
Shaefer trail / white rim sounds really cool, i'll definatly check it out.

This trip is all about seeing the sights and these sounds like great ideas, if anyone else has more suggestions please let me know.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 26938
Thanks for the info guys! I'm heading out there in 4 weeks. Its my first trip and I'm getting a rental with 35's&lockers& decent gears. I plan on running elephant hill, hells and fin&things, then top of the world. Wife is 'making me' take her to arches for one day but I hear there is a nice little trail leading out to an arch

Luke, I'll let you know how the rental turns out and if I was able to make all these trails in three days.

Steven

Last edited by snafu; 05-03-2012 at 03:47 PM.
snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Thanks Steven, look foward to hearing about your trip
Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 191574
Talking

Quote:
I agree with the above stated trails, as far as eating, Eddie Mcstiffs was listed as a local business who is against the OHV community, so they will never get my money again. I go to the Moab Brewery, they have a Jeep inside and off road videos playing on the monitors, there are also many other great places to eat there, Zaks, Pasta Jays to name a few. With a rental you are limited to the above stated trails, you are not allowed trails like pritchett canyon, Area Bfe, Rusty Nail and Golden Spike. However I think the must do Moab trail is Hells Revenge, fins and things is a fun slick rock trail also. Whenever I take someone to Moab who has never been there before I go straight to Hells revenge, it has challenging obstacles with by passes around everything. It will be very hot in August, so AC is a must, Hells Revenge, Fins and things and Poisen Spider are all close to town, Canyonland is out about 30 miles and has never ending amount of two tracks, there is one popular jeep trail named elephant hill that has amazing scenery. It just depends on how much time you have. It might be nice one day to just go drive the pass up in the La sals, the mountains right next to town, camping up there would be much cooler also, one time I was there, it was 65 in the mountains and 98 in town. I go there alot as I only live a couple hours away, however I do not go in June through Sept as I have no AC and it is too hot for me.

Funny thing about Moab brewery is you will see 10 bikes outside to 1 rig and they serve warm beer. But the filthy hippies are everywhere down there. Enjoy the trip
Johnny_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 207239
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I'm heading out there in 4 weeks. Its my first trip and I'm getting a rental with 35's&lockers& decent gears. I plan on running elephant hill, hells and fin&things, then top of the world. Wife is 'making me' take her to arches for one day but I hear there is a nice little trail leading out to an arch

Luke, I'll let you know how the rental turns out and if I was able to make all these trails in three days.

Steven
Top Of The World is a great trail with a huge payoff at the end! The trail in Arches NP is to Tower Arch...think there are one or two other arches back there if you do the whole loop. It's pretty mild, but gets you away from the crowds.
FJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Steven are you back from your trip yet?

Can you guys reccomend me a good trail map?

Still planning on going sometime in August
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 157263
Get the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps. There are two: Moab South and Moab North. Get the Charles Wells guide book on the Moab area 4x4 trails for great Moab area info. Check out the Red Rock 4 Wheelers website on Moab area trails.
roverrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverrocks View Post
Get the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps. There are two: Moab South and Moab North. Get the Charles Wells guide book on the Moab area 4x4 trails for great Moab area info. Check out the Red Rock 4 Wheelers website on Moab area trails.
Thanks, i'll pick up those books and check out Red Rock 4 Wheelers site too.

Wish I could bring my rig out to Moab, but I can't afford to drag it across the country
Old 06-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 26938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERMUDDER View Post
Steven are you back from your trip yet?

Can you guys reccomend me a good trail map?

Still planning on going sometime in August

We survived and Iím already planning on going back. We rented a jeep from Cliffhanger. It was a Rubicon with a 4Ē lift running 35ís. We did Elephant Hill the first day and Top of the World the second. We didnít see any one until about half way through Elephant Hill and not a soul on Top of the World. Elephant Hill takes most of the day because itís about 80 miles from Moab. We could have hit another trail after Top of the World but we went into Arches that afternoon and did a little hike to an Arch. Delicate Arch is a heck of a hike!!! We did Hells Revenge on the third day and could have hit Fins and Things but we went back into Arches that afternoon and hit the Tower Arch trail. It was pretty easy but very nice and way the heck out there. The last day we did Poison Spider Mesa and that was a lot of fun. The most fun of the all! It took about 7hrs and we just made it back in time to turn the jeep in. I was really surprised at how close most of the trails are to town. Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are just outside town. When you come back to the main road after leaving Hells Revenge in just a few minutes you can go over to Potato Salad Hill and give it a try. Also the local swimming holes are right there and the water is very nice and cold. In August you should really try it.
If you have any questions just let me know.

Steven
Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 26938
Oh, I used Charles Wells book. It is great and gives you a lot of info. You can pick them up all over town. The visitors center is in town on main st. They have maps and the Wells book. Most of the trails we went on we didn't have any problems keeping on the trails. Just follow the scars on the rocks or the tire marks. Its very easy!!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 221559
Send a message via ICQ to AZMyke
I'm going to Moab for the first time during the 4th! Can't wait ... will pick up a Charles Wells guidebook.

Last edited by AZMyke; 06-26-2012 at 07:35 PM.
AZMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 19355
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMyke View Post
I'm going to Moab for the first time during the 4th! Can't wait ... will pick up a Charles Wells guidebook.

I was in Moab on the 4th last year.

We wheeled up Moab Rim just before dark.

Cooked out on top.

Watched the fireworks from the cliff side.

Wheeled down.

One of my best 4th experiences ever
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 26938
Holy Crap! That's the way to do it...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 176698
Smile

Quote:
We survived and Iím already planning on going back. We rented a jeep from Cliffhanger. It was a Rubicon with a 4Ē lift running 35ís. We did Elephant Hill the first day and Top of the World the second. We didnít see any one until about half way through Elephant Hill and not a soul on Top of the World. Elephant Hill takes most of the day because itís about 80 miles from Moab. We could have hit another trail after Top of the World but we went into Arches that afternoon and did a little hike to an Arch. Delicate Arch is a heck of a hike!!! We did Hells Revenge on the third day and could have hit Fins and Things but we went back into Arches that afternoon and hit the Tower Arch trail. It was pretty easy but very nice and way the heck out there. The last day we did Poison Spider Mesa and that was a lot of fun. The most fun of the all! It took about 7hrs and we just made it back in time to turn the jeep in. I was really surprised at how close most of the trails are to town. Hells Revenge and Fins and Things are just outside town. When you come back to the main road after leaving Hells Revenge in just a few minutes you can go over to Potato Salad Hill and give it a try. Also the local swimming holes are right there and the water is very nice and cold. In August you should really try it.
If you have any questions just let me know.

Steven
Quote:
Oh, I used Charles Wells book. It is great and gives you a lot of info. You can pick them up all over town. The visitors center is in town on main st. They have maps and the Wells book. Most of the trails we went on we didn't have any problems keeping on the trails. Just follow the scars on the rocks or the tire marks. Its very easy!!
Sounds like you had a great time Steven. Thanks for all the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMyke View Post
Have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaylefarmer View Post
I was in Moab on the 4th last year.

We wheeled up Moab Rim just before dark.

Cooked out on top.

Watched the fireworks from the cliff side.

Wheeled down.

One of my best 4th experiences ever
Sounds awesome, too bad I can't make it in time this year

Thanks for all the info I'm looking forward to it
Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
AZ Undertaker

Member # 51580
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaylefarmer View Post
i was in moab on the 4th last year.

We wheeled up moab rim just before dark.
yes
MILLER RACING #26

2012 and 2013 Dirt Riot Modified Trail Class National Champion

ADS SHOCKS * ARTEC INDUSTRIES * SOUTHWEST FASTENER * HOWE PERFORMANCE * RUGGED RADIOS * SDHQ * BLACK N BLUE RACING * RIGID INDUSTRIES * RACELINE WHEELS * FLY-N-HI * CAMPBELL ENTERPRISES * LETZROLL OFFROAD
theydontstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 178579
Hopefully I'm not thread-jacking or resurrecting too dead of a thread, but how about any tips on a possible late-October / early-November visit to the Moab area in a early-'80s K-10 w/ 135" WB & 31" tires, no-winch but come-alongs, straps, hi-lift jacks, OBA?
Any suggested maps? Trails to drive? Trails to avoid?
Thanx
oldenginebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53808
Start with Fins and Things, then hit Hell's Revenge. Fins and Things will get your feet wet and Hell's Revenge has enough challenging stuff (with by-passes) TO GET YOUR BLOOD PUMPING. You won't need a winch (not much to tie off to anyway).
Gixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 102409
What's Moab like this time of year? I was thinking of possibly hitting a couple of trails on my Birthday. (Early December.)
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 136778
just depends.. it was 15* for the low when i was down there last week!

but the trails are not to busy! im thinking i'll go down again in february!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 102409
I was out camping last week with 10 degree lows, thats fine, how is snow out there this time of year? I was looking at maybe trying elephant hill in canyonlands, maybe a couple of easier trails as well.
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 217816
If it's warmer in MN I'm gonna be pissed.