CO may be in my future. Please give advice. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166616
Talking CO may be in my future. Please give advice.

So i've been looking into a transfer with my job. Denver looks to be my best chance on a transfer to Colorado. The location is near Highland where the 25 and 70 freeways meet. Me and my girlfriend will be making a weekend trip out to Denver in July. We are gonna arrive early Friday morning and leave Sunday so we don't have much time to check things out.
Obviously since i'm on this board I like wheeling and other offroad activities. Now here is where I need help. We are gonna get a rental car and jet drive around the entire time and check out locations. Can you fellow wheelers from Colorado help me out on suggestions on places to drive through and look and neighborhoods and homes? We just want to see the suburban scenery I guess you could say. Where are the nice places to live?

Also other suggestions on something we should do while we are there would be appreciated. Thanks!
Justdhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
rch

Member # 71502
Check out colorado4x4.org, lots of people in the denver area on that site.
rch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
Define "nice"
budget?
lot size?
commute time to where?

try cohomefinder.com and see what floats your boat..

oh and stop calling it "the 25"... Its I-25 or just 25. CO people hate CA people (even though many are from there), and thats the dead give away. small hwys are "hwy 24", not "the 24". and get used to putting north and south on a lot of roads compared to CA

Ventura County Axle Snappers 4 Wheel Drive Club

Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 127952
Just moved to Denver. May not be permanent so I am renting. If you like any space at all, check out Parker. My .02. There are lots of options from Mountains to flats. I am from NM and commuting is not a big deal back there. Location here from home to work can mean a rough commute.

The home finder sites are a good way to go. Boring, but good research.
locoazul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 166616
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowSub1962 View Post
Define "nice"
budget?
lot size?
commute time to where?

try cohomefinder.com and see what floats your boat..

oh and stop calling it "the 25"... Its I-25 or just 25. CO people hate CA people (even though many are from there), and thats the dead give away. small hwys are "hwy 24", not "the 24". and get used to putting north and south on a lot of roads compared to CA

Budget: At first I would to rent to give me time and see exactly where I want to live. 1300-1600, maybe a bit more a month.

Lot size : Would differ by the length between neighbors. I would like about 2.5 acres, but would probably be ok with 1 acre if I liked the house.

Commute: I commute about 40min now. I could live with a little longer if it was really worth it.

All I did was look up the address and see that its right about where the "I-25" and "I-70" connect. Excuse me for being from CA. I'll bring some real cheese and real avocados when I come

Last edited by Justdhutch; 06-19-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1956
You posted you want advice..
Don't move there.
I left the Denver area a year ago and damn glad I did. As I did live in Cali previously also, I can tell you, Denver isn't much better than Cali and is getting worse by the day.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 166616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
You posted you want advice..
Don't move there.
I left the Denver area a year ago and damn glad I did. As I did live in Cali previously also, I can tell you, Denver isn't much better than Cali and is getting worse by the day.
I'm guessing you mean with crime and trashy people around every corner? Because thats's how it is in Cali it seems like.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 101642
denver is nothing trash wise to st. louis where i moved from. so its all in perspective i guess. if you want an acre be prepared to spend some cash as space is limited. that is my biggest complaint as i came from an acre of land and now my neighbors are basically sitting on my lap now
TJnPROGRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 38291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdhutch View Post
I'm guessing you mean with crime and trashy people around every corner? Because thats's how it is in Cali it seems like.
No, it's being flooded and overpopulated with Californians.

I was born/raised in Colorado (denver area's). If you're working around 70/25 then I'd look into housing up in the thornton, westminster or brighton areas. It will all be much cheaper than parker. Your commute from any of these 3 areas will vary from 15-35 minutes in good traffic.

I live in Brighton and while its not the best city in Colorado, it's definitely not the worst either. Not a bad town to be in. I spend a lot of time in thornton/westminster and there are a lot of good housing opportunities in pretty good neighborhoods for cheap.

To help you in your quest ---

Thornton area is I25 & 104th north to I25 & 136th, east to Holly. Map that square and check out some different places around there. A small area "northglenn" also falls in these perimeters.

Brighton is well... Brighton, hwy85 & bromley lane.

Westminster is pretty much the same as thornton north/south, only to the west of 25 out to Wadsworth.

Last edited by PhntmSk8r; 06-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.
PhntmSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 101642
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhntmSk8r View Post
No, it's being flooded and overpopulated with Californians.

I was born/raised in Colorado (denver area's). If you're working around 70/25 then I'd look into housing up in the thornton, westminster or brighton areas. It will all be much cheaper than parker. Your commute from any of these 3 areas will vary from 15-35 minutes in good traffic.

I live in Brighton and while its not the best city in Colorado, it's definitely not the worst either. Not a bad town to be in. I spend a lot of time in thornton/westminster and there are a lot of good housing opportunities in pretty good neighborhoods for cheap.

To help you in your quest ---

Thornton area is I25 & 104th north to I25 & 136th, east to Holly. Map that square and check out some different places around there. A small area "northglenn" also falls in these perimeters.

Brighton is well... Brighton, hwy85 & bromley lane.

Westminster is pretty much the same as thornton north/south, only to the west of 25 out to Wadsworth.
we're damn near neighbors. I live in Thornton around 128th & quebec. I like it here cause i can be on 85 in 5 minutes or I25 in 10-15 minutes.
TJnPROGRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
1962 YellowSubmarine

Member # 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justdhutch View Post
I'll bring some real cheese and real avocados when I come
I lived in CA from '83 to 2011, so I don't need your cheese and I hate avocados

If you're moving here to get away from the "CA mentality" and liberalism, you're in for a rude awakening. I've been saying for years that CO is the next CA and Denver is the next LA. It's proving true way faster than I had imagined due to the large influx of people from CA trying to turn it into "what they're used to" and thought they wanted to get away from. People like me (and you I suspect) that really wanted to get away from CA, the liberals, the rat race, etc, move out into the Country and change our lifestyle and living costs to get away from the city. If you're cool with a1-1:15 commute, I would definitely look into moving into El Paso County someplace.

Down here, $250K buys you 5 acres and a 2000-3000sqft home pretty much anyplace. In Denver and it's suburbs, the same money buys you a small track home where you can shake hands with your neighbors out your windows over the fence. Obviously there are exceptions, and location makes a huge difference, but out here an hour commute is the trade off for a huge quality of life difference, up there it's just part of the gig.

Douglas and Jefferson Counties are ok too but property taxes are higher and their emission laws and building codes are tougher. There are many more areas with covenants and HOAs too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Ventura County Axle Snappers 4 Wheel Drive Club

Help Fight Global Warming- turn your A/C on high and open all your windows.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store - NOT a government agency!!!!

Last edited by YellowSub1962; 07-05-2012 at 08:04 AM.
YellowSub1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 38291
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnPROGRESS View Post
we're damn near neighbors. I live in Thornton around 128th & quebec. I like it here cause i can be on 85 in 5 minutes or I25 in 10-15 minutes.
You've probably seen my truck running around then, I'm in thornton all of the time and frequently cut across 128th from Riverdale.

It's a black tacoma, 36" TSL's, super short bed.
PhntmSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 80873
i used to live in colorado and would move back if i could find a job that payed anywhere near what i have now that i though would be secure. if you really want to escape the california mentality and want open space look towards grand junction. i lived in colorado springs too and really liked it there as well.
bushauler is offline   Reply With Quote