Tell me about Flagstaff... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Tell me about Flagstaff...

Well one of the places the fiancÚ is looking at for grad school is Flagstaff. What do you guys think about the area?

Are there jobs? I am going to be graduating with a degree in MET right before we move so I am going to need to get a job ASAP to support us.

How bad is the cost of living vs. the average income for the area? We live in Bozeman witch has gone from a college town to a Aspen type resort town. The pay scale is really low compared to the cost of housing and living here.

And finally how is the wheeling Being the south west it might be a good excuse to build a tube buggy and ditch the cab truck At least we will be a little closer to moab and the hammers!

Thanks
ROB
Old 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 102531
Not much wheeling other than FS roads in Flagstaff. You could drive 1 1/2 hrs south and be in rock HEAVEN though! NAU is a great party school, and the area is drop dead beautiful! It is not a very big town, and I would think jobs are relatively scarce, unless you want to work in an incense store(hippie town). One of my favorite areas in the state though. Lots of hunting available if you can beat the AZGFD draw process. I cannot seem to.

Last edited by lancetkenyon; 10-07-2008 at 08:50 PM.
lancetkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stay the Trail

Member # 3937
Haven't lived in AZ for a few years, but from what I learned growing up. Flagstaff is a decent town to visit, you just don't want to live there. Cost of living extreemly high for such a small town and jobs are fairly hard to come by. I knew a lot of people that drove 60+ miles south just to find jobs and still barely made enough money to continue living there. Like ^ said, wheeling is limited to FS roads and the cinder's (cinder pit turned into a rec area).

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 104033
http://flagstaff4wheelers.com/

I know a guy that lives in Parks, He likes it, and wheels in his Back Yard...
Jason4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
I knew a lot of people that drove 60+ miles south just to find jobs and still barely made enough money to continue living there.
That's one thing I am definatly worried about. It's not great around here eather...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post
Lots of hunting available if you can beat the AZGFD draw process. I cannot seem to.

So a resident can't just go to the store and purchase an elk tag
Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 30134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcurrier44 View Post
So a resident can't just go to the store and purchase an elk tag
Nope! Getting drawn usually takes some time, but it is a draw. You could get lucky and get it first try. I havn't been drawn in several years but I did make it up with a couple friends that got tags a few weeks ago. One of them was last drawn 7-8 years ago.
You can get some OTC tags, but your success odds will be terrible. http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/over-the-co...elk-tags.shtml
azyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock Unstacker

Member # 101998
Sounds familiar I'm in a similar situation. We relocated to AZ because my wife is going to grad school at NAU. The job market is pretty scarce in Flag and the closest place I could find a job is Mesa (basically Phoenix). So, we had to rent in one location and buy in another. After looking at the prices in flagstaff it was pretty obvious that we couldn't afford to buy anything there even though I think that would have been a better investment property with the college town of Flag. We tried looking a little south off the I-17 in Kachina and Munds Park. Houses were a little cheaper in Munds Park, but not by a whole lot. Not to mention it's a bit of a drive into Flag every day.

So, we bought a place in Queen Creek, rent a studio in Flag, and see each other about every 2-3 weeks. Now if I wasn't "happily" married then that might be an ideal situation for some, but that's not the case with us. It's not easy, but it is what it is.

The housing prices are dirt cheap in the Phoenix area and the jobs are a plenty. Flagstaff is a cool town and it's a total hippie town, which is kind of cool. Two cool breweries in Flag and some great snowboarding up at Snowbowl. Driving in Flag is a nightmare and you can usually get to places faster on a bike...when the roads aren't covered in snow & ice in the winter Even the apartments are expensive in Flag. We rent a STUDIO for $700/month! There isn't really any wheeling in Flag and the best in AZ is in the PHX area: Table Mesa and Florence Junction.

Probably more information than you wanted to know, but your situation sounds similar so I thought I'd throw it out there on what we did.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 15404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconJeepGuy View Post
Sounds familiar

Dam, that really sucks man.... I hope my girl gets into Missoula. I think we will both be a lot happier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.