Starcraft OFF ROAD tent trailer $2200/East Bay - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Classifieds > Vehicles and Trailers For Sale
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Starcraft OFF ROAD tent trailer $2000/Bay Area

I have had so much fun the last couple of years with this 1984 Starcraft Starflyer 19 camper trailer that I'm having real second thoughts about selling it. But I've bought a camper van to tow my 4x4, so I won't need to continue to use my 4x4 to tow this camper trailer.

This pop up tent trailer was all stock when I bought it, and I knew the previous owners who had it for many years and took good care of it. They were the 2nd owners who bought it from an older couple who no longer could handle driving and camping with a trailer due to their age.

Overall, the camper is in good condition and is mechanically sound. It has been modified to fit 31 inch all terrain tires so that it is capable of getting you out of the busy campgrounds and into the more remote camping spots where you'd normally have to pitch a regular tent. It's too big for hardcore trails like the Rubicon or Fordyce, but it's been to Deer Valley, Pismo dunes, Hollister Hills, and all over the Sierras. I've towed it through sand, snow, rocks, mud, and water, and its only limiting factor is its size. If it'll fit, it'll make it!

As for the height, it's been lifted about 12 inches with a very over-built subframe. This allowed me to retain the factory style axle underneath it, which means NO TRAILER SWAY on the freeway, even with the camper's tires aired down for the trail, and the camper's electric brakes are still available to use, although I never bothered to use them. It's set up to tow behind my 1985 Toyota 4Runner on 35 inch tires without having to use a drop-hitch, so that there is maximum ground clearance under the tongue for off road driving. Even with a stock 4 cylinder engine and loads of gear, my Toyota has no problems at all towing the camper at 70+ miles per hour on flat highway or maintaining decent speed up the steep mountain passes. It would tow beautifully behind a Jeep CJ, Cherokee or Wrangler, Bronco, Blazer, or any half ton pickup or SUV.

I've taken good care of the trailer and made sure I've maintained it. I repacked the wheel bearings just to be on the safe side. The last time I used the camper (last fall) everything worked well, and I've always kept it parked in a barn underneath a cloth fitted camper trailer cover. I never really used its refrigerator (propane/electric) because on the bumpy trails everything inside would bounce around and my Cokes would get all shaken up. I converted the valve to use the new-style propane tanks. I cleaned and rejetted the stove so it works like new, which can be used to cook inside or outside. I modified the inside table to be used as a cooking/eating table that can mount outside to the side of the camper right beside the stove. I used the gas furnace a few times on especially cold nights when snow camping and it worked surprisingly well. It's kinda slow to get fired up and the fan is a bit noisy, but that's just how this type of furnace works. I never used the sink, but I do know the pump works fine. The power inverter works great and allows you to use your electric razor or laptop computer or whatever without having to have the camper plugged in to a 110v outlet. The inside florescent overhead light and outside area light work fine, but the inside incandescent light is burnt out. I never bothered to replace it because the florescent light has more than enough light and it uses less battery power than the incandescent light does. There's a roof vent to keep it cool in the summer, and all the sides are screened so you can have fresh cool air without the bugs. The canvas is original so don't expect it to be like new, but there are no cuts in it. I've always been very gentle with the zippers and when raising/lowering the roof just to be sure that I don't damage the fabric. The door is lockable so you can keep your gear safe inside while out hiking or 4 wheeling on the harder trails.

The camper will officially sleep 6, but that's pretty packed. It's very comfortable for 4, as there are 2 full-size beds that slide out. The inside table and sofas convert to a 3rd bed, but I've never tried sleeping there. The slide-out beds are so much warmer and softer than sleeping on the ground in a tent, you'll never want to go back to the old way of camping again! When camping with my friends, I would usually have my camper set up and my dinner already cooking before they even finished pitching their tent and loading it up with their air mattresses and sleeping bags! And when packing up camp, since you don't have to fold up a dirty tent, it's much quicker, cleaner, and easier to get back on the road at the end of a long weekend.

The tent isn't perfect, but it's great for its intended purpose. It has a few small dents and dings (as to be expected for a camper this old) but it's never been wrecked or had any significant bumps or crashes. The corner of the flimsy rear bumper got pulled off on a rock, and the outside propane valve service door was missing since I bought the camper, and the seams in the canvas are showing their age, but overall this camper is in good shape and has really served me well.

I could easily remove the lift and put it back to stock, but I'd much rather see it go to another off road enthusiast. That's also why I'm asking such a low price (significantly less than I paid for it a couple years ago, without the lift, without the big tires, and without the conversion to the new-style propane tanks) because I know how hard it is to find a truly off-road suitable trailer. If I can't find a 4-wheeler who's interested, I will just remove the lift and put it back to stock, but that will break my heart. This camper is truly something special, and I want somebody to have as much fun with it as I have. Just wait until you see the looks from people in other vehicles when they come across you way out in the boonies miles from the nearest pavement in your own private Hilton!

Check out the pictures to see how well the camper works off-road, and feel free to email me with any questions. I'm available anytime this weekend or weekday evenings if you'd like to come see it. It is located in Concord, California.
Attached Images

Last edited by RockMolester; 04-15-2007 at 11:23 PM.
RockMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14707
wish u were closer!
'87k5 swapped in blown 2.8, th350, 208, 12" suspension lift, custom 5" body lift, ARB locked 10 bolts f/r w/ 2.73's, 49" irocks... never rub = I'M HARDCORE!!! goes anywhere, never been stuck. still rockin despite the hate...you're all just jealous
reeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Yeah I do too, but I'm willing to work with out-of-staters.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Here's a couple more pics since I've had so many people asking for more/bigger photos:
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Forgot to mention, these pics were all taken with 235/75 tires. It's on 32x11.50's now, on 15x8 5x4.5" black steel rockcrawler wheels.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
By request, here are some more photos of the camper:
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
...and a few more.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
bump
Old 04-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Lots of "tire kickers" but no buyer yet. Still available.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
I LOOOVE ROCKS!

Member # 28602
Sold!