Arizona Mud Flap Law - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Off The Wagon

Member # 127313
Arizona Mud Flap Law

Okay, I need to know the answer to this. I have a Ram with a leveling kit (so the back is at stock height), but it may look lifted to the naked eye. I have 35" MT's on it, I need to know if I got pulled over for something else, would the cop be obligated to give me a fine for no flaps? My truck IS stock height however, the front is the only part that's lifted, and only by 2" (the front doesn't matter anyways, it's not the one flicking rocks). So I pretty much just have 35" MT's on a stock truck, does the mud flap law only apply to "lifted" vehicles? Or anything with bigger than stock size tires?

PS: And to those who didn't know about the mud flap law, I know someone who just got a ticket for it.

Willys Build http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=824952

“If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?”
- John Wooden RIP
"Let every man have a pistol, instead of one man have a tank."
2003_ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Okay going off memory here is how I have been quoted the law several times by some asshole cops.

"Splash guards/mud flaps are required on all trucks with altered suspension and on 1 ton rated trucks".

Im currently running an F250 with a leveling kit and 35" all terrain tires, and so far *knock on wood* I havent been harrassed. But in the past I've have but Ive always had my Super Dutys lifted pretty tall, and running atleast a 38" tire. I was pulled over by a DPS officer who detained me for over half and hour preaching to me the actual vehicle code on "splash guards" as he called them . Funny thing was I had mud flaps on the truck. I used chains to hold the mud flap and bracket, and something broke causing one side to hang down, so until I could fix it (less than a week) I just tucked it up into the fender well. He then went on a rant about "how my "splash guards" were not anti-sail and the size of my tires could easily fling rocks the size of a baseballs into people windshields and could kill them..." I couldnt believe this guy. The only plus side to this was that we were headed to the lake for the weekend, and I had forgotten my wallet at home. He only gave me a warning for no license since I knew my DL # and I was able to run back home and get it before heading out of town. He did give me a ticket for no mud flaps which that next Monday I fixed my mudflap then went to a substation to get it signed off on. The cop barely looked at my truck from across the parking lot and signed the ticket.

It just boils down to if you get pulled over by some hardass. My wifes cousin is a sheriff out where we live, and while he doesnt give out bs tickets, he said some of the older guys who are strictly by the book will.

Your best bet is to make a set of removeable ones, and just keep them in the back of your truck. If you get pulled over, say "sorry I forgot to put them back on after going out 4 wheeling" or some shit, and you'll be fine.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003_ram View Post
Okay, I need to know the answer to this. I have a Ram with a leveling kit (so the back is at stock height), but it may look lifted to the naked eye. I have 35" MT's on it, I need to know if I got pulled over for something else, would the cop be obligated to give me a fine for no flaps? My truck IS stock height however, the front is the only part that's lifted, and only by 2" (the front doesn't matter anyways, it's not the one flicking rocks). So I pretty much just have 35" MT's on a stock truck, does the mud flap law only apply to "lifted" vehicles? Or anything with bigger than stock size tires?

PS: And to those who didn't know about the mud flap law, I know someone who just got a ticket for it.

ANYTHING MODIFIED will be checked out by a cop. I see it more on 87 (country club) and the highways (60, 101, 202). Just put big flaps on it and forget about it.
padesertboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1956
I was pulled over on Redington Rd east of Tucson by a prick SD Officer. I had Colorado plates on my rig too. He threatened to ticket me for no flaps. In AZ, if it is TITLED as a truck, it is supposed to have flaps on if driven on the "Highway" and lifted. Jeeps are not titled as trucks.

If you do a bit of searching, it is online there in AZ. That is how I found the AZ law on mud flaps..

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00958-01.htm

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

Last edited by Shadow man; 06-16-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 106810
"Except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck."

Larger tires is a modification from stock.
Spring spacer in the front is a modification from stock.

So If i read the law correctly your rear bumper has to be at stock height or you need mud flaps. It does matter if you get a prick cop or not, some will over look it and some wont.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16722
hmmm. tough one. If you get stopped I would bet you would get a ticket. the cop has already made up his mind that your vehicle is modified, and he probably won't change his mind no matter what you say. he will leave it up to a judge. Perhaps my mindset was set from living in a state with a tough vehicle code and brutal enforcement, I would put flaps on it. I hate them, they are ugly, hurt fuel mileage and a million other things that suck about them, but all in all for the freedoms we are allowed it isn't a bad trade...

On the other hand i see a lot of lifted pick up trucks with no flaps every day. they don't seem to be bothered by the police. there is a guy at work who has a lifted super duty that is obviously modified and i don't think he has flaps. he has driven it to work everyday for the last 3 years, next time i run into him i'll ask if he has been bothered.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Off The Wagon

Member # 127313
Interesting stuff, thanks for the info. I am going to leave it flapless because I don't like the look personaly.

- John Wooden RIP
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1543
Harassed? Bothered? Detained? You guys whine like a bunch of nancy-boys. Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? Fact is, you're clearly aware of the AZ statutes regarding this issue. And as grown-ass men, you make a decision about whether you choose to comply with that statute.

If you willfully disregard and get caught, who's fault is it? The fact is, lifted trucks without flaps DO bear some responsibility for flinging debris on other motorists' vehicles.

Have I written tickets for that violation? Yep, usually in conjunction with something criminal. I try to abide by the spirit of the law; yes, I can tell if your truck is lifted. I actually had several guys tell me the 6-inch tall blocks under their half-ton springs and 38s are factory.

As for lying, well, take your chances. You may think your "I forgot to reattach them" story is brilliant. The cop you say that to has already heard the lie 82 times. Man up.

Take it for what it's worth, gentlemen.
Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 109953
can i have a "get out of jail free card" please?
ShmUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Off The Wagon

Member # 127313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
Harassed? Bothered? Detained? You guys whine like a bunch of nancy-boys. Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? Fact is, you're clearly aware of the AZ statutes regarding this issue. And as grown-ass men, you make a decision about whether you choose to comply with that statute.

If you willfully disregard and get caught, who's fault is it? The fact is, lifted trucks without flaps DO bear some responsibility for flinging debris on other motorists' vehicles.

Have I written tickets for that violation? Yep, usually in conjunction with something criminal. I try to abide by the spirit of the law; yes, I can tell if your truck is lifted. I actually had several guys tell me the 6-inch tall blocks under their half-ton springs and 38s are factory.

As for lying, well, take your chances. You may think your "I forgot to reattach them" story is brilliant. The cop you say that to has already heard the lie 82 times. Man up.

Ah man I thought my "forgot to re-attach them" story was going to win! Way to rain on a guys parade.

I do have a set of flaps in my garage, just need the hour or two of time to install them. Being a cop, would you pull someone over just for not having flaps? And would you care to ticket a truck that sits at stock height?

- John Wooden RIP

Last edited by 2003_ram; 06-17-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1543
Meh, I don't write many traffic tickets. As I said, I'm a believer in the "spirit" of the law. I choose to interpret the statute, as written, to mean any pickup that has had the suspension modified and lifted.

If you look like someone I want to talk to, I'd absolutely pull you over for it. Would I write you a ticket if there was nothing else going on with you? Almost certainly not ... unless you talked yourself into it
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 109953
Quote:
Meh, I don't write many traffic tickets. As I said, I'm a believer in the "spirit" of the law. I choose to interpret the statute, as written, to mean any pickup that has had the suspension modified and lifted.

If you look like someone I want to talk to, I'd absolutely pull you over for it. Would I write you a ticket if there was nothing else going on with you? Almost certainly not ... unless you talked yourself into it
you aren't the guy who pulled me over for running down the sidewalk home are you ????

kinda funny and im sure my family will never let me live that one down. Left the rusty spur about 5 min after everybody else and was jogging down the sidewalk on the way home (through the park, past library, down 2nd st) and next thing i know im being lit up and the guy literally goes "why you runnin" I really wanted to get all smart ass and be like its good exercise you should try it some time, but bit my tongue and he let me go without too many other questions. I was pretty loaded, but that one cracked me up.

Also got pulled over on my bike right there headed home from the bar (no lights and understandable)

maybe i should just avoid that road
Old 06-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 1543
Or avoid the bar ...

If you think from a different perspective, it would probably seem pretty unusual to you to see a drunk guy in street clothes running at 0230. In our world, that often means you just just assaulted/stabbed/shot someone and are trying to get away.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:

Well smuck, it appears that the OP is trying to do the right thing and be pro-active.

So what the hell is your problem?

In my case, maybe with your incredible Super powers of observation, you didn't notice that I am Colorado licenced, from Colorado and it was on Redington Rd up by Three Feathers outside of Tucson. Have YOU ever been on Redington Rd? It is NOT an Highway. Not even close.

Yes, I THOUGHLY enjoy pissing on Cops!
Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 1543
Through my amazing powers of self-observation, I looked inside myself and discovered that I didn't care where you're from. Sorry.

Before you strangle yourself on your own importance, look up the definition of "highway" in the ARS. By the way, this is how you spell "thoroughly," tough-guy.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 109953
Quote:
Or avoid the bar ...
thats no fun

i never said it wasn't justified... I just said it was funny. Never been pulled over for running. and it wasn't 2:30am. It was prob only midnight because i know my parents cant go much longer then that.

and just to argue from the other side; i run regularly at 12am+ because its so damn hot thats the only time i can workout and not die. So dont be getting all "by the book" on me. PM me your last name...im sure we'll meet one of these nights and i'd like to give you a high-five as i run by!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
Through my amazing powers of self-observation, I looked inside myself and discovered that I didn't care where you're from. Sorry.

Before you strangle yourself on your own importance, look up the definition of "highway" in the ARS. By the way, this is how you spell "thoroughly," tough-guy.
Is that so? Your even a part time grammar cop! Now I'm deeply intimidated.

If I can keep you occupied here, at least you won't be out Tazing the helpless elderly.

Last edited by Shadow man; 06-19-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 98845
quit pissin this fool off, just cuz yo udont live in the same state as him.

some of us do
Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Is that so? Your even a part time grammar cop! Now I'm deeply intimidated.

If I can keep you occupied here, at least you won't be out Tazing the helpless elderly.
Actually, that's not grammar, it's simple spelling, genius. By the way, the contraction of "you" and "are" is spelled "you're" not "your."

Feel free to keep trying. I've had better and smarter folks than you attempt to get under my skin. Hasn't worked yet, but, hey, you could be the first.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 110254
My only input to this-if you drink and drive at all put mud-flaps on your truck.
kmuskthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Off The Wagon

Member # 127313
Quote:
Actually, that's not grammar, it's simple spelling, genius. By the way, the contraction of "you" and "are" is spelled "you're" not "your."

Feel free to keep trying. I've had better and smarter folks than you attempt to get under my skin. Hasn't worked yet, but, hey, you could be the first.
Hey Blatant, being your a cop I gotta ask you one last question...

Is it legal to make a U-turn on a Red light if you stant behind the crosswalk? I have heard, and seen people do this a LOT, I never have because frankly it is not safe, but has really got me bugged that I can't find an answer anywhere (some people say yes, some no).

Sooo?

- John Wooden RIP

Last edited by 2003_ram; 06-22-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003_ram View Post
Is it legal to make a U-turn on a Red light if you stant behind the crosswalk? I have heard, and seen people do this a LOT, I never have because frankly it is not safe, but has really got me bugged that I can't find an answer anywhere (some people say yes, some no).

Sooo?

as I understand it ...... yes it is legal AS long as you do not cross into the intersection. (the line before the crosswalk)
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 123514
Send a message via AIM to frikenwoodro Send a message via Yahoo to frikenwoodro
Blatant what kinda mods have you done to your truck? is it all by the book?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 121616
I read earlier that this doesn't apply to jeeps. Is this true? If so why?
td2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 23035
Quote:
Originally Posted by td2000tj View Post
I read earlier that this doesn't apply to jeeps. Is this true? If so why?
Its the way the law is written. Your jeep is titled as a station wagon, and not a pickup truck.