Pirate 4x4 banner

1989 International S1600 Toterhome for sale

16K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 · (Edited)
Time to put "The Toter" up for sale. I don't use it as much as I used to. I don't wheel around here, or really much at all any more. I spent a lot of time rafting/kayaking and family camping the past few summers, time to downsize to a smaller Class C that will better fit our current needs...and my wife said she'd be willing to drive a smaller motorhome. :laughing:

$7,000
Will deliver within 500 miles of here or farther, depending on return travel options.

Will consider trades or partial trades on an EFI Class C.

Build thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/691445-mt4runners-toterhome-uhaul-project.html

40,000 miles since last engine rebuild
7-speed ESO66-7B transmission with new clutch and parking brake
Rear tires only have 10,000mi wear on them (should go 50k)
Steers have about 20k, original grooves are still deep.
New rear calipers and rotors, axle seals done 5k ago.
Rear electrical has been redone (new stop/reverse lights and trailer wiring)
Receiver hitch and wired with 7-way RV plug
New water pump, coolant regularly checked and treated for SCA's
Glow plugs are good
New motor mounts just done
Just added the rear interior ceiling with LED lights and speakers.

I'll throw in the wood stove if you want it. :)

This is a lot of truck for the money--and was for me, too. It's like a one ton, except it has bigger brakes, bigger tires, bigger axles, bigger steering, and more capacity. The IDI was doggy with the 5-speed, but the 7-speed really makes it happy.

Since the 7-speed swap, the IDI runs in its sweet spot at about 2,100 rpm. Previously it ran on the governor at 65mph and about 2,800rpm and really sucked fuel. It's not a speed demon, but will hold 65mph all day long. Loaded at 26,000lb (one buggy inside, one on a trailer), you'll be about 45-50mph on the passes (just like the big trucks), and with a single rig inside or empty, holds 55mph up the big hills.

Interior dimensions 8'-2"h x 7'-10"w. We fit a truggy on tons and 42's in the back. Don't like putting rollers on your buggy to haul it in your enclosed? Don't!

Gets about 9.5mpg loaded like this.

Got 8.2mpg loaded like this (5,500lb truggy on tons inside)

KOH? This rig has been there 4 times. This pic was from the first year before I added all the windows and painted it. I do not hesitate to take it cross-country.

It will go pretty good on the level, but you're also pushing a lot of wind.

(I have indoor/outdoor berber carpet cut to fit. Roll it up to haul a dirty/wet rig.)

See less See more
#3 ·
Very easy.

I didn't do it at the time I built it because I didn't think of it.
Then I saw another UHaul build that had the cab and box floors line up almost perfectly.

If it doesn't sell, I will probably still do it.

Are you interested Jeremy? I need a winter project. :)

Oh, the 2-way fridge didn't work so I replaced it with a cabinet and used a cooler. I scored a 3-way fridge I can throw in. Also, this furnace didn't have a blower, which was great for dry camping. I got a ducted furnace with the fridge...it could be installed with a remodel.

#17 ·
240k on the chassis, 40k on the engine. As far as I know, it was rebuilt the last year it was a UHaul.

No set plans to go to Denver, but my brother and SIL live in Ft. Collins and I have a new neice I haven't met yet. I can catch a direct flight home, so Denver would be convenient.

#19 ·
I got lazy looking through the 40page build. Whats the sleaping situation? I can kinda see an extension on the cab over part. Have pics? Whats the overall length of the box and length to first thing that you cant drive past? Any chance of an overhead view sketch with dimn? Thanks

#20 ·
Extension on the cab over part for a queen sized bed.

I have two bunks in the back that hang from the cargo rails that can be positioned pretty much anywhere. I am building two or 3 more to use for KOH since we'll be using it like a "bunkhouse" for the week. I just put hinges on the bunks and they can flip up between the rails, or pull off entirely and stack against a wall (lower left).

I also cut a piece of plywood that fits between the rails. We've used it along the back as a double bed, or stick it up high and use it for a storage shelf.

We also have a loveseat hide-a-bed that folds out into a double bed.

26' long x 8' wide at the roofline, 23' of floor space. Cabinets are 2' deep, so there is 21' of clear floor space when I yank the couch.

Attachments

#21 ·
Here are more interior pics from the build thread.

The aluminum floor was COLD without carpet. I cut an indoor-outdoor berber to fit, so it's warm when camping...and I roll it up so tires don't get it all dirty when hauling.

Attachments

#22 ·
You can see the aluminum roof structure in the first pic. I put 2" insulation all the way back to the stove pipe, then furred it down, added the wood ceiling you can see 2 posts up, and added LED lights and speakers.

#26 · (Edited)
As of right now, we'll be hauling two rigs down with it, so it would be a major PITA to get both of them back to MT without it. If it were just me, I'd grab a flight, no problem.

I'd be very happy to show it to you KOH week. That said, if you decided to buy it, I could drive it back down and maybe we could meet up in Vegas and I could grab a cheap Allegiant flight home.

You know you wanna go 65mph on the highway in CA hauling a rig inside. :grinpimp:

Edit: it is currently registered, insured, and titled as an RV in MT. :smokin:

#27 ·
Ill track you down and check it out at koh if you still have it. Shouldnt be to hard to miss. Do you have an area you guys normally camp? It seems like I remember a similar rig on the left just before the last wash comming to hamertown

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.